Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NCT during the 2020/21 Covid19 pandemic

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭jelutong

Off topic but I see some American Car Insurance companies are refunding some of premiums paid by customers for April and May. Very few crashes so very few claims.
    Irish Insurance Companies please copy.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 dominicbond

jelutong wrote: »
    Off topic but I see some American Car Insurance companies are refunding some of premiums paid by customers for April and May. Very few crashes so very few claims.
    Irish Insurance Companies please copy.
    We live in hope. Probably they use the Pandemic as an excuse to increase our premiums ☹️☹️

• Registered Users Posts: 33,834 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Yep 9/11 all over again. Their global losses in competitive markets are imposed upon customers in uncompetitive markets legally obliged to buy their rip-off product.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

Quick question folks, I'm buying a car in early May that doesn't have an NCT. It hasn't had one in years.
    Is there any point in me taxing it? Would I be able to drive it without fear of the Garda hammering me because it's been out for so long even though I'd "just bought" it? *

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.

* Wink, wink.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 dominicbond

Quick question folks, I'm buying a car in early May that doesn't have an NCT. It hasn't had one in years.
    Is there any point in me taxing it? Would I be able to drive it without fear of the Garda hammering me because it's been out for so long even though I'd "just bought" it? *

* Wink, wink.

Obviously no fault of your own that you will be in limbo. Trouble is they will argue that is should had been NCTed years ago. If you can't afford to lay it up it probably isn't worth the risk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

I wouldn't.

Purchase the car when the nct is available. Having one out of date for so long is asking for trouble. Especially with the number of checkpoints around.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,887 ✭✭✭selectamatic

* Wink, wink.

Not a fear they'd let ya away with it imo.

Plenty of the coronavirus checkpoints down the country are being accompanied by roads policing units every so often and they're checking everything.

If you've half a test or your test ran out during this closed period or just before it, would be the only scenarios I'd be thinking that'll get the blind eye treatment.

Cheers lads, I pretty much knew as much meself.
    It's a car I've just finished recommissioning that I transferred into my friend's name for a month to avoid the back tax!
    I'm just dying to drive it again, that's all.
    Even if I could just float around my town breaking in the clutch for a few hundred miles I'd be happy.
    It is what it is I suppose. I'll just have to wait for the test centres to open again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

wassie wrote: »
    This.

Anyone who has an expired NCT should confirm in writing directly from their insurer that they will still have valid cover during this period.

You can not rely advice or statements from anyone else, whether it be the NCTS, Minister, Insurance Ireland or even this forum, regarding ones own validity of cover during this period of NCT closure.

Or they could simply look at the website of their insurance company.

I wish people would stop the catastrophe syndrome posts and use basic common sense

• Registered Users Posts: 33,834 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Yeah TT, it's unfair on people who had a car off the road for whatever reason, and now have it fully roadworthy but the state is refusing to certify it to that effect.

If the state imposes an obligation upon you such as the NCT, then refuses to carry it out, then logically the obligation should be fully removed for that period.

It's unfair too on people who were hoping to learn to drive in the spring / summer period, they can't even get a learner permit as things stand.

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Yeah TT, it's unfair on people who had a car off the road for whatever reason, and now have it fully roadworthy but the state is refusing to certify it to that effect.

If the state imposes an obligation upon you such as the NCT, then refuses to carry it out, then logically the obligation should be fully removed for that period.

It's unfair too on people who were hoping to learn to drive in the spring / summer period, they can't even get a learner permit as things stand.

Ffs, there's a lot of unfairness about. Having a car that has been off the road, off the road for a few more weeks is down at the bottom of the list.

Unfair that hundreds of thousands are suddenly out of work.

Unfair that 10,000 people have this virus

Unfair to the 300+ who have died even if many were in their years.

Unfair that their families could not comfort them in their last days or give them a funeral.

A car that was off the road being delayed a few weeks for getting back on the road???

Darc19 wrote: »
    Ffs, there's a lot of unfairness about. Having a car that has been off the road, off the road for a few more weeks is down at the bottom of the list.

Unfair that hundreds of thousands are suddenly out of work.

Unfair that 10,000 people have this virus

Unfair to the 300+ who have died even if many were in their years.

Unfair that their families could not comfort them in their last days or give them a funeral.

A car that was off the road being delayed a few weeks for getting back on the road???

Nice Straw man there pal, you win the internet.

We're well aware of our first world problems here, thank you. But this is a motoring forum for motoring enthusiasts after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

That's not a strawman btw.

There is different between putting an official thing in place to cover the insurance issue. And putting a car on a road thats been off it for ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,887 ✭✭✭selectamatic

I don't see anyone saying they're the same thing.

Having a car that has been off the road but is now nearly ready to go back on but stuck in limbo is an inconvenience.

It's a minor inconvenience but it is one nonetheless.

I don't see why anyone would come to the nct thread to pontificate about the current wider situation.

It was described as unfair.

Its not unfair. Its fair and reasonable to suspend non essential activity. Like getting a car on the road. if you werent using it its hardly essential.

Not having an NCT though is a legal requirement, as is insurance. That is essential that it is clarified.

Darc19 wrote: »
    Or they could simply look at the website of their insurance company.

I wish people would stop the catastrophe syndrome posts and use basic common sense

No mention of it on my insurance and they are one of the largest ones.

You'd almost think they are being vague deliberately.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭GunnerBlue

Townton wrote: »
    Anyone here know if the NCT is cross recognised in the UK? I am re registering a car in the UK (bloody nightmare and one of the most bureaucratic processes I have ever seen in my life) but they need an mot certificate before they give me new plates. Can't insure it via English company till I have the plates but can't get those till mot is done. So need to insure it here and tax to drive it to the UK to then get the registration done. But I'm pretty sure there is an EU thing of cross recognition anyone aware of it? Otherwise I need to get two tests done and two sets of insurance and tax

NCT is not recognised in the UK. I’ve just registered my Irish car in the UK and the process was as follows:

Inform HMRC within 14 days of import
    Get a garage to do an MOT based on the chassis number
    Get a letter from said garage that your car is suitable to be driven in the UK
    Use this letter to get a certificate of mutual recognition
    Insure the car on its chassis number. Very few companies will do this but Admiral did it for me
    Fill out the registration form, V55/5 (which is a nightmare)
    Send the form with postal order for payment, along with your mutual recognition certificate, original registration document and proof of UK address

Hope everything is in order. I had my forms sent back to me because I thought the mutual recognition certificate only applied to left hand drive cars, as the uk gov website implies. Apparently the fact that cars in Ireland are driven on the left is not proof that my car was suitable to be driven on the left!

Good luck, it’s an absolute pain in the arse of a process.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,199 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

So today they're saying anyone who's expired on or after 28th March is covered by the additional 4 months. Mine ecperieted 25th, we looked to book about a month before and with the issues with lifts and the backlog nothing available until first week of April, took that and put a request to be on the cancellation list. Then test centres closed and test cancelled.

So far at any checkpoints I've shown gardai the proof that we had it booked and they've been fine with that no issue.

Just leaves a bit of a grey area now seeing as the centres were already full and we took the next available date. Essential workers by the way with letters from employer whatever that counts for.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Nice Straw man there pal, you win the internet.

We're well aware of our first world problems here, thank you. But this is a motoring forum for motoring enthusiasts after all.

Look on the bright side, they still haven’t managed to close off the loophole you are exploiting re motor tax; as such, you’re not getting the ****ty end of the stick (yet).

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭aidan_r

Mine expired on the 8th March, I rang up looking for a booking in February and the soonest they could book me in for was 25th March. I asked if they could do any better as I don't want to be driving with expired NCT but they said it should be fine, just show the Garda the booking if stopped.

Failed on Mar 25th on one thing, testing stopped on the 28th so couldn't book a re-test. Now it won't be extended as it expired prior to Mar 28th. I am deemed essential and have to have the car for work, can't even buy a replacement as dealerships are closed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

aidan_r wrote: »
    Mine expired on the 8th March, I rang up looking for a booking in February and the soonest they could book me in for was 25th March. I asked if they could do any better as I don't want to be driving with expired NCT but they said it should be fine, just show the Guards the booking if stopped.

Failed on Mar 25th on one thing, testing stopped on the 28th so couldn't book a re-test. Now it won't be extended as it expired prior to Mar 28th. I am deemed essential and have to have the car for work, can't even buy a replacement as dealerships are closed.

Why would you even consider buying another car?

Not your fault.

I really doubt anyone will give you a trouble over it. If they do, that would be just unfair and I doubt it will happen.

Mine expired on 24th and I also have to work.

I just do. Went through few checkpoints so far and no issues. If you are legit you are.

Common sense. Gardai have it, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Oops!

^^^
    As above, drive on... No Garda is going to give you grief over it...

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭aidan_r

Car is old, I was going to replace it anyway.
    wonski wrote: »
    Why would you even consider buying another car?

Not your fault.

I really doubt anyone will give you a trouble over it. If they do, that would be just unfair and I doubt it will happen.

Mine expired on 24th and I also have to work.

I just do. Went through few checkpoints so far and no issues. If you are legit you are.

Common sense. Gardai have it, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 not2be

GunnerBlue wrote: »
    NCT is not recognised in the UK. I’ve just registered my Irish car in the UK and the process was as follows:

Inform HMRC within 14 days of import
    Get a garage to do an MOT based on the chassis number
    Get a letter from said garage that your car is suitable to be driven in the UK
    Use this letter to get a certificate of mutual recognition
    Insure the car on its chassis number. Very few companies will do this but Admiral did it for me
    Fill out the registration form, V55/5 (which is a nightmare)
    Send the form with postal order for payment, along with your mutual recognition certificate, original registration document and proof of UK address

Hope everything is in order. I had my forms sent back to me because I thought the mutual recognition certificate only applied to left hand drive cars, as the uk gov website implies. Apparently the fact that cars in Ireland are driven on the left is not proof that my car was suitable to be driven on the left!

Good luck, it’s an absolute pain in the arse of a process.

A friend of mine has went through this...

If the certificate of conformity and letter from manufacturer doesn’t specify the the items below get a headed letter from garage that did the mot.

You need a letter stating that the car is right hand drive, headlights suited to driving on the left side of the road, rear fog lamp present & vehicle displaying mph on speedometer.

Is the car your registering over 10 years old? No need for certificate of mutual recognition if the car is over 10 years old.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

My annual NCT is due the start of July. Am I right in saying I can just get it NCTd within 4 months of that date? Does that mean I'd get a "7 month" if it wasn't until the 4 months, or is being reset the in the next test date.

The reason I ask is that the cars only driven 6 months of the year and just trying to figure out

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

antodeco wrote: »
    My annual NCT is due the start of July. Am I right in saying I can just get it NCTd within 4 months of that date? Does that mean I'd get a "7 month" if it wasn't until the 4 months, or is being reset the in the next test date.
    Impossible to answer at the moment as the closures of the NCT centers (and thus the extension of legality of driving with expired test) could continue beyond the timeframe already announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭pacman1989

Just wondering if anyone has any idea as to weather the gardaí and prosecuting for no NCT at the minute?
    I'm trying to get my Celica back on the road but the NCT is up since 11/2019 .
    Not sure weather to risk it or not . The car is in good shape has probably only done 500km since last NCT .
    I have sold my other car so it's either this or buying a cheap runaround until the NCT centres open which will be god knows when at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I don't know whether they will charge you or not, but there is no official grace.

The existing grace is only for cars with certs that expire during covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

So my car was 3 years old at the end of April, what happens here. Anyone got any idea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

My experience with the NCT and COVID 19.

Had the NCT done just lockdown. They couldn't check under car due to the issue with the car lifts at all centres. We were told to come back on a particular date when the lift was working, a day or 2 before lockdown. Got under car checked. Car failed on the fact we needed two new tyres, couldn't get the new tyres due to lockdown. Eventually got them done about 2 weeks ago. NCT now saying we have to repay to get another full NCT test done due to the time period lapsing. Even though the issue has been resolved but we can't get anyone to sign off car as NCT centre is closed.

I'm refusing to do so.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement