Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

04-06-2019, 13:09   #1081
D14Rugby

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8-10 View Post
PSG in the group stage was also amazing. Huddersfield came to town signing "where's your famous atmosphere"....newsflash lads we don't go crazy for Huddersfield at home. It's not atmosphere for the sake of it, it's supporting your team and bringing the noise when the better teams are in town to give your team the push. The LOI or any other league is no different when the bigger fixtures get the larger crowds and louder support.
So your support is conditional. Those games you don't deem worthy of your support are quite often the ones it's needed most. Actually the EPL is pretty unique in that the atmosphere doesn't vary with attendance, which is what happens in other leagues, the importance of the game in most leagues affects the size of the crowd but the atmosphere remains proportional, that's not true in the EPL as stadiums are generally always 90%+ full.
Advertisement
04-06-2019, 14:31   #1082
8-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by D14Rugby View Post
So your support is conditional.
Not in the slightest. The atmosphere differs depending on the size of the game, the support never changes.

This isn't EPL or even soccer-specific. In any sport you get bigger crowds for bigger games, look at Roland Garros this week and you'll see more people for Nadal games than anyone else on the same court. Watch Rory McIlroy in the Irish Open versus in a major and you'll have more people following him around the course. Bigger crowd = bigger atmosphere.

The support doesn't change ever, maybe I was misleading on trying to describe the atmosphere but that's absolutely not what I meant.
04-06-2019, 14:51   #1083
D14Rugby

Quote:
Not in the slightest. The atmosphere differs depending on the size of the game, the support never changes.

This isn't EPL or even soccer-specific. In any sport you get bigger crowds for bigger games, look at Roland Garros this week and you'll see more people for Nadal games than anyone else on the same court. Watch Rory McIlroy in the Irish Open versus in a major and you'll have more people following him around the course. Bigger crowd = bigger atmosphere.

The support doesn't change ever, maybe I was misleading on trying to describe the atmosphere but that's absolutely not what I meant.
You said

Quote:
it's supporting your team and bringing the noise when the better teams are in town
Sounds pretty conditional to me now.

You also completely missed/ignored the point. In leagues other that the EPL the decrease in atmosphere can be explained by a decrease in attendance, attendance doesn't decrease in the EPL but the atmosphere does, its unique in that.
04-06-2019, 14:54   #1084
ohnonotgmail

Quote:
You said

You also completely missed/ignored the point. In leagues other that the EPL the decrease in atmosphere can be explained by a decrease in attendance, attendance doesn't decrease in the EPL but the atmosphere does, its unique in that.
You sound surprised that fans get more excited during games against bigger teams.
04-06-2019, 14:59   #1085
Omackeral

Quote:
Bigger crowd = bigger atmosphere.
Not true at all. Was at Man United vs Spurs myself and all I could hear was a small section of away fans chanting ''60,000 muppets!'' at the masses. Prawn Sandwich brigade and all that.

I've been at matches in dingy auld grounds that wouldn't hold 5k and you could hardly hear yourself think.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
04-06-2019, 15:38   #1086
8-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omackeral View Post
all I could hear was a small section of away fans chanting ''60,000 muppets!'' at the masses
Sounds like great craic!
04-06-2019, 15:41   #1087
DavyD_83

Pretty sure the real answer is 'marketing'
Thanks from:
04-06-2019, 15:41   #1088
Omackeral

Quote:
Sounds like great craic!
It was poison. A dull 0-0 after a ferry ride and a bus trip. One of those over and back things. Just tourists taking pictures by the corner flag and bags of merch hanging off them. Didn't feel like passionate football to me at all.
04-06-2019, 15:41   #1089
ohnonotgmail

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavyD_83 View Post
Pretty sure the real answer is 'marketing'
I dont think marketing existed when i started supporting liverpool.
Advertisement
04-06-2019, 15:43   #1090
DavyD_83

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohnonotgmail View Post
I dont think marketing existed when i started supporting liverpool.
Was there a sponsor on their Jersey?
And now importantly, were they selling jerseys?
04-06-2019, 15:46   #1091
ohnonotgmail

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavyD_83 View Post
Was there a sponsor on their Jersey?
And now importantly, were they selling jerseys?
I dont think there was a sponsor on the jersey at that time. It was mid to late 70's before they started appearing.
04-06-2019, 15:50   #1092
8-10

Quote:
You said

Right well as I say that's not what I meant and sorry if I mislead you in my previous comment. It's absolutely not conditional for me.

The Barcelona game just felt like a better atmosphere because of the context, time of the season, quality of opposition. I didn't support the team anymore than I did in league games, but there's something special about Anfield on a European night. Maybe it's the floodlights and the singing outside beforehand.

Quote:
I specifically linked the size of the crowd to the atmosphere. But you are right that there are sold out grounds that have different atmospheres for different games. In my experience crowd size is a big contributing factor, but time of the season can matter, time of day (early kick offs are crap) i.e. how many pints consumed! and type of opposition which links into quality of the game can also matter. I don't think any of those things are unique really but I admittedly don't have that much to compare to.

Really I think the main difference in atmosphere tends to be Premier League v Champions League with the latter being much better atmosphere. And I put that mostly down to the time of the day coupled with the type of fans who go to the game - Champions League attendees are more likely people who don't get to go as often so make the most of a big night. Premier League is a lot of season ticket holders so it's much harder to get a ticket for.

But there's many many reasons. I just wouldn't trade an Anfield night in the Champions League for any other sporting event or team bar a big Ireland game
04-06-2019, 16:07   #1093
YFlyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omackeral View Post
Not true at all. Was at Man United vs Spurs myself and all I could hear was a small section of away fans chanting ''60,000 muppets!'' at the masses. Prawn Sandwich brigade and all that.

I've been at matches in dingy auld grounds that wouldn't hold 5k and you could hardly hear yourself think.
The Yid army
04-06-2019, 16:09   #1094
YFlyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohnonotgmail View Post
I dont think there was a sponsor on the jersey at that time. It was mid to late 70's before they started appearing.
Hitachi around then?
04-06-2019, 16:10   #1095
ohnonotgmail

Quote:
Originally Posted by YFlyer View Post
Hitachi around then?
1979. I'm older than that.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline