Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.

And the winner of dreamer of the year is... Part 2!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,257 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Top Dog wrote: »
    Absolute poverty spec with high tax - it's not worth quarter of the asking price :eek:

Basic wheels, cloth interior, no colour coded bumpers and no running boards.

Seems bananas overpriced

• Registered Users Posts: 73,379 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

This guy is unreal when it comes to the crap he retails. He will hang onto cars for years too.
    I think he lost the Suzuki franchise recently. Makes his money from recovery as far as I know. The Subaru franchise isn’t doing anything either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

TrailerBob wrote: »
    1 week only lads be quick!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

New tyres too. Wow. Don't hesitate guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Jaysus them vans were horrible gutless yokes, drove many ex eircon, telecom eireann ones....

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭French Toast

Christ, €9,500? One third of that would be closer to the mark. Love this line...
    This van is in overall good condition, I wont say rust free but all welding and new sills were done

• Registered Users Posts: 8,675 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Jaysus them vans were horrible gutless yokes, drove many ex eircon, telecom eireann ones....

Absolute piles of junk, buggers to start too!! Not one of Henry's better creations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bob the Seducer

This delightful yellow Volkswagen Polo GTI can be yours for the low low price of only €9,950

NmE1ZWE5Y2JlNmNiZmI3YWMyY2Y4MzViOWM2MjQyMzQensL29lHElD-6GaelWrMpaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNzYyNzA2Mjh8fHx8fHw2MDB4NDUwfHx8fHw=.jpeg

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/volkswagen-gti-rare-only-70k-kilometres/27730091?campaign=3

Of course, you may prefer this surprisingly similar one for only €1,100 (€2,274 delivered to Dublin port from Japan)

BH809419_818971.jpg

https://www.beforward.jp/volkswagen/polo/bh809419/id/2343975/

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

This delightful yellow Volkswagen Polo GTI can be yours for the low low price of only €9,950

NmE1ZWE5Y2JlNmNiZmI3YWMyY2Y4MzViOWM2MjQyMzQensL29lHElD-6GaelWrMpaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNzYyNzA2Mjh8fHx8fHw2MDB4NDUwfHx8fHw=.jpeg

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/volkswagen-gti-rare-only-70k-kilometres/27730091?campaign=3

Of course, you may prefer this surprisingly similar one for only €1,100 (€2,274 delivered to Dublin port from Japan)

BH809419_818971.jpg

https://www.beforward.jp/volkswagen/polo/bh809419/id/2343975/

After all things considered that would be a tidy profit he's tryna make.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,375 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

That polo looks like it's still available to buy on the japanese site? What's stopping someone else slipping in there?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Look at all those blank switches. That would irritate me.

YjkyZjdmNmY4ODQ1YjJiOGY3NjdiOGJlMTM2MmVhNDhqJavAxuKrX5HQXgdVLfIgaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNzYyNzA2MzR8fHwxMjAweDEyMDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Think those button blanks are a hangover from the pre-facelift where they had the locking and window buttons in the centre console. Quick google says heated seat switches are missing.

That polo looks like it's still available to buy on the japanese site? What's stopping someone else slipping in there?

If I was to give the seller the benefit of the doubt, the car could have been bought through another website with that listing a hangover that hasn't been taken down yet.

The fact that the photos being used were taken by the Japanese seller doesn't fill me with confidence that the car is currently in the country.

It'd be cheeky enough selling a car that hasn't landed yet, advertising a car you haven't even bought would be, well...

There is something about that Japanese site that does not sit right with me.

Car is reduced from $5,660 to $1,290. Nobody reduces a cars price by 77%.

Also it costs $2,679 to ship to Dublin and $10,481 to Cork.

Alarm bells very much ringing.

That’s cos to deliver to Cork you’d be sending it in a container.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    That’s cos to deliver to Cork you’d be sending it in a container.

Not sure I follow. Wouldnt you be doing the same sending it from Japan to Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Tzardine wrote: »
    Not sure I follow. Wouldnt you be doing the same sending it from Japan to Dublin?

No roll on roll off. So it is out in the elements of the salty water splashing up onto it during the trek from Japan to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,694 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

No roll on roll off. So it is out in the elements of the salty water splashing up onto it during the trek from Japan to Ireland.

RORO is usually below deck, mine was anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Technique

We don't have any direct shipments from Asia. The cars will be shipped to somewhere like Rotterdam or Southampton and then switched to a feeder vessel to Ireland.

Technique wrote: »
    We don't have any direct shipments from Asia. The cars will be shipped to somewhere like Rotterdam or Southampton and then switched to a feeder vessel to Ireland.

I knew that same if you are flying to some countries you usually have to get a flight to London and then London to where ever you are going.

Tzardine wrote: »
    There is something about that Japanese site that does not sit right with me.

Car is reduced from $5,660 to $1,290. Nobody reduces a cars price by 77%.

Also it costs $2,679 to ship to Dublin and $10,481 to Cork.

Alarm bells very much ringing.

I'll be honest, it's the first time I've come across that particular site. I went searching for the Polo after seeing the price on DoneDeal because I could tell the photos weren't taken in Ireland, I guessed it would either be Japan or New Zealand. Their TrustPilot reviews are a sight to behold! :eek:

I'd assumed the price reduction was just a swizz to gain views, but having used the bing website cache, it appears the car was previously listed for the higher price (at least for a while). I'd fear the automotive equivalent of the Argos catalogue in a PlayStation box based on the current deep discount though.

Also surprised to see what appears to be the full chassis no / VIN listed publicly...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭User1998

I’ve bought several cars from that website with no issue.

Looks like the seller has no plans to actually buy the car unless someone gives a deposit first. The car definitely wouldn’t still be showing if he had paid for it through that website

Total price on Irish plates would be around €4k

User1998 wrote: »

Looks like the seller has no plans to actually buy the car unless someone gives a deposit first. The car definitely wouldn’t still be showing if he had paid for it through that website

About the usual mark up for any auction sourced car so.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭bigmac3

User1998 wrote: »

Seems pretty reasonable, are Japanese imports hard to insure?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭User1998

Well that Polo would be on a classic policy anyway

He must have come down off what ever drug he was on looking for 7 grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

Definitely a case of misjudging the market... the Sportings are getting rare, but still have little enough sale value. Its a niche car