Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advise on career path

• 08-01-2020 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all,

Hoping for some advice/ideas. Currently working as a medical admin. 28 years old and on 26,000 a year. Considering doing a evening course in Cork college of com on book keeping but not sure if it's a good path to go down on job wise and if I should just stay in admin . My current employer have absolutely no incentive to stay. No benefits even so much as sick pay. Can I even earn more in the admin sector?

Total 360 then and thought about changing completely and study to be an SNA but again I don't know much if its a good choice such as what's the pay like? Is it a secure job etc?

Any advice would be much appreciated. Feeling a bit lost job wise and starting to feel like abit of a failure job wise. Just trying to find out what my options are realistically and work towards it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 alexsandro22

Hi all,

Hoping for some advice/ideas. Currently working as a medical admin. 28 years old and on 26,000 a year. Considering doing a evening course in Cork college of com on book keeping but not sure if it's a good path to go down on job wise and if I should just stay in admin . My current employer have absolutely no incentive to stay. No benefits even so much as sick pay. Can I even earn more in the admin sector?

Total 360 then and thought about changing completely and study to be an SNA but again I don't know much if its a good choice such as what's the pay like? Is it a secure job etc?

Any advice would be much appreciated. Feeling a bit lost job wise and starting to feel like abit of a failure job wise. Just trying to find out what my options are realistically and work towards it

Seems to be a good idea to an evening course on book keeping. But if you can course something else like finance education or data structure it would be a great advantage too

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

SNAs earn €24,000 up to €39,000 at the moment. In a lot of schools you might not get full hours, so it'll be a percentage of that. I'd go into it if it's really what you want to do. Education isn't really the sector to get into if money is the driving factor. Could you do some kind of financial course and get into a bank or something? Or a credit union ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Hi all,

A few things first a 360 will take you back to where you currently are.
    The effort and time required to a book keeping course would be better spent on an accountancy degree. It doesn't matter when you go to college only when you leave. If you come out in a depression, you are always likely to be behind in life. If you leave on a rising curve or peak then you will more likely hold your position to advance.

This would be the year to go to college as we will be in recession in a few weeks. Everyone and his mother will be applying to go to college over the next two years. Why do you feel you are a failure jobs wise? Because everyone social media is all happy happy? It aint all that good. 60% of the time everything is Meh!, 10% is crap and 30% is fun. Try not to worry about everyone else and focus on yourself.

Go buy "what colour is your parachute?" d try to work out what you would like to do profitably. IT and programing is a secure job but it is only for a select few (check out failure rates at college). Health care and pharmaceutical is also very stable and in demand. Government/Civil Service/Public service is also stable and almost impossible to get fired from but it can also be a stagnant place if you dont fit in.

I think you should invest alot of time and possibly meet a VTOS careers officer on what way to advance. Best of luck. If you think I have been harsh, we will be in recession for various reason in a few weeks. Move at speed and at high moment

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wanderer19

Hi all,

Some of the colleges are doing IATI apprenticeships. This is a great opportunity for paid learning, both on and off the job. Following that you could do an Accountantcy qualification, which you'll get exemptions from. There's great opportunities and decent money once you're qualified.

Advertisement