Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

1298299300301302304»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,804 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    I'm quite introverted and can work from home so this will be no bother to me. My housemate is very extroverted and needs to be out and about or having a chat.

I can forsee that being quite testing Tbh.

My father would be like your housemate, he goes out in the morning to check the post and he’s not seen for half an hour until you’d look out and he’s hanging over the garden wall yapping to a neighbor... he’s been warned though, I’ve told him the mother can get the post from now on. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I'm down with my little lad since yesterday and staying for the next 2 weeks anyway. Luckily me and his mam still get on to be able to do this.

Consider me jealous in a way. I'm left with the possibility that I won't get to see my little girl for weeks now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,922 ✭✭✭threeball

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I'm down with my little lad since yesterday and staying for the next 2 weeks anyway. Luckily me and his mam still get on to be able to do this.

But, as stupid as this may sound, I'm worried about my own place. What happens if travel restrictions and increased job losses come into play? I don't have much, but I really don't want to arrive home at some stage to find the place cleaned out.

I'm tempted to make another run home and get whatever else I can, but she's very much against it.

They sound like they are both low risk in any case. I would get my stuff if worried about a break-in. You're probably walking a shaky line though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

My wife along with 600+ workmates all have to work in a factory tomorrow. I can't understand why it's still open when pubs etc are closing and people are talking about social distancing.

What do they produce in the factory?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

Do we have any information on how a person who's obese or morbidly obese would handle this? It's not listed as a factor but I wouldn't think you'd be in the best position to fight it in such a state.

I guess if you were morbidly obese you probably would have a few underlying health issues. Cardiac, diabetes etc

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

UK strategy is insane.
    Maybe a hard border is not a bad idea after all?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,977 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

It sounds like an absolute worst case scenario though. Most of the virus experts have said this week that new viruses are totally unpredictable and it's impossible to forecast what they will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

Do we have any information on how a person who's obese or morbidly obese would handle this? It's not listed as a factor but I wouldn't think you'd be in the best position to fight it in such a state.

There was some Dr on the Joe Rogan podcast and he said it would be worse in the US because of obesity.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

Avoid panic buying times.

Has any pattern emerged suggesting what these times are?

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭brookers

Hi would anybody know if you dont have the required amount of class A stamps would you still be entitled to jobseeker benefit. I only started working last year after a good few years of not working. I dont have 39 As in 2018 or 2019.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭darjeeling

So if a vaccine can’t be developed we are looking at finding an anti-viral drug/drugs to mitigate symptoms, ie a ‘least worst’ solution. Remdesivir seems to be getting a fair few mentions.

Even if it turns out to work, we'd need to get enough stocks of it at a time when every other country would be trying to do the same.

If it were recommended for use outside of hospitals (as were tamiflu & relenza in the UK during the 2009 H1N1 pandemic) we'd also have to figure how to get it to large numbers of people within a certain time window.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,001 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Of the only two people under 40 that died in italy one was obese, so yes it would seem to be a big factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

storker wrote: »
    Has any pattern emerged suggesting what these times are?

11:01 tuesday

• Registered Users Posts: 23,442 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Blueshoe wrote: »
    169 is 0.00338% of 5,000,000.

Blue Horseshoe loves Anacott Steel

• Registered Users Posts: 4,393 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

There's a big economic difference between the tertiary and the primary industrial sectors when it comes to keeping the fires lit. What's your line of work?

I'm in aviation, I'm in serious trouble.

She is a manufacturing supervisor, if they were to close for 2-3 weeks it wouldn't affect the company or business at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Pseudonym121

Not understanding you here?? Are you saying the incubation period (time for exposure to onset of visible symptoms) is 7 days or 14 days for most?

Johns Hopkins was saying the median incubation period was 5.1 days with 97% showing symptoms by day 11.

Yeah this is where statistics and the fact that this is new confuses things.

[F] It appears that the MEDIAN incubation period is 5 to 7 days. You can basically take that MEDIAN and rock through a couple of standards deviations to show that the 97% confidence interval for incubation is somewhere between 10 to 14 days.

[F] I am going with 14 days for my calculations because I want to add in a margin of error which errs on the side of caution.

[F] So, sure it might well be 11 days and not 14 but:
    [F] a) 1.5% of people are going to incubate for longer than 11 days in that case - so a margin of safety is a good idea there and
    [F] b) maybe it is 11 days. No-one knows for sure now so a margin of safety seems like a smart idea to me.

TLDR: No-one knows, half of all people seem to develop symptoms by Day 6 but this is NOT a time to go with minimum numbers. This is, in my opinion, a time to build in a nice margin of safety.

P.s. Also please remember the Median and the Average are quite different. The Median may be 5 but the Average is almost certainly longer. A lot of people don't understand the difference and this adds to confusion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Blue Horseshoe loves Anacott Steel

No love for Teldar Paper?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,393 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

What do they produce in the factory?

Smoke / carbon monoxide alarms.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,285 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Blueshoe wrote: »
    I can't understand why people are talking about the army getting involved?.

Sure what are they going to do! Farcical. The general public again being shown up as idiots
    It's been mentioned in the press they are lined up to help out from tomorrow morning. Don't think they'll need their guns to man telephone lines and provide other logistical help. Many member of the defence forces have skills that will be very useful in these circumstances, and their skills are much better being put into use than hanging round barracks and/or self-isolating

• Registered Users Posts: 16,001 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

I posted this last night but i think it was lost but is it not odd that only 20% on the princess cruise tested postive even though more than likely more than 80% to 90% should have been. It was rampant on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

Bob24 wrote: »
    Maybe people wondering why the hell the Fed is making yet another emergency decision even though their next regular meeting is scheduled very soon (Tuesday I believe).

I certainly do wonder - there must be something very wrong in the US financial plumbing (repos have also rampes up like crazy).
    The repo market has been skating on thin ice for months

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I'm in aviation, I'm in serious trouble.

She is a manufacturing supervisor, if they were to close for 2-3 weeks it wouldn't affect the company or business at all.

I feel really lucky to have started a new job in January. My partner is a chef and out of work from tomorrow. If both of us were out of work, we would not be able to pay the rent.

I'm working from home now. IT industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,243 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

• Registered Users Posts: 55,451 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Mod: This thread was going to pass 10k overnight, so I've started Thread VIII early. No point in making the hamsters sick too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement