Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Forum Closed  

18-02-2010, 14:41   #1
belmulletman

Apartment Insurance

Hi,

I'm just running through QD.ie for insurance on my Apartment.
I moved in over 6 months ago and transferred my exsisting insurance to it (was contents insurance I had in my last rented acc.)
In the "important notes" one of the points is: "Not more than 31% of the roof is flat or has a mineral felt covering". The apartment block has a flat roof. How does this affect me.
The structure is covered by block insurance, all i'm looking for is contents insurance.
Does that point affect my qualifying for insurance for my apartment. NOTE: I'm also looking to cover some "risks" - laptop, watch, etc...

Thanks in advance,
Tony.
18-02-2010, 14:47   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by belmulletman View Post
Hi,

I'm just running through QD.ie for insurance on my Apartment.
I moved in over 6 months ago and transferred my exsisting insurance to it (was contents insurance I had in my last rented acc.)
In the "important notes" one of the points is: "Not more than 31% of the roof is flat or has a mineral felt covering". The apartment block has a flat roof. How does this affect me.
The structure is covered by block insurance, all i'm looking for is contents insurance.
Does that point affect my qualifying for insurance for my apartment. NOTE: I'm also looking to cover some "risks" - laptop, watch, etc...

Thanks in advance,
Tony.
Tony

That is fine - the purpose of the statement in relation to the flat roof is to exclude premises of non standard construction (mineral felt roof on a private house) As a flat concrete roof is standard construction for an apartment this is acceptable.

Graham
18-02-2010, 14:48   #3
belmulletman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Weir View Post
Tony

That is fine - the purpose of the statement in relation to the flat roof is to exclude premises of non standard construction (mineral felt roof on a private house) As a flat concrete roof is standard construction for an apartment this is acceptable.

Graham
Thanks Graham,
Just thought I'd run it by you guys to be double sure!
18-02-2010, 15:01   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by belmulletman View Post
Thanks Graham,
Just thought I'd run it by you guys to be double sure!
You are right - better safe than sorry.

Graham
23-02-2010, 19:18   #5

Quote:
Tony

Graham
That's not correct. You've made an assumption there that it is a concrete roof. The reason you were asked that question is that mineral felt roofs can leak and subsequently damage contents. The structure is covered by the block policy but your insurers have the right to ask the question as it could affect their policy.

It is probably a standard construction roof on a modern apartment block but not necessarily. Check it out
24-02-2010, 11:51   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldyouth View Post
That's not correct. You've made an assumption there that it is a concrete roof. The reason you were asked that question is that mineral felt roofs can leak and subsequently damage contents. The structure is covered by the block policy but your insurers have the right to ask the question as it could affect their policy.

It is probably a standard construction roof on a modern apartment block but not necessarily. Check it out
You are correct that the reason that we ask the question in relation to the construction in order to eliminate the increased chance of claims from a mineral felt roof. The fact is that if the building is standard construction the policy is OK for cover and if it is not it is outside our criteria. I have never come across a purpose built apartment block with a mineral felt roof but if this refers to one then a policy cannot be incepted.

I hope this helps.
24-02-2010, 13:33   #7

Quote:
You are correct that the reason that we ask the question in relation to the construction in order to eliminate the increased chance of claims from a mineral felt roof. The fact is that if the building is standard construction the policy is OK for cover and if it is not it is outside our criteria. I have never come across a purpose built apartment block with a mineral felt roof but if this refers to one then a policy cannot be incepted.

I hope this helps.
My point was that you made an assumption the roof had a concrete roof and the question asked about flat or mineral felt. Many modern apartment blocks can have vulcanised rubber membrane roofs and this too is non-standard and needs to be declared to insurers
Forum Closed