Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
10-03-2019, 11:04   #16
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 1,548
Eerily similar to Lion Air crash. Could see a grounding of the MAX fairly soon.
Mahony0509 is offline  
Advertisement
10-03-2019, 11:27   #17
Larbre34
Registered User
 
Larbre34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 12,562
I'd say a lot of blood just ran cold in the greater Seattle area.

If this is another Lion Air, i.e. an ultra-modern Aircraft's computer intervening in response to erroneous speed and attitude readings from its own systems and compensating with fatal flight control inputs, then its most serious and fundamental flight safety issue since the Airbus joystick input can of worms (AF447 etc)

May the victims today rest in peace.
Larbre34 is online now  
10-03-2019, 11:31   #18
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 404
Very sad news. RIP
Duane Dibbley is offline  
10-03-2019, 11:35   #19
duskyjoe
Registered User
 
duskyjoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larbre34 View Post
I'd say a lot of blood just ran cold in the greater Seattle area.

If this is another Lion Air, i.e. an ultra-modern Aircraft's computer intervening in response to erroneous speed and attitude readings from its own systems and compensating with fatal flight control inputs, then its most serious and fundamental flight safety issue since the Airbus joystick input can of worms (AF447 etc)

May the victims today rest in peace.
Agree totally - as a sideline re your comment on AF447- the aircraft was fully serviceable.

A truer word re blood running cold in seattle this morn.
duskyjoe is offline  
10-03-2019, 12:07   #20
lfc200
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 255
How many 737Max are in service now?
IF this was found or early evidence points to this being the same as Lion Air are we likely to see the plane grounded?
lfc200 is offline  
Advertisement
10-03-2019, 12:16   #21
billy few mates
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 6,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larbre34 View Post
I'd say a lot of blood just ran cold in the greater Seattle area.

If this is another Lion Air, i.e. an ultra-modern Aircraft's computer intervening in response to erroneous speed and attitude readings from its own systems and compensating with fatal flight control inputs, then its most serious and fundamental flight safety issue since the Airbus joystick input can of worms (AF447 etc)

May the victims today rest in peace.
Might be something a lot simpler than that...

"last transponder data were received from position N9.027 E39.153 about 21nm east of Addis Ababa at FL086. Terrain elevation at that point is 8130 feet MSL, FL086 reported by the Mode-S Altimeter (which always measures to standard pressure 1013 QNH) corrected for QNH indicates the aircraft was flying at 9027 feet MSL at that position."

RIP to all involved...
billy few mates is offline  
10-03-2019, 12:27   #22
FrancieBrady
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 33,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfc200 View Post
How many 737Max are in service now?
IF this was found or early evidence points to this being the same as Lion Air are we likely to see the plane grounded?
330 according to this.

http://www.b737.org.uk/sales.htm
FrancieBrady is online now  
Thanks from:
10-03-2019, 12:31   #23
Jude13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,547
"In a press conference the Ethiopian Airlines CEO stated that the pilot of #ET302 reported difficulties with the aircraft to ATC. He was given clearance to return to the airport."
Jude13 is offline  
Thanks from:
10-03-2019, 12:38   #24
IQO
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 173
https://twitter.com/ntvkenya/status/1104722491203833857
IQO is offline  
Advertisement
10-03-2019, 12:53   #25
TheMilkyPirate
Registered User
 
TheMilkyPirate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 4,908
Is this the same plane Ryanair have 200 of starting delivery in spring? Or is it a different variation
TheMilkyPirate is offline  
10-03-2019, 12:58   #26
VG31
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,970
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMilkyPirate View Post
Is this the same plane Ryanair have 200 of starting delivery in spring? Or is it a different variation
It's pretty much the same (737 MAX 200), just a higher density version with additional emergency exits because of that.
VG31 is offline  
Thanks from:
10-03-2019, 13:07   #27
Blanco100
Registered User
 
Blanco100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 1,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by duskyjoe View Post
Agree totally - as a sideline re your comment on AF447- the aircraft was fully serviceable.

A truer word re blood running cold in seattle this morn.
can i ask why Seattle?
Blanco100 is offline  
10-03-2019, 13:08   #28
Negative_G
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanco100 View Post
can i ask why Seattle?
Home of boeing.
Negative_G is offline  
10-03-2019, 13:21   #29
john boye
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 866
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negative_G View Post
Home of boeing.
Chicago these days
john boye is offline  
10-03-2019, 13:23   #30
Comhra
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,699
Company HQ is Chicago, aircraft are built in Seattle.
Comhra is offline  
(2) thanks from:
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet