Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Windows Phone 7 Launch Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

So, my lg optimus 7 has been mysteriously rebooting itself, and once it reboots it will just hang on the LG screen indefinitely. The only way that seemed to get it back, was to power it off, and leave it off over night/for a number of hours. After some investigation, I've finally realised that it's actually overheating, and dying as a result :(.

I've had it for a year and a half ish, and it owes me nothing at this stage, but damn it, it's a nice piece of kit, and for the first time in the last 10 years I feel I don't want to upgrade as it does everything I need it to do...but it's becoming a pain to live with at this stage, so the end is near. :(

I'm riding my Optimus 7 for all its worth, mainly because I'm on the fence about WP8. It's had some hard knocks and still is hanging in there, we'll see how long it lasts I guess.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Bambi wrote: »
    I'm riding my Optimus 7 for all its worth, mainly because I'm on the fence about WP8. It's had some hard knocks and still is hanging in there, we'll see how long it lasts I guess.

Mine is a beast, I drop the yoke all the time. That may or may not have been the reason for it's current issue. But at least now I know what causes it to have a fit. If I could get another few months out of this one I'd be flying. Don't want to jump ship just as WP8 is out, want things to settle a bit (and for prices to drop:D) before making a decision on whether to stick with Windows or go to Android.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

My optimus 7 owes me nothing either, and is more stable now than when I got it, I might give wp8 a look in 6 months time when the os has been ironed out and prices drop.
    I can't see any worthwhile reason to drop a ball of money on WP 8 right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

I'm on the lookout for a Christmas present for my father (late 60's) and I know he would like a touchscreen phone but just trying to find a good quality and easy to use phone.

I'm just after noticing that the Nokia Lumia 800 is going for fairly cheap these days but I have no expierience with the Windows Phone OS having had iPhone or Android phones overs the years.

Whats the Windows Phone OS like as a user expierince compared to say iOS which I think is very user friendly (unlike imo an android)?
    I have an LG Optimus 7 and it was my first smartphone. I found it very easy to get used to and much more so than trying to figure out the ins and outs of Android 4.0 on my son's tablet.

I bought the wife a Nokia 710 a while back as her first smartphone and she picked it up very quickly as well.

The only negative I have with WP7 is the tiny font size used for contacts phone numbers. In general use it's not a problem but if I need to read the number to use it say on a land line I find it nearly impossible. My eyesight isn't that bad I only have very mild reading glasses so if your father is short sighted it might be an issue to look out for but in the general scheme of things it's a small one for what is otherwise a very easy to use OS.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭luketitz

I like the look of the Lumia 920, which appears to trump competitors in some (if not many) aspects.. wonder how much it'll retail here for?

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/tech/hardware/nokia-takes-a-dig-at-competition-at-lumia-920-launch/articleshow/17982961.cms

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

luketitz wrote: »
    I like the look of the Lumia 920, which appears to trump competitors in some (if not many) aspects.. wonder how much it'll retail here for?

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/tech/hardware/nokia-takes-a-dig-at-competition-at-lumia-920-launch/articleshow/17982961.cms

I believe its ~620. At that price I can't see much adopting it over say a Note 2 or S3.

Edit: Expansys has it listed for 720!

I believe its ~620. At that price I can't see much adopting it over say a Note 2 or S3.

Thanks, jeez you're right, they really are pricing themselves out of a recovery. Shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

It's waaaaay to expensive, no matter what the specs are. The 820 is as well. All the WP8 phones seem to be that way though, except for a couple of HTCs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭TBi

Depends what people want. I wouldn't touch a S3 or Note. I don't like android much and the skinning that Samsung does just makes it worse.

If more people tried out Windows Phone they'd buy one. Unfortunately the mob has gone with flashy android phones so it'll be a hard sell.

• Advertisement

I'm currently in the process of updating my LGe900 to WP7.8.....
    It was offered through Zune, no trickery involved!
    However, like some previous update experiences, it seems slow, at the moment it is stuck on 67% of step 7 of 10.
    Will let you know.

And the update just failed....
    error code 8018009b :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭wilser

Got my LG e900 updated over the weekend, used the wlan disconnect trick. There were 3 updates, step 7 on one of them took ages alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Mine updated to 7.8 over the weekend, didn't have to do anything. Having noticed any differences though other than the start screen.

Going throught the update process now again, and has completed!
    7.8 :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

wilser wrote: »
    Got my LG e900 updated over the weekend, used the wlan disconnect trick. There were 3 updates, step 7 on one of them took ages alright.

what trick is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭K3v

dnme wrote: »
    what trick is that?

• Start Zune
    • Turn off Data connection and Wifi on the Phone
    • Connect the Phone with the PC (USB)
    • Start the update search in Zune
    • About 3 seconds later, disconnect your PC from the internet (Turn WLAN off).
    • Zune finds Update. Press OK.
    • Connect to the internet again and install the update.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭K3v

My updated has cause my touchscreen not to work. Any suggestions? Its an LG E900.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

K3v wrote: »
    • Start Zune
    • Turn off Data connection and Wifi on the Phone
    • Connect the Phone with the PC (USB)
    • Start the update search in Zune
    • About 3 seconds later, disconnect your PC from the internet (Turn WLAN off).
    • Zune finds Update. Press OK.
    • Connect to the internet again and install the update.

Bit confused.

I turn off connections on phone, then start a search in Zune and immediately turn off connections on laptop also. So if everything is now disconnected from internet, 1. How does Zune find any updates? and 2. How does it download them?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,116 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I think it does two checks: is there an update? and, is the update for this phone? What you're doing is cutting off your Internet connection before the second check can be answered.

With just the answer to the first check, it'll tell you there's an update. You can then reconnect, click update, and download.

• Advertisement

Didn't realise there was an update available for my LG Optimus 7 until I connected it to the PC yesterday to sync some photos.

Update was straightforward but now all my internet radio apps are broken, anyone else having the same problem?

I got one station to play in tunein but none of my favourites will play.

I normally rely on the phone for internet radio every day so this is driving me crazy.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭robbie67

Was your phone jailbroken when you update it will relock your phone

robbie67 wrote: »
    Was your phone jailbroken when you update it will relock your phone

Not sure if that was directed to me?

My phone was completely stock.

Is now on:
    OS Version 7.10.8858.136
    Firmware revision 1.0.16.10

All the apps are up to date.

When I start the apps they will connect fine and the pause button will display as if they were playing but the counter will remain at 00:00

For example the RTE radio app was working fine yesterday but now after the update all 4 stations available in the app are as I describe above.

I have another app for a station called Mix Megapol and it won't play the live stream but it will play the podcasts.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Did you try to reinstall them?

Did you try to reinstall them?

Yep reinstalled the RTE app but still the same problem.

[Edit] Just reinstalled the Mix Megapol app and that made no difference either.

[Edit 2] Did a reboot but no joy with that either.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Do-more wrote: »
    Yep reinstalled the RTE app but still the same problem.

[Edit] Just reinstalled the Mix Megapol app and that made no difference either.

[Edit 2] Did a reboot but no joy with that either.

Aha, I think you have a similar issue to me. I'm on O2 billpay, and using the default settings I cannot get TuneIn Radio, Mixtapes, and most other streaming audio apps to actually stream. Everything else internet-wise works (Youtube etc), except the actual streaming. I think it's protocol specific.

To work around this, I've changed the APN on my phone from the default (which I think is "internet") to "open.internet". This is the API used by the O2 Internet USB modems and the like. Everything works! EXCEPT, internet sharing only works when I'm using the original "internet" APN.. So i'm constantly having to switch APNs on my handsets. I had this issue on my old HD7 and also now on my Lumia 920. Not sure why, and although I've raised it with O2 a few times they seem clueless. Obviously it's not affecting everyone as otherwise I'd have heard about it, or it'd be fixed!

Aha, I think you have a similar issue to me. I'm on O2 billpay, and using the default settings I cannot get TuneIn Radio, Mixtapes, and most other streaming audio apps to actually stream. Everything else internet-wise works (Youtube etc), except the actual streaming. I think it's protocol specific.

To work around this, I've changed the APN on my phone from the default (which I think is "internet") to "open.internet". This is the API used by the O2 Internet USB modems and the like. Everything works! EXCEPT, internet sharing only works when I'm using the original "internet" APN.. So i'm constantly having to switch APNs on my handsets. I had this issue on my old HD7 and also now on my Lumia 920. Not sure why, and although I've raised it with O2 a few times they seem clueless. Obviously it's not affecting everyone as otherwise I'd have heard about it, or it'd be fixed!

Thanks but I don't think that is the problem, I just picked a random station on TuneIn "Smooth Radio London" and it plays fine although it may use a different protocol to the others that aren't working as it showed that it was filling a buffer before it started to play whereas the others don't normally do that.

The problem has only started since I did the WP7.8 update yesterday and the problems occurs with my wifi connection at home as well as on my data connection (which is 3pay in Sweden).

Just been playing around with it a bit more and it seems that where I have a option to choose a stream in TuneIn then I can play MP3 streams OK but no WMA streams will play for me.

invest4deepvalue.com

Am I the only one having problems with internet streams since upgrading to WP7.8? :o

It's ruined the usability of my phone, can only play MP3 streams which are a lot more unreliable than the WMA streams that used to play no problem in 7.5, lots of pauses to buffer or sometimes they just stop altogether, never had those problems before, I can see the mast out the window so my internet connection is rock solid.

The this morning the stream has just crashed to an ear splitting beep when the tune in app has frozen completely, it's happened 3 times so far, one time locking up the phone completely so that I had to do a re-boot to get anything to work, first time I can remember that happening.

Really regret this upgrade.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Earthworm jim and assasins creed free on marketplace atm

• Advertisement

Tinie wrote: »
    Earthworm jim and assasins creed free on marketplace atm

Thanks for this, I got EJ, but couldn't find AC listed as free, still listed as 4.99 on my phone. Am I missing something or has it changed?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement