Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Norwegian air

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

I wonder will they get nationalised by the Norwegian government, don't the Norwegians already own a chunk of SAS which will need a bailout? It would be a reasonably good fit for Ryanair??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Jack1985

Valhallapt wrote: »
    I wonder will they get nationalised by the Norwegian government, don't the Norwegians already own a chunk of SAS which will need a bailout? It would be a reasonably good fit for Ryanair??

Possibly.. but no airline will be purchasing another at the moment. Airlines worldwide have one goal, preserve cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Is it possible to get a refund if you paid for flights with credit card on Norwegian ?
    scheduled to fly to Norway on June 30, but so far all I've been offered is vouchers or reschedule - now reschedule would be grand, but I don't know will Norwegian air even exist in June/July 2021!!

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭theunforgiven

TomSweeney wrote: »
    Is it possible to get a refund if you paid for flights with credit card on Norwegian ?
    scheduled to fly to Norway on June 30, but so far all I've been offered is vouchers or reschedule - now reschedule would be grand, but I don't know will Norwegian air even exist in June/July 2021!!

I'd say Norwegian,more than most airlines are clinging onto as much cash as possible.
    All I'm being offered is a voucher also. I was thinking that if I held off until the date of the flight had passed and could prove it was cancelled that I could put a chargeback through my CC.
    As it stands, a voucher for E700 Euro, for an airline that mightn't exist in a few months time isn't a gamble I'm happy to take.
    It also expires after 12 months....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

I was due to fly on 23rd May. They cancelled my flight on Wednesday and then it was possible to apply for a refund. The website really pushed the option to exchange for cash points at every step of the way though, so had to be vigilant.

I'll report back when they process my refund.

• Advertisement

That would be great, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Cheers, I'm hoping for a refund too, just go on a better holiday next year with SAS ...

TomSweeney wrote: »
    Cheers, I'm hoping for a refund too, just go on a better holiday next year with SAS ...

My outward journey from Dublin was with SAS who seem to be giving refunds. I'll apply this week for that one.
    Even though technically the flight hasn't been cancelled they seem to be offering full refunds.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/apr/15/norwegian-air-uk-pilots-and-cabin-crew-will-not-receive-april-salary-covid-19

“Pilots and cabin crew employed in the UK by the struggling airline Norwegian Air Shuttle have been told they will not receive their April salary because the airline does not have the money to pay them.”

• Registered Users Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Locker10a wrote: »
    https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/apr/15/norwegian-air-uk-pilots-and-cabin-crew-will-not-receive-april-salary-covid-19

“Pilots and cabin crew employed in the UK by the struggling airline Norwegian Air Shuttle have been told they will not receive their April salary because the airline does not have the money to pay them.”

Ouch, big time ouch, at least have the decency to tell your employees that they wont get paid before they do the work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

smurfjed wrote: »
    Ouch, big time ouch, at least have the decency to tell your employees that they wont get paid before they do the work.

Unusual that they haven’t Furloughed their staff, so as to enable them collect the UK Covid 19 payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

News articles recently said they have temporarily sacked 90% of their workforce.
    I know some of the pay in the airline World is often productivity based so the hours worked last month would be paid this month etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,407 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    Unusual that they haven’t Furloughed their staff to collect the UK Covid 19 payment.

Not up to Norwegian to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

Were they staff with permanent employment contracts or contractors or temporary workers subject to probationary periods. Also just because they report for duty at a work place in a certain jurisdiction it doesn't necessarily mean they have an employment contract with an employer based in same. Many of the worlds bottom feeder airlines have over the years attempted to circumvent social security and employment legislation and some still do.

basill wrote: »
    Were they staff with permanent employment contracts or contractors or temporary workers subject to probationary periods. Also just because they report for duty at a work place in a certain jurisdiction it doesn't necessarily mean they have an employment contract with an employer based in same. Many of the worlds bottom feeder airlines have over the years attempted to circumvent social security and employment legislation and some still do.

Exactly, as with RA cabin crew and some pilots, they are recruited by an agency and are classed by the airline as self employed contractors.

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Not up to Norwegian to do that.

How come?

basill wrote: »

My understanding is that Self Employed workers qualify for the Furlough scheme in the UK as well a directly contracted staff.

Exactly, as with RA cabin crew and some pilots, they are recruited by an agency and are classed by the airline as self employed contractors.

I’m not aware or any Norwegian crew based in the UK who are self employed.
    Perhaps it applies so a tiny number of pilots but Vast majority of crew are permanent staff employed by OSM, the HR arm owned by Norwegian. UK staff are unionised either with BALPA or UNITE for cabin crew. They have been told the company don’t have the cash to pay them right now

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    How come?

They are employed by OSM Aviation UK.

They are employed by OSM Aviation UK.

I simply asked why the staff have not be furloughed and made eligible for the UK Covid 19 payment which is also open to self employed contractors.

• Advertisement

If Pprune is to be believed OSM is 50% owned by Norwegian. It is unclear who has the remaining shares. Norwegian has no cash to pay any wages - preumably to OSM (or so Norwegian are saying). This would imply Norwegian UK is technically insolvent. This then has implications for its AOC under CAA rules - albeit under a pre-covid climate so time will tell if these rules get relaxed given the lack of flying. Whether they will meet the UK Covid Employer scheme rules remains to be seen. A quick google would suggest that OSM as the "employer" would have to apply for any covid wage subsidy payments?

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/four-staffing-units-norwegian-air-112028869.html

Various subsidiary’s of Norwegian have filed for bankruptcy as well as Norwegian terminating contracts with OSM and Rishworths which if I understand correctly means that some 4,700 of the ~6,700 pilots and cabin crew have now been made fully redundant.
    This is a last ditch effort to save Norwegian and it looks like they will try and go back to their roots and be a Norwegian centric airline again.

My thoughts go out to all the staff affected, of which I know many Irish will be impacted by this news too.

IngazZagni wrote: »
    https://finance.yahoo.com/news/four-staffing-units-norwegian-air-112028869.html

Various subsidiary’s of Norwegian have filed for bankruptcy as well as Norwegian terminating contracts with OSM and Rishworths which if I understand correctly means that some 4,700 of the ~6,700 pilots and cabin crew have now been made fully redundant.
    This is a last ditch effort to save Norwegian and it looks like they will try and go back to their roots and be a Norwegian centric airline again.

My thoughts go out to all the staff affected, of which I know many Irish will be impacted by this news too.

It’s quite confusing, so 4 of their owned HR agencies, through whom they employed their staff have gone bankrupt? Do I have that correct ?
    I would imagine if they survive or are bailed out, they will then just re-employ these staff ?

Locker10a wrote: »
    It’s quite confusing, so 4 of their owned HR agencies, through whom they employed their staff have gone bankrupt? Do I have that correct ?
    I would imagine if they survive or are bailed out, they will then just re-employ these staff ?

From what I understand is that Norwegians direct subsidiaries in Sweden and Denmark have declared bankruptcy. Norwegian themselves have terminated pilot and cabin crew contracts via OSM and Richworths.

Looks theyll need other Governments to save those arms of the company. Norway appears to be looking after the Norwegian arm of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

The plan is for Norweigan to restructure its current debt into equity in order to unlock government loans.

This will completely wipe out any existing shareholders. Norweigan are circling the drain at the moment.

Norwegian basically going to turn into a local/regional airline for the next 2 years if they survive.

Dunno what they will do with their fleet with only a handful operating...

Interesting times for that airline:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-04-27/norwegian-proposes-debt-restructuring-that-will-wipe-out-owners

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭john boye

Norwegional?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭Rawr

john boye wrote: »
    Norwegional?

Over here in Norway they are (or were pre-COVID) used an awful lot for domestic routes. So in and around Scandinavia there's still plenty of demand for them.

They for the most part competed with SAS on nearly every regional route, and for some cities offered a lot of frequency. On previous trips I've found myself often selecting Norwegian over SAS because their domestic product was often better than what SAS had to offer.

In many cases the only difference was that Norwegian tended to be cheaper, while SAS would offer one checked bag and a hot drink included in the price. More often than not, the Norwegian flight was plenty good without the free coffee...especially if I was only on a day-trip for work.

Ignoring all of their international woes, Norwegian have also been a good regional airline.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Indeed. Here in Ireland (and the UK) they are seen as a low cost long haul airline. They have been operating for decades but weren’t well known outside Scandinavia/Central Europe.

• Advertisement

Norway - member of EEA but not EU. Picks and chooses which EU laws it wishes to incorporate into its own legislation. Avails of 5th freedom rights, EU traffic rights and free movement of trade etc.

Norwegian Airlines - is able to benefit of all of the above. And when it suits set up EU based subsidaries in member states availing of tax breaks for aircraft purchases/leases/cheaper labour through intermediaries etc.

All of the above has been undertaken within the prevailing law and against a backdrop of some of the lowest fuel costs the industry has seen and yet they haven't been able to turn a profit.

Advertisement