Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Virgin Media Broadband - Price Increase - Break Contract

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,753 ✭✭✭DopeTech

I’m on €60.00 a month for broadband only (240mb) with Virgin Media but I’m thinking about going with the Sky deal (sky q, 100mb broadband and netflix) for €59.00 a month for 12 months.

Was thinking of getting this but signing up via topcashback. Anyone done this before or planning on signing up now and want to see if they get up to £84 cashback?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

Sir Dosser wrote:
    Was thinking of getting this but signing up via topcashback. Anyone done this before or planning on signing up now and want to see if they get up to £84 cashback?

That's for virgin UK not ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

was going to say vodafone site is rubbish to get speeds, but checking atm see they actually see siro up to 1gig available in my area where before it wasnt, will check if i dont get refund into my account next month might as well bail and move to VF, as VM havent sent in proper contract to me, and took full months payment, when it should only been half price, due to their own mess up with disconnecting me, after agreeing to stay :cool:

only issue i know someone had with vodafone, was initial fiber setup, until right engineer showed up took good few weeks, once it was setup over a year not a single issue or outage with service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

Dying to ditch Virgin Media, terrible TV service and now this price increase when I've just come out of contract.

Seems Siro is the only real competitor for broadband though, and it's not in my area yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

I’m on €60.00 a month for broadband only (240mb) with Virgin Media but I’m thinking about going with the Sky deal (sky q, 100mb broadband and netflix) for €59.00 a month for 12 months.

Anyone have any other recommendations? :-)

Have they said your price is increasing?
    €60 a month for 240mb broadband is a joke. Ring them & tell them you’re giving them 1 months notice. I was paying €28 for that broadband for the past 6 months. Tell them you want 6 months 1/2 price minimum or you’re off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭absolutegroove

Tilikum17 wrote: »
    Have they said your price is increasing?
    €60 a month for 240mb broadband is a joke. Ring them & tell them you’re giving them 1 months notice. I was paying €28 for that broadband for the past 6 months. Tell them you want 6 months 1/2 price minimum or you’re off.

Hi Tilikum

I was already on an offer from VM (six months half price and six months full price) and I got the increase to your service email but €60.00 is too much much to pay these days (in my opinion).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,753 ✭✭✭DopeTech

That's for virgin UK not ireland

I had quoted the sky offer.

https://www.topcashback.co.uk/sky-ireland/

Sir Dosser wrote:
    I had quoted the sky offer.

My bad

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Jimmythesaint

For anyone signing up with VF gigabit BB, is that 480 for the year (6*25 + 6*55)? Also is that a 12 mth contract.

I signed up for their Fibre 150mb FTTH package plus landline calls for 40pm for 12mths but having second thoughts now.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭pat1981

For anyone signing up with VF gigabit BB, is that 480 for the year (6*25 + 6*55)? Also is that a 12 mth contract.

I signed up for their Fibre 150mb FTTH package plus landline calls for 40pm for 12mths but having second thoughts now.

I signed up vf gigabit last week 6*25+6*50= 37.50 p/m, and 55 p/m thereafter. (No landline). Yes 12 month contract.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Jimmythesaint

pat1981 wrote: »
    I signed up vf gigabit last week 6*25+6*50= 37.50 p/m, and 55 p/m thereafter. (No landline). Yes 12 month contract.

Thanks, ya the extra fiver is for landline but what I signed up for is not Gigabit, only 150mb. Guess I need to cancel and order the Gigabit. Salesman at the door told me the 25 for six months offer for Gigabit was over!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

Thanks, ya the extra fiver is for landline but what I signed up for is not Gigabit, only 150mb. Guess I need to cancel and order the Gigabit. Salesman at the door told me the 25 for six months offer for Gigabit was over!
    https://n.vodafone.ie/shop/broadband.html?c_id=1712543989&c_name=GO-Fixed-Brand-IE-Broadband-Fibre-Exact&c_source=google&c_medium=ppc&c_term=vodafone%20fiber%20broadband&kpid=go_cmp-1712543989_adg-65810231886_ad-380181800364_kwd-336761174142_dev-c_ext-_prd-&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIoNCrhs_E5QIVBdTeCh33vgB0EAAYASAAEgLe8fD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

seems still on, on their website

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭torrevieja

i have a question i signed a new contract yesterday with Virgin does that increase effect me?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deep1

torrevieja wrote: »
    i have a question i signed a new contract yesterday with Virgin does that increase effect me?

Prob not as you are already on new increased or discount price as new customer but still within cooling off period so you might still cancel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deep1

pat1981 wrote: »

Did your email say 30€ for first 6 months, mine letter and email says 30€ instead of 25€.

I rang them and they said it is system error and she can see it will be 25€.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭brophs

We cancelled broadband/phone a couple of weeks back as the price increases had gotten a bit daft. They didn’t offer anything at the time and I called back this morning and was offered €15 off, final offer. So unless anything changes we’ll just sign up with VF

• Registered Users Posts: 12,420 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

I'd cancel but no one else can offer anything close to the speeds Virgin do in my area. 3 miles outside Dublin city centre. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Monkeyjoe

deep1 wrote: »
    Did your email say 30€ for first 6 months, mine letter and email says 30€ instead of 25€.

I rang them and they said it is system error and she can see it will be 25€.

Mine said the same, but when I logged into the myvodafone page it shows a 5 euro discount for 12 months which would bring it to 25/50 for the 12 months.

Getting it installed next week, so lets see!

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Monkeyjoe

The Nal wrote: »
    I'd cancel but no one else can offer anything close to the speeds Virgin do in my area. 3 miles outside Dublin city centre. :confused:

I rang to cancel and they offered me 6 months half price and 6 months full for naked broadband. Cancelled anyway as I want to try VF 1GB SIRO as its still about 80 cheaper for the first year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,829 ✭✭✭jeffk

The Nal wrote: »

Im in Blanch, one of the booming or was booming areas of growth and its Virgin or "up to" 100

One of the many many things that didn't get the benefit of Celtic tiger etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,420 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

jeffk wrote: »
    Im in Blanch, one of the booming or was booming areas of growth and its Virgin or "up to" 100

Yeah madness really. There should be 4 or 5 offerings over the 250MB mark in all areas. Barbaric stuff that we're stuck with this shíte service.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

How many Linux iso's do you download that you need a lot of bandwidth for :P

I'm in the same boat. But, do I really need 240mb? It's mainly Netflix that needs bandwidth, sure it's nice to have yet downloading but it's already pretty decent one way or the other.

There's a massive price difference between VM and Vodafone.

Edit
    You should see the VM offerings in the UK....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,829 ✭✭✭jeffk

As you cant say too much in legal terms, but yes you can stream or get smaller files like X265 etc

But if say you want full HD or a lot of music etc, you dont want the pc on for hours when it use to take minutes or seconds

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭noble00

Hi can anyone tell me if the Vodafone deal 25 a month includes tv channels , I’m so confused who to go with , I’m definitely cancelling vm I’m sick of the price increase. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Heiser

After 10 years I've switched from virgin to VF. Engineer is coming Monday. I can only only get up to 100mbs but my neighbor has VF and gets 50-60mbps so I'll be happy with that (what do you all need 240mb for!?). I only ever got 50-60mbs speeds with virgin over wi-fi anyway and it was always fine for streaming.

My contract with virgin runs out the week after, so after the VF engineer sets it up I'll give it the week and if the service isn't good enough I'll tell virgin not to cancel but hopefully it won't come to that.

Will update next week after a few days of VF service. Delighted to finally move from Virgin I was sick of them and the price increases every year and am happy out to be only paying 25pm for 6 months and 40 for the other 6 months with VF

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭tandcapply

Just off the phone with Virgin Media.

Paying 46.99 and and increase coming in January, so 50.49 - for 30 Mb/s.

Offered me 10euro off for 9 months. Very bad offer

So bad, I can get GoMo 4g(9.99pm + free calls/texts) and another service like Magnet24(25pm first yr) or Eir 100Mb/s(38pm first yr).

I spend more than 10pm on the phone anyway, so it's practically free internet.

So, I'll go with GoMo and see if I can manage the 80GB pm and if I can't I can always get another service and still be cheaper than Virgin.

Virgin: €563.88 + €42 increase = €605.88 -€90 discount = €459.84
    GoMo: €119.88 + Magnet24(€300) = €419.88

That's how bad Virgin Media are now.

__

I think that you made a mistake there, the amount you're paying VM should be even higher unless I'm missing something:
    Virgin: €563.88 + €42 increase = €605.88 -€90 discount = €459.84
    It's not 459, more like 500

Heiser wrote: »
    After 10 years I've switched from virgin to VF. Engineer is coming Monday. I can only only get up to 100mbs but my neighbor has VF and gets 50-60mbps so I'll be happy with that (what do you all need 240mb for!?). I only ever got 50-60mbs speeds with virgin over wi-fi anyway and it was always fine for streaming.

My contract with virgin runs out the week after, so after the VF engineer sets it up I'll give it the week and if the service isn't good enough I'll tell virgin not to cancel but hopefully it won't come to that.

Will update next week after a few days of VF service. Delighted to finally move from Virgin I was sick of them and the price increases every year and am happy out to be only paying 25pm for 6 months and 40 for the other 6 months with VF

Many people do not realise this

I only ever got 50-60mbs speeds with virgin over wi-fi anyway and it was always fine for streaming

• Registered Users Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

jeffk wrote: »

I'm not too far away in Clonsilla. Was all set to cancel VM and move to VF but Vodafone's website only showed 24Mbps available and after speaking with them to confirm they advised they only saw 12Mbps at my address. Pathetic for an urban and supposedly developed area.
    Spoke to a neighbour since who's with Eir so same type of connection and said it was adequate although was unsure of download speeds. Need to do a bit more quizzing of neighbours but a lot of them are with VM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

noble00 wrote: »
    Hi can anyone tell me if the Vodafone deal 25 a month includes tv channels , I’m so confused who to go with , I’m definitely cancelling vm I’m sick of the price increase. Thanks

It does not include tv channels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭kindalen

Am leaving VM for Vodafone too. Price increases a joke. Also sick of listening to the blatent nonsense agents spout about the competition.

Advertisement