Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

31-05-2020, 22:35   #661
Wetasanotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldfire1x View Post
If you haven't seen both the laptop side by side, how do you know its untrue? Not making anything up, telling this from experience since I have both laptops. I don't need to prove anything but will try to put up pics later.
Because screens are produced on a binned production line.

Both devices are specced for 300nits, no combination of tolerances (e.g. 200nits vs 400nits) are ever going to exist in the real world, that's simply not how modern production lines work.

You're just waffling m8

Again
Advertisement
31-05-2020, 23:36   #662
coldfire1x

No comments

Both (latitude & lenovo) @ 40% brightness

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/atta...1&d=1590964435

Latitude @ 40% and Lenovo @ 80% brightness

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/atta...1&d=1590964435
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200531_225132.jpg (2.25 MB, 193 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200531_225201.jpg (2.25 MB, 182 views)
(5) thanks from:
01-06-2020, 16:33   #663
ShineOn7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francobegbie View Post

The deal in the OP seems to have expired. Could a Mod edit in the latest deal now being discussed?

Or is this more a general laptop deals thread?
03-06-2020, 18:02   #664
MJ434

How are people finding their laptops? Mine has just arrived in Cologne, after a extended in holiday in Korea - hopefully it arrives soon )))
Thanks from:
03-06-2020, 18:16   #665
Nigel Fairservice

Mine just got to Cologne too. The wait is nearly over!
Thanks from:
Advertisement
03-06-2020, 18:37   #666
dodzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ434 View Post
How are people finding their laptops? Mine has just arrived in Cologne, after a extended in holiday in Korea - hopefully it arrives soon )))
You will not be disappointed. Well worth the money. Plenty of advice here if you're stuck. My set up (No OS) was very smooth.
Thanks from:
03-06-2020, 19:43   #667
podge3

Unfortunately mind has gone missing in DPD Parcel Wizard. Delivered last Thursday but they have no record of it😠😠
03-06-2020, 19:47   #668
MJ434

Quote:
Originally Posted by podge3 View Post
Unfortunately mind has gone missing in DPD Parcel Wizard. Delivered last Thursday but they have no record of it😠😠
AHH no! My parcel wizard deliveies have been very delayed so give it a few more days... What is their lost parcel procedure?

Mine is coming into Parcel Motel so I'm worried about that happening too..
03-06-2020, 20:17   #669
dos29

Quote:
Originally Posted by podge3 View Post
I hate to worry ya but I've had a terrible experience with them over a package they signed for but disappeared without a trace. UPS I'm sure as well actually! A pair of runners I got at a bargain price. Took about 2 and a half months for their insurance to pay out. Sorry!
Advertisement
03-06-2020, 20:46   #670
snoopsheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante7 View Post
Couple of things I've noticed since getting the laptop. I have the 4500u with 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD, USB-C charger.

You can change the amount of dedicated RAM allocated to the GPU to improve graphics performance. The setting is under UMA Frame Buffering in the BIOS. My laptop has 8GB RAM and it was set to 512MB. I upped it to 1GB. If I had 16GB I'd definitely up this to 2GB unless I was only every going to use the laptop for compiling. I've played Battlefield V, Forza 4 and Rise of the Tomb Raider on it and they all played beautifully.

Another thing I noticed is that in the manual it says that you can switch between the three CPU thermal modes (Intelligent Cooling, Extreme Performance and Battery Saving) by pressing Fn+Q. This does not work and I thought you could only change this setting through the BIOS. However if you download the Lenovo Vantage program, it has an option for switching modes without having to restart. There is also an interesting option in the VAntage program for the battery. You can enable rapid charge or an option that keeps the battery charged at 50-60% to prolong its life. This would be beneficial if you mainly used the laptop while connected to the mains.

The Intel Wifi 6 AX200 card is excellent. I was getting a near 1Gb/s connection was near my router and a steady 566Mb/s elsewhere in the house.

The May 2020 Windows 10 update didn't install automatically. Says that the laptop is not ready for it yet. I installed it manually via Windows update assistant and no problems so far.

The SD card is connected to the USB bus, so speeds for that are limited to USB speed.

The 256GB M.2 disk is extremely fast. I am getting 2300MB/s + 1500MB/s transfer rates.

If anyone has any questions, just holler.
followed a few of these steps this evening

no real change in userbenchmark for gaming performance (tho as noted it is still a fair performer regardless for a machine without a dedicated gfx card) but the desktop/workstation performance ratings took a big jump

im not sure id keep the settings that way full time, the fan is a bit noisy, but still good to know and thanks again
Thanks from:
03-06-2020, 20:51   #671
podge3

Quote:
AHH no! My parcel wizard deliveies have been very delayed so give it a few more days... What is their lost parcel procedure?

Mine is coming into Parcel Motel so I'm worried about that happening too..
Yeah, I had a coffee machine delayed for 5 days recently but at least that was actually registered on my account as having been delivered to PW. My laptop is just missing😭.
03-06-2020, 20:56   #672
podge3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dos29 View Post
I hate to worry ya but I've had a terrible experience with them over a package they signed for but disappeared without a trace. UPS I'm sure as well actually! A pair of runners I got at a bargain price. Took about 2 and a half months for their insurance to pay out. Sorry!
Thing is, there is no signature from DPD, just says delivered and a name.

I'm hoping it will show up but it'll be a week tomorrow. Not sure on the insurance, or even if they'll pay. I think it's only €50 also.

Oh well, might not be the bargain I thought it was 😩.
04-06-2020, 12:05   #673
p15574

Quote:
Working away fine, but I haven't stressed it with video editing or anything yet so I don't really have an opinion on the performance yet.

I got the USB-C power, though not sure what advantage it has over the bog-standard one. If anything, doesn't it tie up the USB-C port? Am I right in thinking that with this option, only the external power adapter changed, and the laptop internals are all the same? I haven't spent time googling this yet, so there's probably a simple explanation.

One very minor fiddly thing annoying me is the fingerprint sensor sharing the power button. With my previous machine, when finished up for the day, I'd lock it (Windows-L) then press the power button to sleep. With this one, after locking it, when I press the power button, it unlocks it because it recognises the finger. Now I either manually 'sleep' it using the mouse from the lock screen or else press the power button with a finger not registered for fingerprint. I always configure machines to stay awake when the lid is closed in case I'm leaving something running. This actually just spurred me to google it, and I've setup a shortcut I can click now to sleep the machine.

I have noticed the fan kicking in now and then, but I think that's when I don't leave any clearance underneath for air. I have it resting on a book for height and if it's sitting back too far, the 2mm rubber stand thing at the back may not rest on the book, leaving the air intake obscured, so it's probably my fault.

I find the screen resolution excellent, so much so that I have it on (the default) 125% scaling.

I initially was a bit disappointed in only 2 USB ports, as I generally use 3 all the time (mouse, keyboard, headset) and sometimes another for a USB key. My old laptop had 3 ports. I was keeping a lookout to replace my keyboard & mouse with a single set, but have since found a spare USB hub so it's not annoying me any more.
Thanks from:
04-06-2020, 12:20   #674
beauf

The whole USB thing annoys me. I use a lot of USB stuff and one my previous old laptops had 6 USB ports. Once you use a hub, it shares the bandwidth on just one port.
Modern laptops are very stingy with USB ports, they are often poorly places as well. You can get a larger USB hub or docking station but a good one isn't cheap. Though is all you are using is mice and keyboard cheap ones will do.
04-06-2020, 18:00   #675
Hurrache

Lenovo have a flash sale on now, anyone still looking for something might find a machine.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion