Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Waterford GAA thread - mod warning post #1 and #51

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Jjjjjjjbarry

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Not being sour but imagine if Gleeson had done it, it certainly would have been shown on tv last night

Probably. They didn’t show the Duggan red card at the end either as the cameras didn’t pick it up they said.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭puzl

Probably. They didn’t show the Duggan red card at the end either as the cameras didn’t pick it up they said.

I still don't know what happened there. Wasn't it a second yellow anyway? Did anyone see the incident clearly.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Deise189

puzl wrote: »
    I still don't know what happened there. Wasn't it a second yellow anyway? Did anyone see the incident clearly.

Yeah it was a second yellow. Duggan and colm roche (I think) competing for a high ball coming in and as they were running for it duggan shouldered roche. Height difference meant contact was shoulder to neck/head. Looked like a terrible challenge from behind but not much intent really I don’t think. Definitely a yelllow but a bit unfortunate it led to a sending off for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭conor05

I have come to hate Clare, Galway and Limerick in no particular order.

The only other county I would shout for would be Wexford, I like their fans. Good people.

I hope we sow it into Limerick and Clare in the Munster round robin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

conor05 wrote: »

The only other county I would shout for would be Wexford, I like their fans. Good people.

Care to elaborate........broad sweeping statement there......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Mulbert

conor05 wrote: »

Conor are u about 14?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Not being sour but imagine if Gleeson had done it, it certainly would have been shown on tv last night

Going to provide an alternative view here, but I thought the Clare lads that were put off were hard done by. I hope the standard of refereeing overall will be a bit more consistent come May

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Going to provide an alternative view here, but I thought the Clare lads that were put off were hard done by. I hope the standard of refereeing overall will be a bit more consistent come May

I thought he made some strange decisions on both sides but I have to agree especially the first sending off, was very harsh. I didn’t see the Pat O Connor incident with Shane Bennett but going by Stephen’s reaction afterwards it must have been nasty. The one thing we ask for is consistency so it’ll be interesting on Sunday next whether the quick pick outs will be hauled back every time like last Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Anyone know where to watch any highlights of the game (and ideally something accessible outside the country). So far nothing up on YouTube.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭puzl

Watch from around 57 - 60 mins on tg4 player to see a few different views of the O'Connor incident that didn't get caught by the ref.

https://www.tg4.ie/en/player/home/?pid=6014761976001&teideal=GAA%20Beo&series=GAA%20Beo&dlft=33

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭whiteandblue

puzl wrote: »
    Watch from around 57 - 60 mins on tg4 player to see a few different views of the O'Connor incident that didn't get caught by the ref.

https://www.tg4.ie/en/player/home/?pid=6014761976001&teideal=GAA%20Beo&series=GAA%20Beo&dlft=33

Should 100% receive a ban, I do think Cleary's was harsh however as was Duggan sending off which is irrelevant really as it was 2 yellows

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

'Hate' is too strong a word for what I felt towards Clare in the decade or so after 1998 - but only just. And I hadn't the excuse of being a teenager. My relationship with Waterford hurling is so much better these days. I don't bring any baggage about other teams to games.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭westcork blue

Given how many have not featured in the league so far it’s going to be very interesting to see what our first 15 will be come May if everyone is fit. Of those missing on Sunday I think only Tadgh and Connor Gleeson are guaranteed to get into the team. Callum Lyons and Colm Roche I think will keep their place with Darragh Fives and Darragh Lyons also very strong contenders. Prunty also must be close but very hard to drop guys who have performed so well over the last few weeks. What team would you like to see picked? For what it’s worth I think it’ll be something like this
    Soc, Conor G, D Fives, Noel
    callum, Kevin, Philip
    Jamie, Tadgh
    Austin, Colm Roche, Paudi
    Tommy Ryan, Steven B, Shane B

Replacements, Billy Nolan, Shane Fives, Prunty, Darragh Lyons, Maurice, Dunford, Mickey Kearney, Pat Curran, brick, Hogan.

It’s a good panel with depth in all lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭upthedeise16

Given how many have not featured in the league so far it’s going to be very interesting to see what our first 15 will be come May if everyone is fit. Of those missing on Sunday I think only Tadgh and Connor Gleeson are guaranteed to get into the team. Callum Lyons and Colm Roche I think will keep their place with Darragh Fives and Darragh Lyons also very strong contenders. Prunty also must be close but very hard to drop guys who have performed so well over the last few weeks. What team would you like to see picked? For what it’s worth I think it’ll be something like this
    callum, Kevin, Philip
    Jamie, Tadgh

Replacements, Billy Nolan, Shane Fives, Prunty, Darragh Lyons, Maurice, Dunford, Mickey Kearney, Pat Curran, brick, Hogan.

Will Conor Gleeson be fit? He hasn’t trained yet

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭blueflame

While we are still very much work in progress, once again we can have little to complain about last Saturdays performance. We combined hard work, commitment with good decision making generally, and more than a bit of flair. Early days as i keep saying but cannot ask for anymore, as i felt Clare did come down here to win and were not shadow boxing - just think the game got away from them on the day.

Re the sending offs - did not have a good view of any incidents at the match, but watching the rerun later that night

Cleary was a bit unlucky but he did bring the hurley down straight in front of him knowing Bennett was there, and if you do this you run the risk of connecting with the head and therefore receiving a straight red.

Duggan was i felt very unlucky, but he did take Roche out in the air - have to admit to not know the rule in hurling, but in other sports deliberately knocking a guy off balance when his two feet are off the ground is considered dangerous play and is a yellow card.

O'Connor - from what i saw on TV it was a disgraceful unprovoked assault that could have caused serious damage, and has not place on the filed of play - how this has not been highlighted is beyond me, probably wil be defended by the mantra of "a mans game" deliberately jabbing a guy with force in the privates is not a mans game.

I also felt that Shanagher was very lucky to get away with an incident on Calum Lyons, Mid way through the first half he had shortened the grip on the hurley and brought the but straight back into Calum Lyons face. I am not saying it was deliberate, but once you hold the Hurley like that and you bring it back like he did, there is a high risk of butting someone and that is reckless and dangerous play.

Clare are a top side, but throughout the league this year they have been conceding a huge amount of frees in almost every game and are being punished. it has been pointed out by come commentators that their discipline is poor and i would have to agree with that, yet you have Moloney cribbing in the papers on Sunday that you would not be getting those free in championship hurling. Maybe he is right and maybe he is not, but poor discipline will cause you more bad than good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Missed the last few games but some brilliant results and performances to match by all accounts. Good depth and it's great to see the positivity around, and with the home games too definitely gives us a good shot. We were on a hiding to nothing last year really going into Munster.

Important not to get ahead of ourselves either though. It'll be very hard to get out of Munster. I'm confident they'll give it a good rattle and hopefully come through. Whatever comes next will sort itself out.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭RayVaughan1984

Missed the last few games but some brilliant results and performances to match by all accounts. Good depth and it's great to see the positivity around, and with the home games too definitely gives us a good shot. We were on a hiding to nothing last year really going into Munster.

Important not to get ahead of ourselves either though. It'll be very hard to get out of Munster. I'm confident they'll give it a good rattle and hopefully come through. Whatever comes next will sort itself out.

As a Tipp man,i would be far more confident of Waterford's chances of emerging in top 3 than ours.
    Barron is a super player ,reminiscent of Modric for Madrid,just everything that Waterford do creatively appears to be channelled through him. Gleeson needed that game to get back into some form and pitched in with some class scores.

Waterford players seem to have more vision than Clare or Indeed Tipp. Moran,O' Mahoney and Connors tend to do the right thing in possession.Clare are over-reliant on Kelly and I would fancy ye to win your first two fixtures in Munster. Barron is best midfielder in the country and ye will take stopping if ye get a few wins. Can't see Tipp being able to handle your attack. Bennetts will do real damage. The Clare fixture In May will be much tighter but unless Clare sort out their discipline,i fancy Waterford.

There is simply too much quality in this Waterford side not to make it, Clare's indiscipline cost them big time,but they were already beat. Cleary pulled a nasty stroke also,no intent to get the ball and deservedly got a red.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭whiteandblue

blueflame wrote: »
    While we are still very much work in progress, once again we can have little to complain about last Saturdays performance. We combined hard work, commitment with good decision making generally, and more than a bit of flair. Early days as i keep saying but cannot ask for anymore, as i felt Clare did come down here to win and were not shadow boxing - just think the game got away from them on the day.

Re the sending offs - did not have a good view of any incidents at the match, but watching the rerun later that night

Cleary was a bit unlucky but he did bring the hurley down straight in front of him knowing Bennett was there, and if you do this you run the risk of connecting with the head and therefore receiving a straight red.

Duggan was i felt very unlucky, but he did take Roche out in the air - have to admit to not know the rule in hurling, but in other sports deliberately knocking a guy off balance when his two feet are off the ground is considered dangerous play and is a yellow card.

O'Connor - from what i saw on TV it was a disgraceful unprovoked assault that could have caused serious damage, and has not place on the filed of play - how this has not been highlighted is beyond me, probably wil be defended by the mantra of "a mans game" deliberately jabbing a guy with force in the privates is not a mans game.

I also felt that Shanagher was very lucky to get away with an incident on Calum Lyons, Mid way through the first half he had shortened the grip on the hurley and brought the but straight back into Calum Lyons face. I am not saying it was deliberate, but once you hold the Hurley like that and you bring it back like he did, there is a high risk of butting someone and that is reckless and dangerous play.

Clare are a top side, but throughout the league this year they have been conceding a huge amount of frees in almost every game and are being punished. it has been pointed out by come commentators that their discipline is poor and i would have to agree with that, yet you have Moloney cribbing in the papers on Sunday that you would not be getting those free in championship hurling. Maybe he is right and maybe he is not, but poor discipline will cause you more bad than good.

A "work in progress" is a very apt description for Waterford at the minute.
    It was a great win and performance but there needs to be some perspective, Clare were very poor and were missing some key players as were Waterford, the wind conditions were difficult for hurling, Waterford only hit 3 wides out of 34 shots etc.
    I look at 10 days ago and journalists and the hurling public were raving about Tipperary's win over Cork and saying how they are back, the week after they are defeated by Dublin after hitting 18 wides. A few weeks ago after Limerick beat Kilkenny well, all the talk was how they can dominate hurling and they go out and lose to Cork and draw with Clare. People are saying Cork aren't playing well and are going to struggle in the media. This is all madness, there seems to be a reaction from the media and the hurling public to individual results and performances. People need to realise that just a few weeks ago, Waterford were very poor against Dublin, who in turn had been poor against Galway.
    The league has been great to develop the panel this year but Waterford are a "work in progress"

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

callum, Kevin, Philip
    Jamie, Tadgh

I’m a bit confused by this. You have a full back who has never played the position, Moran centre back even though he has done all his hurling this year at wing back, Tadhg midfield out of the blue, Colm Roche who played wing back on Saturday playing centre forward.

I’d find it hard to predict a full team for Sunday nearly never mind for championship. Competition is fierce and lads coming back from injuries are going to have a tough job winning the jerseys back.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

DiscoStew wrote: »
    I’m a bit confused by this. You have a full back who has never played the position, Moran centre back even though he has done all his hurling this year at wing back, Tadhg midfield out of the blue, Colm Roche who played wing back on Saturday playing centre forward.

I’d find it hard to predict a full team for Sunday nearly never mind for championship. Competition is fierce and lads coming back from injuries are going to have a tough job winning the jerseys back.
    let alone leave Mikey Kearney out of the starting 15 .unbelievable Jeff

• Advertisement

let alone leave Mikey Kearney out of the starting 15 .unbelievable Jeff

Ya I’d be inclined to agree. Kearney gets through a lot of work, is super to use the ball and bring others into the game and great to take a score. He regularly picks out the player in the better position for simple scores. Could have had a great goal chance if Aussie had spotted him for his 4th point after making a great run in.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭westcork blue

The point being that it’s very hard to predict what a full strength team would be. I think Prunty is too raw for full back and a fit Darragh Fives is our best option
    Regarding Roche or mikey Kearney at cf I think we’ll need more size and work rate and colm offers a better choice as we’re not going with a specific sweeper. We’ll see how it evolves...

• Registered Users Posts: 39,494 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭DeiseDawg

KevIRL wrote: »

Should be retweeted and sent to official gaa

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

A "work in progress" is a very apt description for Waterford at the minute.
    It was a great win and performance but there needs to be some perspective, Clare were very poor and were missing some key players as were Waterford, the wind conditions were difficult for hurling, Waterford only hit 3 wides out of 34 shots etc.
    I look at 10 days ago and journalists and the hurling public were raving about Tipperary's win over Cork and saying how they are back, the week after they are defeated by Dublin after hitting 18 wides. A few weeks ago after Limerick beat Kilkenny well, all the talk was how they can dominate hurling and they go out and lose to Cork and draw with Clare. People are saying Cork aren't playing well and are going to struggle in the media. This is all madness, there seems to be a reaction from the media and the hurling public to individual results and performances. People need to realise that just a few weeks ago, Waterford were very poor against Dublin, who in turn had been poor against Galway.
    The league has been great to develop the panel this year but Waterford are a "work in progress"

There were very few people saying Limerick will dominate hurling . I'd say I didn't hear it once. What was said was that they'd take beating again this year even though they are All Ireland Champions. Regarding Cork, i agree with you they ll be very hard to beat and only a fool would write them off. Waterford have a great chance of getting out of Munster but it would take a great effort to beat both Clare and Limerick at home..

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

KevIRL wrote: »

Filthy stroke. He deserves to be suspended for that.

Any chance of there being action taken at this stage?

Deisegodeo wrote: »

I’d be amazed if anything came of it at this stage, especially given it wasn’t highlighted on League Sunday. He should certainly be facing into a lengthy suspension though.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

DiscoStew wrote: »
    I’d be amazed if anything came of it at this stage, especially given it wasn’t highlighted on League Sunday. He should certainly be facing into a lengthy suspension though.

Yeah I'd agree... ridiculous that suspensions only get handed out if its been highlighted on RTE on the Sunday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

Fifteen minutes into the second half of last Saturday’s game, I remarked to my travelling companion that this was too easy. It seemed to me that once they saw that Waterford were up for the game and determined to win it, Clare were not prepared to make a battle of it. They also gave away a ridiculous number of needless frees in situations where they were under no pressure, and where these were within scoring distance, the flawless Stephen Bennett exacted the inevitable punishment.

This is not to diminish an excellent Waterford performance. They worked hard to close down the Clare running game, reducing them in the end to sending long hopeful balls into their full forward line with virtually no return. It was a bit of a gamble on Pádraig Fanning’s part to assign Callum Lyons to mark Clare’s dangerous full forward Aron Shanagher. I don’t know if Lyons ever played in the full back line before. Shanagher did get the better of him in a couple of duels in the first half, but in the second half Lyons acted as an able assistant to the outstanding Noel Connors in snuffing out the Clare inside line.

In contrast to Clare in the second half, in the first half Waterford sent a stream of good low, or well-directed, ball into their full forwards. Very prominent here was Colm Roche. Again, his placing at right half back was unusual, as he has played all his hurling for Waterford, and UCC, in the forwards as far as I am aware. Making his first appearance of the year, and with very little previous senior experience, he slotted in as though he had been there all along, and gave an excellent account of himself.

The one misgiving I would have about the first half performance is that the fact that, on three occasions, Waterford players (Shane Bennett, Jack Prendergast and Pauric Mahony) broke through the Clare outer line of defence and on all three occasions, they lost the ball when they carried it up to the Clare 13 metre line. More work needs to be done to ensure that, in such situations, there are team mates available to take the killer pass, and that this pass is delivered.

In the second half, Waterford had less need to put good ball into the full forwards, as it became so easy to hit points from distance with the aid of the wind, especially when the opportunites were coughed up by silly Clare fouls. It was good once again to see the heads-up hurling and the determination not to hit the ball blindly unless it was absolutely necessary. This gave rise to some really good passing movements. Above all, the high skill levels of this group of hurlers were demonstrated in abundance.

I thought that Jack Prendergast was Waterford’s top player in the first half, although he faded from the game after the change of ends. He has a great ability to pick balls and run past players. In fact, there is a great spread of players able to run at defences in this panel (Prendergast, Jamie Barron, Shane Bennett, Thomas Ryan, Mikey Kearney, Peter Hogan, Maurice Shanahan, DJ Foran) and there is nothing better to strike fear in, and draw fouls from, opposing defences.

Finally, it was great to see Kieran Bennett togged out following his injury, and to see Maurice Shanahan taking the field again, adding further to the selection difficulties facing the team management. And this is before the Fives brothers, Tadhg de Búrca, Conor Prunty and Conor Gleeson come back on board!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Jjjjjjjbarry

Deisegodeo wrote: »

If it was a helmet pulling incident they would have no problem looking into it e.g Stephen Bennett a couple of years back and Aussie who was very lucky but still got investigated. That type of strike on Shane Bennett is beyond "a jab" and was a wild pull with intent to do harm and should be dealt with seriously.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement