Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
10-06-2019, 09:16   #1471
Bonniedog
Registered User
 
Bonniedog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 5,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdmc5 View Post
. People like you seem to struggle with a basic concept that others wont always enjoy the same thing you do

…..

LOI Fans like you remind me of Vegans who cant understand people that eat meat - Just astounding smallminded.


I honestly do not have a problem with other people enjoy things differently to me. I'm in my 50s, vive la difference and all that.

I do think that there is value in having an intimate connection with the place you come from. There is an American chap called Wendell Berry is good on all that. Although he wouldn't be on the internet talking about it, as he never bought a computer

Not an LOI fan as it happens. Used to go to Milltown 40 years ago in the Mick Leech era. Vast majority of games I go to now are Dublin county hurling or club games, but have friends who are Bohs members (one or two of them not be greatly fond of GAA as it happens!) so we have a common bond of being part of a pretty small community.

I suppose it is the same thing as people who prefer blues sessions or trad sessions or live rock gigs with local bands as opposed to just consuming via the media. If others choose differently then, that's their choice.

What's unique about any culture are things distinct to it. Not that people in Malaysia or Japan are besotted with EPL or American baseball. Is there a Game of Thrones community?

Probably.
Bonniedog is online now  
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
10-06-2019, 09:28   #1472
8-10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 11,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Gazebo View Post
I'm glad to see you admitted that. This is what it's about, the Irish people should care about the LOI being successful. Do you not want to see the LOI get a little bigger and more professional at all so? So that you could go 5 mins down the road to a 20000 packed out dublin Derby for some real blood and guts football?
I could say the same about many sports though. Why can't we fill Malahide for a test match? Why watch the Ashes on TV and not to down to Merrion and support local cricket? Stop our best players going to England? Why do we struggle to fund a baseball diamond in Ashbourne? People watch Red Sox and Yankees and many are travelling over to the London Series this month. Same with NFL over the local league here, why not try make it professional? Why don't people in Donegal get behind hurling more? Why do connacht get lower attendances than Leinster? Why do we watch amateur Boxing and Track in the Olympics but don't go to local events here? Why is our Curling team based in Scotland, unable to get rink time on this island?

Everyone has different interests mate. Why should I care about the LOI being professional because you do? I'm not saying I wouldn't be happy about it, I would. But I'd much prefer to see more investment in baseball and cricket before it because those are games I'd prefer to go to locally
8-10 is offline  
10-06-2019, 09:38   #1473
Jim Gazebo
Registered User
 
Jim Gazebo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8-10 View Post
I could say the same about many sports though. Why can't we fill Malahide for a test match? Why watch the Ashes on TV and not to down to Merrion and support local cricket? Stop our best players going to England? Why do we struggle to fund a baseball diamond in Ashbourne? People watch Red Sox and Yankees and many are travelling over to the London Series this month. Same with NFL over the local league here, why not try make it professional? Why don't people in Donegal get behind hurling more? Why do connacht get lower attendances than Leinster? Why do we watch amateur Boxing and Track in the Olympics but don't go to local events here? Why is our Curling team based in Scotland, unable to get rink time on this island?

Everyone has different interests mate. Why should I care about the LOI being professional because you do? I'm not saying I wouldn't be happy about it, I would. But I'd much prefer to see more investment in baseball and cricket before it because those are games I'd prefer to go to locally
You are missing the point by miles!
Jim Gazebo is offline  
(2) thanks from:
10-06-2019, 09:44   #1474
8-10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 11,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Gazebo View Post
You are missing the point by miles!
You're saying "the Irish people" should support LOI

I'm saying that we have much more diverse interests as a people than that.

I'm more interested in EPL being successful personally
8-10 is offline  
10-06-2019, 10:51   #1475
gormdubhgorm
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 7,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8-10 View Post
Why do Irish people watch British soaps - “I don’t, I watch Irish ones”

Why do Irish people support English clubs - “I don’t, I support Irish ones”


My impression of your argument is that you don’t get why others don’t like to do the same thing as you for the same reasons you do it based on this individualistic response to a broader question about Irish people in general

Keeps getting said here - people have different interests and not everybody cares about the LOI being successful
Rubbish that is just my preference now you are moving the goalposts to targeting me.

People (auld wans mostly) like soaps watch/watched love hate, eastenders. fair city coronation street, Glenroe etc.

People who like films watch all sorts of films regardless of where they are made.

But people who watch soccer in Ireland only watch EPL mostly.
They actively avoid Irish clubs

I am not a soccer person ( I am GAA person), I do not consider myself a supporter of any team.
I watch it now and again on telly. I might even go to the odd game if the humour takes me, but I would not consider myself a supporter of a soccer team. But nonetheless (for example) I will be going to Rovers v Dundalk this month for the craic.

If I was an Irish soccer person I would be going to as much games as I can everywhere. Regardless of 'quality'.
But most Irish people don't they fool themselves into thinking they are soccer people but they ignore thier own teams!

Last edited by gormdubhgorm; 10-06-2019 at 11:24.
gormdubhgorm is offline  
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
10-06-2019, 10:58   #1476
gormdubhgorm
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 7,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8-10 View Post
You're saying "the Irish people" should support LOI

I'm saying that we have much more diverse interests as a people than that.

I'm more interested in EPL being successful personally
'Diverse interests' reads as snobbery let's be honest.
It is like those who would not be seen dead at a carvery but go to a five star restaurant because the food is 'too die for'.
Less food (sense of community is the 'food' of an area) , nice presentation (marketing/branding) more expensive (ticket prices/travel).

If you were a true soccer man you would support your local team or even an Irish team.
As doing so would benefit Irish soccer in long run and you would get to see games because you like the sport.
So instead of even supporting an Irish team as well you would rather solely support an English team.
So do you identify with English culture and all things English more than Irish?
Regardless of what it says on your passport?
Is that the problem?
Or is it just purely branding it has to be branded for you to get it.
Do you only buy deisgner clothes or do you shop at Dunnes?

Last edited by gormdubhgorm; 10-06-2019 at 11:27.
gormdubhgorm is offline  
10-06-2019, 11:11   #1477
atilladehun
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by gormdubhgorm View Post
But those who really love the sport would support thier local team.
As it represents thier area, they can attend live games on a regular basis etc.
For you the sport is community for others it's different things. Some have mentioned the commercialism but it also could be watching the best in the world play in well drilled teams. The example of the poor champions league final proves this. The standard of the top teams is phenomenal. This is true for many other sports, why we all get sucked into a new sport at the Olympics or how theres so many people who love NFL. Watching people do sport well is deadly.

Some people mentioned how GAA and soccer people often cannot abide the other sport, this was raised in context of the soccer attendances abroad. There's far far more who like multiple sports and It's still a significant point. The GAA was founded on community and attracts many people to whom that appeals to. If it didn't exist they'd probably be supporting soccer. GAA definitely detracts from the type of people who would go watch soccer.


Finally, it seems to me that huge amounts of people have been to LOI games a number of times and not become regulars. The community and live thing isn't for them. They want other things.
atilladehun is offline  
Thanks from:
10-06-2019, 11:13   #1478
atilladehun
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by gormdubhgorm View Post
'Diverse interests' reads as snobbery lets be honest.
It is like those who would not be seen dead at a carvery but go to a five star restaurant because the food is 'too die for'.
Less food nice presentation more expensive.

If you were a true soccer man you would support your local team or even an Irish team.
As doing so would benefit Irish soccer in long run and you would get to see games because you like the sport.
So instead of even supporting an Irish team as well you would rather solely support an English team.
So do you identify with English culture and all things English more than Irish?
Regardless of what it says on your passport?
Is that the problem?
Or is it just purely branding it has to be branded for you to get it.
Do you only buy deisgner clothes or do you shop at Dunnes?
This seems like nationalist snobbery though.
atilladehun is offline  
10-06-2019, 11:16   #1479
gormdubhgorm
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 7,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdmc5 View Post
I live maybe 15misn from Cork city stadium. I have enjoyed going to many Cork City Games as well over the last 25 years (LOI, UEFA Cup etc) but i am definitely far more a Liverpool Fan than a Cork City fan and always have been.

I really dont enjoy the poor standard of football that LOI offers and threads like this only confirm that theres this cohort of LOI fans that have this almost misguided sense of superiority as a fan because they supoort a LOI team than one in UK. LOI Fans like you remind me of Vegans who cant understand people that eat meat - Just astounding smallminded.
So you consider yourself a soccer man even go to Cork games but are not proud of the club?
I thought people in Cork were proud of thier City - a proud city?

I assume by your post you are in your late 20's and grew up with the marketing of the EPL. It looks like that marketing has really 'done a job' on you.
To say it is 'small-minded' for people to want to support thier local club is baffling.
As using the phrase shows that you implicitly think that all things Irish are inferior/backward ?
And to compare it to a vegan v meat argument is even more baffling.
It is still soccer, it is a soccer game.
I support no soccer team but I can understand why the LOI fans would be livid at this attitude. It's mad, it is not just mental gymnastics it is almost cult like.
The 'cult of consumerism' which has nothing to do with the sport of soccer itself which you claim to love.





.

Last edited by gormdubhgorm; 10-06-2019 at 11:28.
gormdubhgorm is offline  
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
10-06-2019, 11:17   #1480
Hobosan
Registered User
 
Hobosan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 579
Only smooth brained folk don't recognise why Irish people support English teams and play the lotto.
Hobosan is offline  
10-06-2019, 11:21   #1481
gormdubhgorm
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 7,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by atilladehun View Post
This seems like nationalist snobbery though.
.


No it's community, creating a sense of community.
Supporting Irish jobs and the Irish economy.
If Irish soccer people really cared about Irish soccer they would go to Irish soccer games.
Some pretend to by supporting the Irish national team (team of journeymen pros mostly) but that that is about it. The Irish EPL supporters have to do some mental gymnastics to justify that as it is - quality is poor etc. But they can ignore that for Ireland games because the players at least play in England?
gormdubhgorm is offline  
Thanks from:
10-06-2019, 11:30   #1482
Hobosan
Registered User
 
Hobosan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by gormdubhgorm View Post
The 'cult of consumerism' which has nothing to do with the sport of soccer itself which you claim to love.
Grown Irish men screaming at televisions in pubs while watching English clubs is a marketing campaign that will remain permanently imprinted on susceptible children.

Last edited by Hobosan; 10-06-2019 at 11:38.
Hobosan is offline  
10-06-2019, 11:45   #1483
Omackeral
Registered User
 
Omackeral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 27,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8-10 View Post
You're saying "the Irish people" should support LOI

I'm more interested in EPL being successful personally
The Irish football supporters: Best Fans In The World
Omackeral is offline  
10-06-2019, 11:48   #1484
D14Rugby
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 2,793
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8-10 View Post
You're saying "the Irish people" should support LOI

I'm saying that we have much more diverse interests as a people than that.

I'm more interested in EPL being successful personally
Do you realise how bad that sounds? You're saying you would rather the English equivalent of something we have in Ireland be more successful than its Irish counterpart? Should we just sign back up to the union then? It's one thing to say that it is better but to say you want it to be better, piss right off with that sort of attitude.
D14Rugby is offline  
10-06-2019, 12:08   #1485
gormdubhgorm
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 7,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8-10 View Post
You're saying "the Irish people" should support LOI

I'm saying that we have much more diverse interests as a people than that.

I'm more interested in EPL being successful personally


Quote:
Originally Posted by D14Rugby View Post
Do you realise how bad that sounds? You're saying you would rather the English equivalent of something we have in Ireland be more successful than its Irish counterpart? Should we just sign back up to the union then? It's one thing to say that it is better but to say you want it to be better, piss right off with that sort of attitude.
I think is shocking to be honest.
It is not even because the EPL standard is better alone.
It seems to be because Irish club soccer is Irish!?

Yet the same fella would be out with the Irish flags, jersey on 'ole ole ole, stand up for the boys in green' when Ireland play (the big games) and he identifies with the EPL.
But does not see the connection between more people supporting league soccer in Ireland, and the benefits for the Irish national team, overtime.

So the Irish soccer team has to solely survive on citizenship rules and get the likes of Robinson, McGoldrick, O'Dowda, Keogh, Christie, Lawrence etc
And the Good Friday agreement - Duffy, McClean (they were allowed to switch from NI to ROI because of it)

Sure that's grand isn't it?
Don't try and watch Shane Long, Coleman, Doyle, McClean, Ward when they played in the LOI sure it's ****e anyway.
Don't support the teams and improve the level of the Airtricity League so those players stay in Ireland longer.
Meaning more transfer funds for teams, better facilities, etc
Sure why bother it is all about the EPL?
Sure why bother helping the standard rise in Ireland?
There are Super Sunday's and MNF to watch on the telly.

The Artricity League 'will always walk alone, will always walk alone' it seems.
Fair play to them for holding thier 'head up high' though. In the face of this attitude it must be soul destroying.

Last edited by gormdubhgorm; 10-06-2019 at 12:43.
gormdubhgorm is offline  
(3) thanks from:
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet