Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Weekend On One With Brendan O'Connor

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭GSF

Oops69 wrote: »
    David Mc williams -- "Make drugs legal "... they need to stop inviting this uninformed attention seeker on the show.

Yeah I think McWillams view of drugs is from sometime in the late 80's and maybe the scene has moved on a bit from them. He's beginning to sound a bit like Marian in his naive view of the life of young people

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

That's the trouble with this show and Marian's before that. Same old talking heads every weekend even when they've been wrong and way off the mark many times. Still they're invited back to spout their nonsense... No new voices allowed lest it upset their cosy little consensus

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

everyone goes 'gobsmackeddly' silent when Mc williams comes out with his little Gems of nonsense ... he's like the mad uncle in the corner .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,526 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

No interview with Mcgregor this morning? Was there any coverage of the fight at all?

could have been the first plumber from Crumlin ever to appear on the show.

Hasn’t been much coverage of McGregor’s fight anywhere. No pre-fight “build-up” and not much about the fight.

To be fair, the lad he was fighting wasn’t exactly a top draw at this stage. If he fights someone big, and wins, the next fight will get more attention. His “brand” is toxic right now, for obvious reasons.

The tide is turning…

"you mentioned Trump" sez Brendan No it was actually You who mentioned Trump Brendan give it a rest for heavens sake it's tiresome

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Hasn’t been much coverage of McGregor’s fight anywhere. No pre-fight “build-up” and not much about the fight.

To be fair, the lad he was fighting wasn’t exactly a top draw at this stage. If he fights someone big, and wins, the next fight will get more attention. His “brand” is toxic right now, for obvious reasons.

He's a scumbag and people are sick of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

I just turned the radio on. The morbid monotone voice is bad enough, but then climate change. Fuk off already.
    KCLR >>>>

• Registered Users Posts: 19,052 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

David Mc williams -- "Make drugs legal "... they need to stop inviting this uninformed attention seeker on the show.

Correct ...and when asked repeatedly to say where would the cut off point be he dodged and dodged.

Everything to him seems to be ‘very obvious’.

Other things I learned from the show.

1. Fanning is completely mad, Ballsy nearly had to tie him down .

Going to three different concerts by the same artist...pure mad.

2. There was only one guy with common sense on the show

The guy who said pensions would be unsustainable....left in their current configuration......actuarily unsustainable.

3. I have yet to see a suggestion that is ‘totally obvious’ by McWilliams see the light of day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,124 ✭✭✭plodder

everyone goes 'gobsmackeddly' silent when Mc williams comes out with his little Gems of nonsense ... he's like the mad uncle in the corner .
    Was that the "prohibition" comment? It was an awfully inappropriate and glib remark, in the circumstances; even for him, as king of the soundbites and compared with the other guests who had thought about the issue.

Posy wrote: »
    Think she mentioned the tenuto app for sightreading too? :/

There's lots of sightreading apps, so if you're looking for one you'll be spoiled for choice!
    That's the one I was thinking of, thanks a million!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭hankless

I listened yesterday and felt Brendan lacked a level of impartiality which the host of a panel show like that requires. He is not there to impose his opinion, he's there to moderate other's. I enjoyed his TV show. It was after the watershed and the whole concept was somewhat off the cuff, but analysing the Sunday Papers is not the same.

hankless wrote: »
    I listened yesterday and felt Brendan lacked a level of impartiality which the host of a panel show like that requires. He is not there to impose his opinion, he's there to moderate other's. I enjoyed his TV show. It was after the watershed and the whole concept was somewhat off the cuff, but analysing the Sunday Papers is not the same.

With all due respect he is there,yes, to moderate, it also to challenge and offer alternatives and different views on the subjects being discussed.

One can’t allow people to come into the national broadcaster and spout their agenda and views without challenge surely?

Could you perhaps give some examples of the lack of impartiality?

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭hankless

I understand what you mean and agree the host should challenge and offer alternatives but it can be done and still allow the listener to make up their own mind and form their own opinion. I am not going to go back and pick out the sections which I didn't enjoy, it was an overall view.

I understand what you mean and agree the host should challenge and offer alternatives but it can be done and still allow the listener to make up their own mind and form their own opinion. I am not going to go back and pick out the sections which I didn't enjoy, it was an overall view.

Fair enough.

Fair enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

So if the child is undernourished the parents can get arrested for neglect, but if the child is over-nourished then it is the fault of society.

Complete cop out by O'Shea. If they have a child that is getting treatment for obesity at 18 months, then it is the parents fault.

It is ridiculous to suggest that their can never be a crash because of software. It was software that brought down the 737 Max.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

My neighbour got a drone for Christmas, he's in his early 50's I think.

I only realised this after spending a good deal of St Stephen's day going around the house looking for the source of a buzzing sound. I thought it was an electrical sound.

I went up in the attic thinking there was a wasps nest or a beehive.

It was eveningtime before I found out what the buzzing sound was. I went out to the shed and high above me was a drone with blue and green lights flashing.

He played with his new toy all of St Stephen's day, I think the novelty has worn off, I haven't heard the buzzing since.

I can't see this drone delivery thing taking off ( pardon the pun) I'm old fashioned I feel.

Perhaps it's the way of the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭tmh106

Who was the woman talking about house cleaning on today's programme?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,124 ✭✭✭plodder

It is ridiculous to suggest that their can never be a crash because of software. It was software that brought down the 737 Max.
    Who was saying that, and what was the context?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭tmh106

tmh106 wrote: »

Bobby Healy, founder of Manna who are starting a drone food delivery service in Dublin next month. During his chat with Brendan he said that it was pretty much impossible for one of their drones to crash. In the incredibly unlikely event that this did happen the drones deploy a parachute automatically.

I'm a little skeptical as well, but having said that I think drone delivery will in the not too distant future become commonplace.

Laura De Barra - Gaff Goddess

I thought she was quite entertaining to be honest.

I'm a little skeptical as well, but having said that I think drone delivery will in the not too distant future become commonplace.

Yeah I don't want to be knocking the guy as it is a good idea, if not amazingly original. I am actually surprised that he has got the license to allow him to do it more than anything else.

He spoke very well and seems to have all the answers very well prepared for all the obvious questions that he would be asked. But to say that it was not possible to have a crash is ridiculous. No man made vehicle has ever achieved that accolade.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

it's clear from Brendan's attitude to Sinn Fein this morning that the luvvies in Montrose are having a ****e haemorrhage after the latest poll.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Listening to expert on the corona virus his opinion seems to stop all people from China from entering the country. Seems radical but he is the expert I suppose

it's clear from Brendan's attitude to Sinn Fein this morning that the luvvies in Montrose are having a ****e haemorrhage after the latest poll.

‘Bout time someone put the hard questions to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

I wonder if RTÉ Radio 1 intends to build-on the current replacement programme or if the entire format/presenter will be shelved altogether in the middle of March as suggested by the Head of RTÉ Radio 1. They are clearly not gonna risk Marian's huge audience drifting away over time and this suggests the current show was only ever intended as a temporary fixture in Radio 1's weekend schedule.

https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/radio/she-went-out-on-a-high-marians-final-radio-ratings-show-increase-38932312.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,675 ✭✭✭serfboard

They are clearly not gonna risk Marian's huge audience drifting away over time and this suggests the current show presenter was only ever intended as a temporary fixture in Radio 1's weekend schedule.
    FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

serfboard wrote: »
    FYP

:confused:

Below is a quote from the head of RTÉ Radio 1 taken from the same published article in question:

“It will be a couple of months before we confirm anything. We have been having conversations about it but we need to be respectful following Marian’s death. We won’t be replacing her. We will be launching a new programme in the middle of March,” he said.

https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/radio/she-went-out-on-a-high-marians-final-radio-ratings-show-increase-38932312.html

Apparently, Marian had intended to announce her retirement and was about to resume presentation in January before she passed away.

RTÉ had to replace such a popular show amongst it's large number of 300,000+ listeners with something in the interim and I think station management were always going to take a period of time to consider what was best for the weekend mornings 11am-1pm slot looking ahead to the medium to long term.

• Advertisement

John Banville isn't half up himself. The royal family are just an ordinary middle class family sez he

Advertisement