Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

16-05-2019, 21:15   #46

I've always hated that programme. I visit an elderly relative who watched this show 'religiously'. I couldn't understand why an otherwise intelligent woman would be interested in such rot. It was never allowed on in our house but I had to sit tortured while she had it on. It was horrendous.
Advertisement
17-05-2019, 08:55   #47
campingcarist

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Late Late Show View Post
I always thought that and similar shows were almost 100% staged. Apparently not. Good riddance to this stuff and it is time that cheap reality TV that 'entertains' people via preying on people's misfortunes is scrapped for good.

It was staged by the fact that the "guests" were hand picked for a reason - that they were liable to be explosive in front of the camera, didn't mind having their dirty washing broadcast to the entire country and were able to "put on a show".
Thanks from:
20-05-2019, 05:37   #48
NIMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by campingcarist View Post
It was staged by the fact that the "guests" were hand picked for a reason - that they were liable to be explosive in front of the camera, didn't mind having their dirty washing broadcast to the entire country and were able to "put on a show".
... and fed copious amounts of free booze before shows too apparently to help fuel the madness.
Thanks from:
21-05-2019, 00:38   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by campingcarist View Post
The amount of people addicted to this show amazed me. It just shows anything will become popular once it finds an audience. I always thought it was faked but apparently it was real.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIMAN View Post
... and fed copious amounts of free booze before shows too apparently to help fuel the madness.
And that explains why people went on it! We are only here for the beer!
28-05-2019, 16:11   #50
Berckoise

The ones that make me cringe the most are the programmes where they give people free stuff provided they screech, jump up and down in a manic fashion and hug anyone within reach. Do they have to practise before the show airs?
Admittedly this only happens on U.S. shows. Presumably the Late Late audiences are tougher, or the give-aways less impressive.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
28-05-2019, 20:25   #51

Once I sat down for a cuppa and flicked from channel to channel and left it on 'Extreme Couponing' or some such drivel. The experienced 'Couponer' was to meet a newbie at a store to assist in the task of getting a shed load of food for nothing. They met outside the store......the 'conversation' went like this...

1st - I'm soooo excited to be doing this. I just can't wait. Soooo excited now.
2nd - Hi there how are you? Are you excited to be doing this? I'm sooo excited.
1st - Yeah, I'm sooo excited. Are you excited?
2nd - Yeah, I'm just sooo excited.

So of they went, sooooo excited, and supposedly got a ton of crap for nothing!

I switched off at that point.

Give me strength!
Thanks from:
28-05-2019, 21:54   #52
NIMAN

I had the misfortune the other night to see a bit of Britain's Got Talent on ITV.

I haven't seen these types of shows for maybe a decade or more, but I always assumed they would have singers, dance troupes etc. Basically people with some talent, and likely the best in the country.

1st act was a chubby little Indian child of 14, who was awful at dancing. I could have done better myself, but to my surprise the judges found him fantastic. Baffled I was.

Thankfully I had to go to my work and didn't see any more acts, but apparently next up was a man and a dog. Shame to miss that.

Cannot understand how these shows still have an audience. And they came complete with the screaming crowd.
(2) thanks from:
29-05-2019, 20:30   #53

Opportunity Knocked for Lennie Henry and heard recently also Su Pollard, Les Dawson, the Batchelors amongst others. However, Gerry Dorsey didn't make it on OK and morphed into Englebert Humperdinck. I never watched OK as we didn't have TV in the early days and then only RTE but I bet there were more than a few clangers on it as well.
29-05-2019, 20:32   #54

63 Up

Have to give a mention to this programme on next Tues-Fri I think on ITV. Set your recorders! I've seen a couple of this series but not the original 7 Up one. Sadly I don't have ITV, hope it comes to Virgin Media at some stage.
Advertisement
19-06-2019, 01:02   #55

Well we just watched our recording of 63 Up. Omigosh, it made us really see how fast time flies and how short life truly is. It was quite a slap in the face. I mean, we know it, but having watched this series for so many years and now they are our age and on this programme one man is quite ill. Very upsetting.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion