Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

21-01-2019, 16:17   #16
kerry37

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetzgerMeister View Post
Speed vans are able to monitor at least 2 lanes of traffic at a time so if this other driver was overtaking you they would be in the outside lane.
Ok, thanks. Wanst sure if they were able to monitor 2 lanes at once or not.

Yes, I was in the left lane, he was in the outside lane over taking me.

Cheers.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
28-01-2019, 13:40   #17
DPolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerry37 View Post
Ok, thanks. Wanst sure if they were able to monitor 2 lanes at once or not.

Yes, I was in the left lane, he was in the outside lane over taking me.

Cheers.
Taken from myvehicle.ie
"The picture they send out to you with your speeding fine will be zoomed in tight to your vehicles number plate. These vans work off K-Band radar (which is very similar to automatic door openers in shops/ garages etc). There is also a forward facing camera on the dashboard of the van, primarily to read motorbike plates"

They work off radar and take still image automatically, computer works out which car triggered the speed camera
10-02-2019, 19:42   #18
socco

How long does it take a speed fine to issue and arrive in the post?

Reason for asking is I was on the M7 last Thursday and I passed a unmarked Guard car. I didn't get pulled but I was doing slightly over 130ish so I'm not sure if I'll get a fine in the post or not.

I hands up accept the fine/points if I get one and lesson learned to pay more attention to the speed I'm doing from now on just not sure how long it would take the fine to arrive if I'm getting one or if I may have got lucky and escaped with just a lesson learned.

Last edited by socco; 10-02-2019 at 22:53. Reason: .
11-02-2019, 13:09   #19
Killinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by socco View Post
How long does it take a speed fine to issue and arrive in the post?

Reason for asking is I was on the M7 last Thursday and I passed a unmarked Guard car. I didn't get pulled but I was doing slightly over 130ish so I'm not sure if I'll get a fine in the post or not.

I hands up accept the fine/points if I get one and lesson learned to pay more attention to the speed I'm doing from now on just not sure how long it would take the fine to arrive if I'm getting one or if I may have got lucky and escaped with just a lesson learned.
If it was a Garda car, they'd have pulled you, showed you your clocked speed on their gun (not even like they had one), had a word and let you go.
04-03-2019, 10:27   #20

Another great triumph for the Irish legal system as a smart solicitor enables six speeding (allegedly) drivers to get away with it.

https://www.independent.ie/regionals...-37852689.html

Last edited by Squatter; 04-03-2019 at 11:42. Reason: clarity
Advertisement
05-03-2019, 20:25   #21
Samuel T. Cogley

The only thing that gets me there is why the woman from Balbriggan is getting singled out - twice

Silly question but who do I ring to see if penalty points are still in effect?
Thanks from:
07-03-2019, 16:17   #22
GM228

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel T. Cogley View Post
The only thing that gets me there is why the woman from Balbriggan is getting singled out - twice

Silly question but who do I ring to see if penalty points are still in effect?
The RSA - 1890 41 61 41
Thanks from:
16-03-2019, 20:30   #23
wassie

Advanced speed camera tech has been in operation for quite some time. This article & video from the Independant in 2017 summarises it very well.

The 50 plus speed vans can detect speeding from both the back and front of the vans and at night. Just because you didn't see a flash does not mean you were not caught!...
The cameras can now detect speeding across five lanes, which means they can even detect speeding vehicles on the other side of a dual carriageway.
18-03-2019, 21:45   #24
tonytoc11

I've noticed a lot of the new Hyundai Tucsons sitting on slip roads of motorways recently and facing the traffic going away from them, so you wouldn't see it unless you look in your mirror.

Do the new fleet still need to stop you, or do they have a new system where they can take a picture of your reg (like the vans)?
Advertisement
07-04-2019, 10:15   #25
Dónal
Gravity is a harsh mistress

Just for curiosity - if a council hasn't taken in charge a road yet, can penalty points be issued on it?
07-04-2019, 13:40   #26
Killinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dónal View Post
Just for curiosity - if a council hasn't taken in charge a road yet, can penalty points be issued on it?
If it falls under definition for public place as defined by the road traffic act then yes:

“public place” means any street, road or other place to which the public have access with vehicles whether as of right or by permission and whether subject to or free of charge;
20-04-2019, 17:09   #27
PlentyOhToole

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonytoc11 View Post
I've noticed a lot of the new Hyundai Tucsons sitting on slip roads of motorways recently and facing the traffic going away from them, so you wouldn't see it unless you look in your mirror.

Do the new fleet still need to stop you, or do they have a new system where they can take a picture of your reg (like the vans)?
Same question- the one I saw looked like a Toyota Hilux jobie on the M7- fair play to them but think I might have been 10km over the speed limit- guard was holding a handheld device of some description- but crouched down as if looking through a viewfinder-do they still have to chase you or do they have that camera technology now in non-vans?
22-04-2019, 18:26   #28
_Kaiser_

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlentyOhToole View Post
Same question- the one I saw looked like a Toyota Hilux jobie on the M7- fair play to them but think I might have been 10km over the speed limit- guard was holding a handheld device of some description- but crouched down as if looking through a viewfinder-do they still have to chase you or do they have that camera technology now in non-vans?
If they don't come after you, you'll be fine. The only ones that capture images for later follow up are the vans
Thanks from:
08-05-2019, 08:01   #29
_Kaiser_

Was southbound on the M8 the other day and a few km before Fermoy, rounded a bend to see a red transit camera van hidden behind it. No markings and a single reflective stripe along the side.

One of the survey vans rather than enforcement vans right?
08-05-2019, 15:30   #30
Infini

Noticed a white van no markings on the side of the M50 yesterday, dunno if it was a speedo van or not as I thought they were all marked but I thought they werent allowed on Motorways with them as thats the job of the guards?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion