Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

12-04-2020, 23:19   #31
rainbowtrout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Coptoor View Post
School I teach in has two LC Physics classes, 2 LC Chemistry classes and 3 LB Bio glasses as well as 2 applied maths classes and LC PE.

There’s a lot of crossover with geography, even with some of the physics students so it’s a non runner.
There can’t be any clashes
No I didn't mean that they should run at the same time, I meant one in the morning and one in the afternoon. I was just picking physics as an example. There are plenty of subjects which have small enough numbers which would mean the number of students who would sit two exams on one day (and be hanging around during the lunch break) would be small enough.

I'm going to take a wild guess that the numbers taking home economics and DCG probably don't overlap too much. Wouldn't be too hard to pick subjects with small number of overlapping students to try and get two subjects done on some days, if the current proposal is to have only one exam per day.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
12-04-2020, 23:33   #32
TheDriver

2 weeks is tight. A lot could be done in tandem but a good few of the above requires a teacher to be seconded. There's a lot of fantasy.....
12-04-2020, 23:49   #33
Arlessienne

LCA Orals and LCA practical performance exams in Hair&Beauty, Ag/Hort, HCT, Office Admin, Leisure.

Aso, a lot of 5th Year LCAs do Irish and/or MFL as a single year course and sit the exam at the end of 5th Year. Are they to come in in July too?

And what about 5th Year LCA tasks? Would they just be pushed out to the next session?
Thanks from:
12-04-2020, 23:49   #34
km79

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDriver View Post
2 weeks is tight. A lot could be done in tandem but a good few of the above requires a teacher to be seconded. There's a lot of fantasy.....
It’s just unworkable
All of it
But focusing on just this aspect of it

It is inequitable
The “practical “ aspect of Irish and the foreign languages had 100% of marks awarded
Music the same

I am actually despairing at the compete and utter shambles of a “plan” the Dept/Minister have come up with
Who exactly is advising them/him
Depressing and scary

Can’t wait to see what happens if things continue to go pear shaped and July/Aug is a non runner

Remote practicals over Zoom maybe
(2) thanks from:
12-04-2020, 23:55   #35
TheDriver

I wonder do unions know this is all a non runner and will probably be just written exams hence why there is little discussion.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
13-04-2020, 00:02   #36
Arlessienne

Also LCA Engineering and Graphics&Construction briefs need to be completed. This is not mentioned at all in the DES statement.
13-04-2020, 00:07   #37
km79

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDriver View Post
I wonder do unions know this is all a non runner and will probably be just written exams hence why there is little discussion.
I wonder how much of it is just put out there as “bargaining chips “ so the union can be seen to get some “wins”
Call me a sceptic but ........
I think what may happen is
Practicals go
JC goes
June 15- July 15 “communication time “ goes
All to be replaced by
4 weeks of “classroom tuition “ for the month of July

All dependent on the health of the nation of course ......
(2) thanks from:
13-04-2020, 08:05   #38
Millem

I can’t even see them having enough superintendents to supervise all these exams especially in Dublin where they are generally short.
Also having no childcare will only add to the shortage.
Thanks from:
13-04-2020, 09:17   #39
Msbookeeper

Maternity leave finished in May

Hi all, I'm due to finish my maternity leave at the end of May, any one have guidance about teachers in that situation? Will I be taking over from my sub for the summer? Or return in September?
Advertisement
13-04-2020, 09:26   #40
History Queen

Hi, I don't have any specific information but I would imagine that you are taking over as would be the norm at any other time of year. Your sub will be going off payroll.
Thanks from:
13-04-2020, 09:30   #41
rainbowtrout

If you're finished your maternity leave in May, then you are back on the payroll and available for work.
Thanks from:
13-04-2020, 09:43   #42
rainbowtrout

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWF View Post
LC Engineering Project deadline was March 6th so tools are down there. You can add the JC Metalwork practical to be done in that two week time frame
Junior Certs aren't coming back in the summer.
13-04-2020, 09:49   #43
CWF

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowtrout View Post
Junior Certs aren't coming back in the summer.
When are they supposed to do their practicals, September?
13-04-2020, 09:51   #44
rainbowtrout

Quote:
Originally Posted by deiseindublin View Post
I'm thinking since Friday about how implausible it is for schools to have all assessments and practicals done in a 2 week block.
That isn't what was proposed. It was proposed that practical exams take place as part of the main exam timetable in August, so Art, Engineering, Construction, Ag Science would fit in there. My guess is that because there is always a two week window to complete these practicals in May, that similar would happen in August. So a school's construction practical would take place on the day that no construction student has a particular subject, e.g. Home Economics, given that we are led to believe that there will be only one written exam per day.

That would work, the biggest issue there would be the need for practical examiners to assess around the country, as they wouldn't be available to supervise exams. I presume this is why they want the examiners who usually supervise JC to be used.
13-04-2020, 09:51   #45
mirrorwall14

The junior cycle continuous assessment list must be mental too

3rd years: assessment tasks for English, Science, Business Studies, Modern Foreign Languages and Irish was March 23rd. May not be completed. Project work for Metalwork, Technology, Materials Technology, Religion and Art. Metal work practicals

So they come back to do the official exams (albeit marked by us) and all of this.....

There will be knock on effects to second year too....

2nd years: English, Science, Business Studies, Modern Foreign Languages, Visual Art, Maths, Music, History, Geography, Home Economics. CBA1 deadlines were in May. Do they go in that September too?
Thread Closed