Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

07-06-2019, 21:53   #1351
hetuzozaho

Quote:
Originally Posted by odyssey06 View Post
Plus, surely the worst kind of active consumer is a reality TV show voter!
Haha yeah, or a Jeremy Kyle show audience member. A "real" fan though, away days and all
Thanks from:
Advertisement
07-06-2019, 21:53   #1352
8-10

Quote:
Someone call the cops cos I think I just witnessed someone stealing a point!
Nah we were in the game. They were better in the second half but panicked a bit in the final third.

I've seen us play much much worse than that
(2) thanks from:
07-06-2019, 21:54   #1353
odyssey06

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmetSpiceland View Post
A more subtle kind? Like what, the kind who’d rob you with a pen or a spreadsheet?
If there is any “scum” at international, Pro14 or AIL rugby games they keep very quiet. I haven’t seen, or heard, of any hooliganism at a rugby match in nearly 30 years of going.
Maybe they mean the youth stuff...
https://www.thejournal.ie/senior-cup...24291-Jan2018/

Or just the players...
https://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2019/...investigation/

Seems like you are OK in the stadium, just not so much afterwards.
07-06-2019, 21:56   #1354

Too busy posting about people supporting English teams to bother watching the Irish team play. You couldn't make it up!
Thanks from:
07-06-2019, 22:00   #1355
gormdubhgorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8-10 View Post
Nah we were in the game. They were better in the second half but panicked a bit in the final third.

I've seen us play much much worse than that
I can't disagree there.
Denmark will be raging though.

Plus I saw a fella with a Cork City jersey in the crowd - fair play to him.
The green jersey can double for Ireland support.
Advertisement
07-06-2019, 22:02   #1356
EmmetSpiceland

Quote:
Maybe they mean the youth stuff...
https://www.thejournal.ie/senior-cup...24291-Jan2018/

Or just the players...
https://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2019/...investigation/

Seems like you are OK in the stadium, just not so much afterwards.
A “brawl” due to underage drinking? An ex player smacking a younger lad? A player pissing on someone’s leg in a pub or riding someone’s girlfriend at a house party he crashed?

Three out of those four examples happened without a game being on that day. The first one relates to schools rugby so I don’t believe it’s applicable here.

We’re talking “scum” causing grief at, or around, rugby matches. I don’t believe rugby has any hooligan or trouble making issues.

The image that LoI has regarding crowd issues and hooliganism still hasn’t gone away, hopefully with all the renewed interest and attendances that will change but there’s no contest when it comes to “match safety” at a rugby match.
07-06-2019, 22:09   #1357
odyssey06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bateman View Post
Maybe not you personally but prevalent views
ps half the time it's only said because some LOI weirdo fan starts going on about 'real fans', so it's met with the automatic response of "well the LOI is ****e".
(It doesn't mean all LOI fans are weirdos or that the LOI is always ****e).
07-06-2019, 22:11   #1358
odyssey06

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboKlopp View Post
Too busy posting about people supporting English teams to bother watching the Irish team play. You couldn't make it up!
You can do both. Especially given that the ball is in play for about 60 minutes of the 90.
07-06-2019, 22:13   #1359
Bonniedog

Quote:
Originally Posted by hetuzozaho View Post
Something being "crap" is subjective I guess, some people find soccer to be "crap", the shock and horror of it all

I think it is a bit more than subjective.

Rap is cr@p compared to Motown or jazz for example.

Foster and Allen is cr@p compared to the Dubliners.

Sitting in a pub half comatose watching Sky droning most EPL games is cr@p compared to walking up the road to Dalymount or Tolka Park or Oriel Park or wherever.

But lots of people prefer all of those things. Which is their choice and no-one should deny them that.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
07-06-2019, 22:34   #1360
hetuzozaho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonniedog View Post

Sitting in a pub half comatose watching Sky droning most EPL games is cr@p compared to walking up the road to Dalymount or Tolka Park or Oriel Park or wherever.
Might have missed the discussion about the merits of sitting in a pub half comatose!
I know lads who go down the pub after Richmond Park and get half comatose haha Might be for a different thread though!
07-06-2019, 22:37   #1361
FourFourFM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edenmoar View Post
Some of us were freezing our gonads off in Dalymount last night.
The EPL is a slick product with tonnes of marketing behind it and far more attractive to people than irish football unfortunately. Plus every irish Liverpool or Yenira fan has a “Me Uncle worked der on the sites in the 80s and used to bring me back programs nall” story as justification.
This may come as a shock to your gonads but it can be very cold in the grounds of English clubs too. This doesn’t stop Irish people from paying a the money to go and attend the games.

You don’t need justification to support a football team other than it’s something you want to do. It’s people who act like you need to justify supporting a team that are far worse than those who support Man United or Liverpool.
(2) thanks from:
07-06-2019, 22:50   #1362
blade1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboKlopp View Post
You mean they are not even at the game
07-06-2019, 23:15   #1363
Jim Gazebo

Quote:
A more subtle kind? Like what, the kind who’d rob you with a pen or a spreadsheet?

If there is any “scum” at international, Pro14 or AIL rugby games they keep very quiet. I haven’t seen, or heard, of any hooliganism at a rugby match in nearly 30 years of going.
Fair play. 30 years of rugby with no scraps. I believe you thousands wouldnt.
07-06-2019, 23:18   #1364
Jim Gazebo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourFourFM View Post
This may come as a shock to your gonads but it can be very cold in the grounds of English clubs too. This doesn’t stop Irish people from paying a the money to go and attend the games.

You don’t need justification to support a football team other than it’s something you want to do. It’s people who act like you need to justify supporting a team that are far worse than those who support Man United or Liverpool.
Come off it. Support your own league and make it better, you'll enjoy it more. Like give me a break, if it was OK then there'd be a bigger spread of teams followed in England other than Chelsea, arsenal, Liverpool, united and the odd Leeds fan. Its a bandwagon similar to Ireland when they get to a tournament.
07-06-2019, 23:21   #1365
Jim Gazebo

Quote:
A “brawl” due to underage drinking? An ex player smacking a younger lad? A player pissing on someone’s leg in a pub or riding someone’s girlfriend at a house party he crashed?

Three out of those four examples happened without a game being on that day. The first one relates to schools rugby so I don’t believe it’s applicable here.

We’re talking “scum” causing grief at, or around, rugby matches. I don’t believe rugby has any hooligan or trouble making issues.

The image that LoI has regarding crowd issues and hooliganism still hasn’t gone away, hopefully with all the renewed interest and attendances that will change but there’s no contest when it comes to “match safety” at a rugby match.
BUT there isn't an image of crowd trouble at LOI games? Give me a recent example. Pats and City start of the season and a scrap in derry? Now go to the English game and therell be a hell of a lot more. So that excuse is bollocks.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion