Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

13-06-2019, 22:43   #1681
D14Rugby

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8-10 View Post
So we should be done with the thread then if you're all done wondering why we do it?

Not quite, because yet again as has been explained to you time and time again the thread isn't about why do Irish people support England clubs it's about why they do that as opposed to supporting a LOI club.

The answer to that though is fairly simple too though, a mix of ignorance, snobbery, lazyness and falling for marketing.
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
13-06-2019, 22:44   #1682
8-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by D14Rugby View Post
Cabinteely were a club, just they were a Sunday league one. The lack of a pyramid structure in this country basically just means that if you want to join the LOI you just seem to appear out of nowhere but most don't.
Problem is that Sunday league teams don't have fans so with Cabinteely it did sort of feel like a franchise those first few games. People attending weren't really fans their whole life, they were just going to support local and I'd wager that many already had a team previously
13-06-2019, 23:03   #1683
dundalkfc10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRed2 View Post
Quote:

And people wonder why we support a team like this!
Ahhh let them wonder... There's not a club in the world like Liverpool.
Best supoerters in the world they say. Obvs never watched South American fans but let them at it
(2) thanks from:
13-06-2019, 23:08   #1684
8-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dundalkfc10 View Post
Best supoerters in the world they say. Obvs never watched South American fans but let them at it
Ah I don't compare really. It's just never been boring was the point. Maybe all clubs are like this and I'm just biased but feel great to have experienced all the huge games from Newcastle 4-3 in 1996, Everton 3-2 in 1999, Barça in the semi final this year 4-0 and 2001 1-0 on our way to Dortmund. Roma 5-2, Spartak 7-0, PSG 3-2, Man City 3-0.....it goes on and on.

Every fan can reel off their special games I'm sure. I just feel pride in a lot of our bigger wins, particularly the past 2 seasons.

You gotta enjoy it while you can I suppose! I'm sure the South American lads are the same
13-06-2019, 23:10   #1685
fyfe79

Quote:
Not quite, because yet again as has been explained to you time and time again the thread isn't about why do Irish people support England clubs it's about why they do that as opposed to supporting a LOI club.

The answer to that though is fairly simple too though, a mix of ignorance, snobbery, lazyness and falling for marketing.
Not because the Premier League is a better product than the LOI, no?

Do you consider yourself ignorant etc whenever you watch more Hollywood movies than movies produced by Screen Ireland, for example? I’m sure you only listen to music made by Irish people too? Only wear clothes designed and produced by Irish people?

Just because someone’s from a particular country, does not mean they should feel forced to support a certain industry. Especially when the head of the industry in question here, doesn’t even support it himself!
Thanks from:
Advertisement
13-06-2019, 23:18   #1686
8-10

Quote:

So we are done with the thread then? We know the answer we were looking for? We feel enlightened now?
13-06-2019, 23:29   #1687
trashcan

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMM 0000 View Post
"Why do Irish people watch American movies?"
A very, very, silly comparison. As is asking why people listen to English bands or American bands. I'm passionate about music, probably more so than football, and my favourite bands are Scottish, Irish, American, English, in no particular order. Entertainment is not competition ( which is not to say that competition can't be entertainment.)

People who support English teams are free to do so, of course they are. I don't think you'll find a supporter of an Irish team* who would say any different. The rest of us are equally free to have a view about that support, and to express it. It's just opinions at the end of the day, no really big deal.

*I don't know any such thing as. LOI supporter by the way, people support teams, not leagues.
Thanks from:
13-06-2019, 23:29   #1688
NewRed2

Quote:

Sure yeah it's a big cocktail of ignorance, snobbery, lazyness and being marketing whores.
Absolutely..... Yer a great advert for LOI.
Thanks from:
13-06-2019, 23:58   #1689
D14Rugby

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyfe79 View Post
Not because the Premier League is a better product than the LOI, no?

Do you consider yourself ignorant etc whenever you watch more Hollywood movies than movies produced by Screen Ireland, for example? I’m sure you only listen to music made by Irish people too? Only wear clothes designed and produced by Irish people?

Just because someone’s from a particular country, does not mean they should feel forced to support a certain industry. Especially when the head of the industry in question here, doesn’t even support it himself!
To compare that stuff to football is rediculous but actually yeah if I have the choice between an Irish product and a foreign product I do tend to go for the Irish product.

That last bit sums it up really. I assume you're trying to say that the FAI doesn't support the LOI? That has only been allowed to happen because the general public look(ed) down on the LOI so much that when LOI people were pointing out all the problems in the FAI they were promptly told to shut up by "die hard" fans of English clubs that were oblivious to the deep rooted problems these people were creating and allowing to grow in Irish football.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
14-06-2019, 00:37   #1690
fyfe79

Quote:
To compare that stuff to football is rediculous but actually yeah if I have the choice between an Irish product and a foreign product I do tend to go for the Irish product.

That last bit sums it up really. I assume you're trying to say that the FAI doesn't support the LOI? That has only been allowed to happen because the general public look(ed) down on the LOI so much that when LOI people were pointing out all the problems in the FAI they were promptly told to shut up by "die hard" fans of English clubs that were oblivious to the deep rooted problems these people were creating and allowing to grow in Irish football.
How is it a ridiculous comparison? People consume what they find most entertaining – football falls into that category too. Of course, if the Irish product is as good as the foreign product I would choose Irish every time but would you choose the Irish product if the foreign product was superior? I wouldn't.
For the record, most of my favourite bands happen to be Irish but I certainly don’t feel any compulsion to listen to them ahead of American or UK bands – I consume what I enjoy, regardless of where’s it’s from.

As for the bolded bit – that is some leap! Why would Irish fans of English clubs be telling LOI fans to shut up slagging off the FAI? As long as I’ve followed football, the FAI has been a shambles – why would any Irish supporter try to cover that up? The FAI is poison for the game here. Fans of the LOI know it, fans of the PL know it. It would suit everybody for the FAI to straighten up its act. There's no big conspiracy by PL fans to keep the LOI in the doldrums.
(3) thanks from:
14-06-2019, 00:38   #1691
branie2

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashcan View Post
A very, very, silly comparison. As is asking why people listen to English bands or American bands. I'm passionate about music, probably more so than football, and my favourite bands are Scottish, Irish, American, English, in no particular order. Entertainment is not competition ( which is not to say that competition can't be entertainment.)

People who support English teams are free to do so, of course they are. I don't think you'll find a supporter of an Irish team* who would say any different. The rest of us are equally free to have a view about that support, and to express it. It's just opinions at the end of the day, no really big deal.

*I don't know any such thing as. LOI supporter by the way, people support teams, not leagues.
And lots of people read English books
14-06-2019, 07:03   #1692
Omackeral

Quote:
Ahhh let them wonder... There's not a club in the world like Liverpool.
Manchester United. Historically big, successful, plays in NW of England, has a global brand, wears red and has Irish people calling them "us".
(3) thanks from:
14-06-2019, 07:46   #1693
Jim Gazebo

Quote:
Ah I don't compare really. It's just never been boring was the point. Maybe all clubs are like this and I'm just biased but feel great to have experienced all the huge games from Newcastle 4-3 in 1996, Everton 3-2 in 1999, Barça in the semi final this year 4-0 and 2001 1-0 on our way to Dortmund. Roma 5-2, Spartak 7-0, PSG 3-2, Man City 3-0.....it goes on and on.

Every fan can reel off their special games I'm sure. I just feel pride in a lot of our bigger wins, particularly the past 2 seasons.

You gotta enjoy it while you can I suppose! I'm sure the South American lads are the same
Pride? In what?

The best fans in the world
14-06-2019, 07:48   #1694
Jim Gazebo

Quote:
Sure yeah it's a big cocktail of ignorance, snobbery, lazyness and being marketing whores.
Absolutely..... Yer a great advert for LOI.
They're right. Your looking down on the LOI now just because a guy on boards said you're a snob. That proves the point..
14-06-2019, 07:54   #1695

The "us" thing riles me more than it should.
(3) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion