Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fleadh Mor, Tramore 1993

Options
  • 09-04-2010 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Hello ladies and gents, not sure if this is the correct place to post, but here goes....a bit of trivia for you...

Has anyone got a link/list of bands or groups that played in the Indie tent in the above festival back in 1993 ?

A long shot I know but the band Im looking for were called Bumble (I think), are Irish and had a single out in the Irish charts that year !

Cheers for any help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

There's a massive poster of the the gig line up in the tap room in Waterford. If you don't live near there I suppose I could take a pic for ya

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭ByrdsFan

Here's a link to the poster if thats of any use

http://www.k5.dion.ne.jp/~cafeceol/LOVELOG_IMG/fleadhmorposter.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,364 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Was in the arena on Sunday, it was an excellent weekend and one of the clearest and hottest weekends. Went down with a bunch of trad musicians and freaks in a horsebox from Galway for this, I tell a lie, I was actually in Cork living with some friends and we met up with the Galway bunch. Busked Friday and Saturday and got a ticket for the Sunday, caught Shane McGowan and the Popes, The Big Geraniums, Bob Dylan, Van Morrison, The Cheiftains and the brilliant Bolivian group, Awatinas who dont appear in the poster, that was the World Music tent. It was the next one to the Lisdoonvarna legendary status of world class acts and a great atmosphere. I have to laugh at the poster the image is like something out of a Freak Brothers comic. I forgot Jimmy Cliff played this too and I missed it, love the reggae.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 captain pedantic

High-Tower wrote: »
    Hello ladies and gents, not sure if this is the correct place to post, but here goes....a bit of trivia for you...

Has anyone got a link/list of bands or groups that played in the Indie tent in the above festival back in 1993 ?

A long shot I know but the band Im looking for were called Bumble (I think), are Irish and had a single out in the Irish charts that year !

Cheers for any help
    @high-tower
    Probably 9 years too late with this reply, but, yes, Bumble did play in the large tent at the Fleadh Mór that year. I think the Big Geraniums also played on that stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭davef1000

@high-tower
    Probably 9 years too late with this reply, but, yes, Bumble did play in the large tent at the Fleadh Mór that year. I think the Big Geraniums also played on that stage.

How on earth do you even FIND a thread this old?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Even though it is a zombie thread, here's the poster for the festival:

474302.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

WoW , wouldn't I love for this gig to be around now ! What a line up !!….
    I kinda regret sleeping on the pitch & putt course for the weekend drinking, and not being in at it.....

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

My first ever festival and it was a doozie..

Magic weekend..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,997 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Ray Charles!!
    In Tramore!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Not sure if I recall this correctly as my memory is somewhat hazy but Jerry Lee Lewis headlined on the Sunday after Van and Bob played their sets. I remember feeling sorry for him as the stadium emptied.

Joan Baez was amazing, I remember her being handed flowers on stage by some crusty lad who was drinking homemade hooch all weekend. She was genuinely warm, beautiful and talented.

The only rain that day was when HHF played songs from the rain. Liam even commented on the special effects. As soon as they stopped so did the rain and they finished up a phenomenal set.

Van and Bob were the highlights for me and both were as good as I’ve ever seen them since.

Ballad of a thin man was particularly memorable for some reason. I also remember van coming out on stage with a woman under each arm and a bottle of champagne in his hand while Bob was playing, Bob turned and shot him a look that would cut you in 2, turned back to face the crowd and kept playing. Van got the hint and stumbled back off, the crowd we’re loving it.

And all at Tramore race course :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,364 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

They never tried a second year, the vintners that year deemed it a failure, when in reality it was the fecking heatwave that kept people from the bars. I suppose All Together Now is the new Fleadh Mor now minus the coast.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,763 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Advertisement