Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible dissertation titles for a QS student?

• 08-10-2009 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi all,

Has anyone out there got any good ideas on a good title/idea for a dissertation?

I'm a Quantity Surveying student.
    'Zero Carbon Emissions in Buildings' has been suggested to me by a lecturer which is something I would have an interest in, but I need to find a QS related slant.

Do ya think there is enough information out there about the 'cost' of building zero carbon buildings?
    I have been researching the topic now for some time, and although there is a lot of information regarding 'zero carbon', I have found little about the materials and cost required to achieve this standard.

Your suggestions/comments will be greatly appreciated;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,921 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I wouldn't use zero carbon for a few reasons.

1. It's a buzzword, while important, you dissertation won't stand out and a few in the class are likely to do similar.
    2. Zero carbon is more about design than material cost, there is little scope beyond noting increased cost of extra insulation and more effiect materials.*

*You could of course take the angle of the cost of building a zero carbon building verses the saved running costs. But this is a bad angle imo as its not exactly the ethos of zero carbon (dispite the marketing of some materials)

My suggestion:
    "The effects of the recession on building costs"

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭kkelliher

seldom

As a QS myself and having been through the process let me offer you the best of luck.

It would be very interesting to take a look at the carbon arguement from a pure quantity surveying position as I have had the arguement on a number of occasions with people as to the true effect all the "eco" products and systems have had on the bottom line of projects. It appears that whilst people (this forum is a prime example) strive to get their projects completed at the lowest cost, the true position is that it is effected greatly by the latest push (Legal and otherwise) towards greener meathods which have the knock on effect of increased cost over the stadard house construction methods. A case study (real or otherwise) of two properties built to similar size,and utilising the traditional and new eco carbon methods would in my opinion provide an interesting QS result.

No matter what you choose best of luck with it

Keith

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭Zilog

It would be interesting to compare the real or true TCO / payback periods of so-called 'green' technologies versus 'regular' ones.
    I've always wondered how many electric showers a full solar install will buy, taking into account the predicted lifespan of the solar system, maintenance, etc. !

• Registered Users Posts: 8 seldomseenkid

Hey,

Thanks for the input everyone.
    I have taken into account what ye all said and I have decided to do my dissertation on 'The cost of building a zero carbon emission building'.

As a graduate to be in 12months time (hopefully:D) I hope this dissertation will be something that will differentiate me from all the other hopefuls. The majority of my classmates have decided upon Law and Contract related titles, which would have been my first choice originally but now I feel i need to do something a bit different to stand out.

Watch this space;)

Thanks for the help,
    the kid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 taxman

Hey,

I have taken into account what ye all said and I have decided to do my dissertation on 'The cost of building a zero carbon emission building'.

It may be of help to contact Patrick Daly about his house, recently completed and featured in Construct Ireland mag and Duncan's About the House.
    IMO, I would diffrentiate between building and dwelling in your title. If its "building", then it stays more general, if its "dwelling", then you can get more type particular and more specific.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 PintGuzzler

Hi,
    I was looking at your posts there and I was wondering how you were progressing with the dissertation topic you chose.

Im a 4th year QS student and was hoping to do my dissertation on something similar.

Just want to now is there much information on the particular topic and would you know of any helpful references?

Your help would be much appreciated.

If anyone else can offer some assistance, it would also be much appreciated.

Regards,
    PintGuzzler

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭LoTwan

Zilog wrote: »
    I've always wondered how many electric showers a full solar install will buy, taking into account the predicted lifespan of the solar system, maintenance, etc. !

Now that I would like to know! We are not installing solar panels (I can't stand the things, I actually don't like any disturbances to the roof line but that is a post for another day) and will have one instant shower in the house... it would be interesting to see how it would break down.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,740 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Hey,

As a graduate to be in 12months time (hopefully:D)

Perfect: just don't forget to add one word........;) 'extra, as in....

'The extra cost of building a zero carbon emission building'.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement