Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

26-01-2020, 11:43   #1
Ben D Bus

Battery alternative to storage heaters

Just a thought that popped into my head recently while watching a YouTube video on the Tesla powerwall.

My apartment is heated exclusively by electricity, primarily by storage heaters.

I found myself wondering about the economics of replacing storage heaters with regular electric heaters but powered from a battery which charges on night rate electricity.

Given the lack of controllability of storage heaters, losses during times when I'm not home etc., there would be some advantages to batteries. They can hold their energy better than a hot brick, have electronic timers and thermostats and so on.

As I'm not aware of any such products I guess the economics aren't there but does anyone have an estimate of how close (or far) batteries are from competing with storage heaters?

Also how would the energy density compare? Would a battery with equivalent capacity of a storage heater be the size of my living room?

As you can see I've done none of the math on this!

Last edited by Ben D Bus; 26-01-2020 at 11:52.
Advertisement
02-02-2020, 06:24   #2
ercork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben D Bus View Post
Just a thought that popped into my head recently while watching a YouTube video on the Tesla powerwall.

My apartment is heated exclusively by electricity, primarily by storage heaters.

I found myself wondering about the economics of replacing storage heaters with regular electric heaters but powered from a battery which charges on night rate electricity.

Given the lack of controllability of storage heaters, losses during times when I'm not home etc., there would be some advantages to batteries. They can hold their energy better than a hot brick, have electronic timers and thermostats and so on.

As I'm not aware of any such products I guess the economics aren't there but does anyone have an estimate of how close (or far) batteries are from competing with storage heaters?

Also how would the energy density compare? Would a battery with equivalent capacity of a storage heater be the size of my living room?

As you can see I've done none of the math on this!
Looks like somebody has been thinking along the same lines as you:

https://www.treehugger.com/clean-tec...ric-bills.html
Thanks from:
02-02-2020, 23:16   #3
Ben D Bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ercork View Post
Looks like somebody has been thinking along the same lines as you:

https://www.treehugger.com/clean-tec...ric-bills.html
Thanks for that. Interesting. The article is 3 years old and they haven't taken over the world yet so I'm guessing the economics still aren't there.
04-02-2020, 07:31   #4
Markcheese

I suppose the first thing to find out is how much juice one of you current storage heaters takes in on a normal off peak cycle, then compare that to an equivalent battery or power wall ...
Are your storage heaters any good , or do you feel that the house is being heated when you don't want it to be ..?
04-02-2020, 11:06   #5
Ben D Bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markcheese View Post
I suppose the first thing to find out is how much juice one of you current storage heaters takes in on a normal off peak cycle, then compare that to an equivalent battery or power wall ...
Are your storage heaters any good , or do you feel that the house is being heated when you don't want it to be ..?
Definitely wasting energy heating the place when I'm out. Also, if the weather warms up quickly, the storage heaters don't care and keep chucking out the same heat as if it was sub zero outside. Or if there is a sudden cold snap, I need to boost the storage heat with peak rate electric heating.

I could possibly set and manage the storage heaters better but the basic operation will still be very wasteful.
Advertisement
05-02-2020, 20:50   #6
Capt'n Midnight
00:00

Storage heaters should all be smart devices these days.

Linked to your calendar and the weather forecast.

Including things like how warm your house gets from cooking or water heating or sunlight. ie. there's a thermostat somewhere checking how warm the rooms normally are.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion