Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Seen something I wasn't sure of

• 02-06-2020 4:08pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭

I was in West Care last night finishing up planting out an orchard.

And I wasn't far from Doonbeg Co Clare.
    Usually I see plane's overhead going North West, but these three plane's were flying Westwards maybe slightly south west.

My usual observation is plane's going over the Atlantic Ocean go up towards the north west of the globe and go down along the east coast of America when flying Westwards to the state's.

But these were way too high and their trajectory definitely didn't look like they're heading to North America.

Have any of you access to apps for following flights ?

I'm not usually a plane watcher but they looked like they were following each other...

It didn't look right.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

nthclare wrote: »
    I was in West Care last night finishing up planting out an orchard.

And I wasn't far from Doonbeg Co Clare.
    Usually I see plane's overhead going North West, but these three plane's were flying Westwards maybe slightly south west.

My usual observation is plane's going over the Atlantic Ocean go up towards the north west of the globe and go down along the east coast of America when flying Westwards to the state's.

But these were way too high and their trajectory definitely didn't look like they're heading to North America.

Have any of you access to apps for following flights ?

I'm not usually a plane watcher but they looked like they were following each other...

It didn't look right.

The North Atlantic Track System is like a set of lanes that air traffic uses to cross the ocean. The latitude of the tracks changes every day to avoid or take advantage of winds and weather. Have a look at this link, today's Westbound track (normally there are multiple tracks, a sure indication of how little traffic exists at the moment is that there is but one track) is actually south of Ireland.

If you remember what time you observed the aircraft you may be able to find out what they were by using the playback feature on a website like fr24.com

Also, they may appear at a higher altitude than they usually do because they probably are. Loads are very low at the moment. Planes are often unable to climb to their optimum altitude before entering the ocean because they are too heavy. In the current climate they are probably light enough to get to those higher altitudes before they reach the West coast of Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Around 21.30, FedEx and European Air Transport were close but at different altitudes, with UPS following behind. Routes don't look unusual.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Thanks for clearing that up as I'm new to plane watching etc

Its probably rare to see plane's at the moment and my mind went into overdrive :)

As where I live in North Clare they fly in South eastwards

Advertisement