Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Scotty Kilmer has the biggest YouTube car DIY channel

• 29-05-2020 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,400 ✭✭✭

Well, that's his claim. This guy has over a billion views thanks to his click bait videos.

Came across him years ago and couldn't stand him. Was searching for some G Wagen videos a few months ago and came across his review of one. Made the mistake of watching it (10 minutes I'll never get back) and Youtube has been pushing his videos to me ever since.

With that in mind (to avoid his dross), what are the best Youtube car DIY channels that you watch?

I'm a fan of Mighty Car Mods, ChrisFix, Mustie1 and have recently been following the Irish channel Endfloat do a very detailed engine swap on a VW camper.

Cui bono?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭RINO87

Cannot stand that man, and the same as yourself YouTube keep pushing his vids everytime I open it. Dunno why, I haven't clicked on one of his vids in over a year.

There's a chap has a channel called furious driving. Mostly him just taking slightly left field cars for a spin. Nothing too exotic but interesting yokes usually.

He also does a few bits of him fiddling about in has yard with old motors. I like it because he seems as cack handed as myself, but gets the jobs done! He's no Ed China, makes nothing look easy, and leaves all the frustrating bits in the videos which is reassuring for all of us who have had a simple job turn into a mess!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,109 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Who? Is this the guy Matt Damon was singing about in Eurotrip?

Edit: Just google him and watched one of his videos. Jesus he really is the Victor Meldrew of car review youtubers.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭DrSpongeBobz

Scotty promotes his love of Toyota and never buying a brand new car.I find him interesting, he has a new channel too,Kilmers Garage which has higher production quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,381 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

He looks like Barbara Streisand

Also. He’s a knob.

My recommendations

Mustie1
    HubNut
    Bad Obsession Motorsport
    RegularCars
    Arthur Tussik
    Garage54
    Big Car
    Smith and Sniff
    Carpervert

On the fence about:
    Mighty Car Mods (Gone a bit stale and corporate shilly)
    WatchJRGo (A bit staged and formulaic)
    Doug DeMuro
    Hoovies Garage

Can’t stand:
    Tavarish
    Scotty Kilmer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

I've been watching a guy called Dannydc2 for a while now. He does some track days and had a quick little MRS with a K swap. He's a good driver too. Low budget stuff, I can relate to that!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭ShedTower

I'd recommend anyone give Car Throttle a go. It's lighthearted, think low budget original Top Gear. It is entertaining.

Scotty is tough to listen to. I don't know how anyone could sit through that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

surely Harrys Garage is the only place to go

I like Hoovies even though he is hard to listen to - Doug DeMuro - oh lord. ( but I still watch it from time to time )

ShedTower wrote: »
    I'd recommend anyone give Car Throttle a go. It's lighthearted, think low budget original Top Gear. It is entertaining.

Scotty is tough to listen to. I don't know how anyone could sit through that.
    Yer man on Car Throttle has a terrible put-on accent too though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭ongarite

colm_mcm wrote: »
    He looks like Barbara Streisand

My recommendations

Mustie1
    HubNut
    Bad Obsession Motorsport
    RegularCars
    Arthur Tussik
    Garage54
    Big Car
    Smith and Sniff
    Carpervert

On the fence about:
    Mighty Car Mods (Gone a bit stale and corporate shilly)
    WatchJRGo (A bit staged and formulaic)
    Doug DeMuro
    Hoovies Garage

Can’t stand:
    Tavarish
    Scotty Kilmer

Good list.
    Love Mustie1, genuine old school trifty fix anything guy.

Fan of Coldwarmotors, Ronald Finger and Weird Beard, Benny Custom Works, Skid Factory
    Like Ratarossa and Rich Rebuilds too.
    Basically channels with real content, working on everyday vehicles.

Still like Hoovies Garage, the fame hasnt gone to his head too much.

Tavarish, I have gone right off his channel.
    Used to be great a few years ago and then he bought that white Lambo and its all downhill from there.
    He does no work on camera anymore and gets his "friend" Jared to do all the work for him.
    Same for SamCrac, used to be interesting rebuild/repair of cars. Now its all very dodgy supercar/luxury car rebuilds with his friends doing all the work.

I saw that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Chris fix is quite good...

https://www.youtube.com/user/PaintballOO7

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

Outside of the ones already mentioned I really like Juiceboxforyou myself , i love the irishness of it theres a real genuineness to it. Their last special was brilliant. It was great to see Need for Speed add a decal of theirs into their game too. Wont be to everyones taste but well worth a try specially if you like Japanese cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Lyan

I like him. It was watching his videos that changed me from being a know-nothing about cars to being able to somewhat engage in a conversation about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭landcrzr

Surprised that no one has mentioned Eric the car guy, likes his Honda's.
    Also Alan Howatt is really good for mondeos up to the current model.
    Have to agree though Scotty Kilmer can be hard to listen to.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,110 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

From his setup you would think he hadn't a bob to his name, seems he is a millionaire from it...
    https://ie.youtubers.me/scotty-kilmer/youtube-estimated-earnings

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Agent_47

carzony wrote: »

Keeps himself anonymous, wish Bob Flavin would do us all a favour and become permanently anonymous, ie stop posting videos, he is full of crap

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Whocare

GoonzSquad is interesting enough

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Dr. Steve Brule

Agent_47 wrote: »
    Keeps himself anonymous, wish Bob Flavin would do us all a favour and become permanently anonymous, ie stop posting videos, he is full of crap

In fairness, that's quite a harsh opinion on Bob. He's one of a handful doing it in Ireland & he actually engages with his subscribers.

Each to their own I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Savage Geese has to have the most informed, comprehensive, highest quality car content on YouTube, even if he is a little overly opinionated the odd time.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Salvage Rebuilds UK is pretty good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,400 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

ShedTower wrote: »

I do like those guys too. The restoration of the high mileage Octavia was a good series.

I do find it hilarious that one of the presenters getting stuck in front of a Royal Mail truck and being rescued by Ellie Goulding got them so much publicity

Cui bono?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Dr. Steve Brule

Salvage Rebuilds UK is pretty good.

I really enjoy that channel as well. Rob seems to be a sound bloke.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

South Main Auto Repair LLC
    EricTheCarGuy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,352 ✭✭✭ofcork

For reviews I enjoy high peak autos and jayemm on cars did some interesting stuff re McLaren.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Never heard of Scotty Kilmer but had a look there and by feck is he hard to listen to. 10 seconds was enough

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Could you imagine living next door to scotty.... it would be unbearable.......

"Oohhhh there the old goat goes again filming a video sounding like a cats being murdered"

" Sweet jesus Barbara ring the estate agent and put the house up for sale"

Gets sale for house then does a huge wheel spin shouting at him as you pass " rev my engine you prick now f%"k off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭ShedTower

biko wrote: »
    South Main Auto Repair LLC

I was coming back to say that. Nice dude.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

The Car Wizard is quite good. Hoovie isn't though. Repetitive "I bought the cheapest.....how stupid am I" rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭big dar

Unwrecked is pretty good American lad doing up Copart cars also Junkyard Digs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭Goose81

Samcrac is the best imo, v tuned garage is good aswell. They just buy destroyed exotica mostly and fix them up

Advertisement