Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

20-11-2018, 15:37   #1
tac foley

Traditional longbow making....

in Czech Republic. I thought you might like to see this little video of a master craftsman doing his thing from start to finish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68L7n5Shd3I
Thanks from:
Advertisement
21-11-2018, 09:45   #2
BrokenArrows

Interesting video but find it a bit odd that he's using what looks like an aged log to carve from. Shouldn't they be made from more flexible wood and not cut from big logs? That just my perception with zero knowledge on the subject. Haha
21-11-2018, 11:04   #3
tac foley

In order the get the two different types of wood needed for the back and belly of a D-cross-section self bow like this, you need a bow stave that starts off at least three or four inches square. Where HE lives, yew trees are obviously a lot bigger than they are here in UK, home of the longbow - his bow-wood staves ae simply quarter logs for convenience. I'd bet he knows full well what is needed to make a bow. If you are interested, perhaps you'd learn somethng from watching Richard Head, the famous English bowyer, on his Youtube channel.

Incidentally, the five longbows I made, a good while ago, it must be said, started off as three-inch square staves of lemonwood. Three of them are still in use, one was broken, having been loosed from full-draw without an arrow by a visiting newspaper reporter, and one was lost in a house fire.

Last edited by tac foley; 21-11-2018 at 13:57.
21-11-2018, 13:53   #4
BrokenArrows

I bet you were pretty pissed at the reporter.
Thanks from:
21-11-2018, 13:57   #5
tac foley

Not I, Sir. The owner of the bow was, though. She had only had it a week.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
01-05-2019, 10:48   #6
Kloe_Kat
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tac foley View Post
In order the get the two different types of wood needed for the back and belly of a D-cross-section self bow like this, you need a bow stave that starts off at least three or four inches square. Where HE lives, yew trees are obviously a lot bigger than they are here in UK, home of the longbow - his bow-wood staves ae simply quarter logs for convenience. I'd bet he knows full well what is needed to make a bow. If you are interested, perhaps you'd learn somethng from watching Richard Head, the famous English bowyer, on his Youtube channel.

Incidentally, the five longbows I made, a good while ago, it must be said, started off as three-inch square staves of lemonwood. Three of them are still in use, one was broken, having been loosed from full-draw without an arrow by a visiting newspaper reporter, and one was lost in a house fire.
Not sure what wood he uses in the video but it is not yew.
01-05-2019, 12:05   #7
tac foley

My wrong - he is Latvian and his name is Maris Zvers, one of a group of traditional craftsmen called the Northmen. I found him on Booktwitch, and I've asked him what the log of wood is that he uses to make the bow.

Here is a website - https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/ZversAr...g_id=675386813

I have to say that his bows look totally drop-dead gorgeous - I'm very tempted to get one of his 58" recurves for bare-bow shooting.

Last edited by tac foley; 01-05-2019 at 12:14.
01-05-2019, 15:07   #8
tac foley

'kay - here is his resplone -

Sender: Māris Zvērs Date: Just now 10:04 EDT

No problem. Bow was made of European Ash.

Regards,

Maris
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion