Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

17-10-2018, 16:26   #1
BrokenArrows

How was your session today?

Hi All,

I'm just getting back into archery now after a 10 year break.

In an effort to spring some life back into this forum how about we post how our training is going.

How about everyone post a scoring attempt and we can keep track of how we are improving. Whether its 5, 10 or 20 ends. Just say to yourself im going to score the next X rounds and post them here.

So today after 45 minutes of practicing I decided to score the next 10 ends to give myself a benchmark.

18 meters - Olympic Recurve - 10 ends = 162 (5.4 average per arrow).

Hopefully ill get back to my 8+ average from many years ago.
Advertisement
19-10-2018, 15:11   #2
Wabbit Ears

nice idea.
I just signed up for Nimes so really need to focus on shooting much much better. Will update this wednesday next when I shoot at a test comp. I dont have 18 meters to practise at so practise if just for form and constistant shooting at the moment.
20-10-2018, 11:58   #3
greysides

I haven't shot much competitively for about 5 years. I've been battling Target Panic so shooting is more about being able to shoot comfortably than considering scores. Helping to run a club, helping at Beginners courses and then induction into the club has severely restricted my practice time resulting in loss of bow fitness which has not helped the TP. Consequently practice is more about fitness and mental form than worrying about scores.
22-10-2018, 11:42   #4
BrokenArrows

I havent scored anything recently.

My last few sessions ive been focusing on my anchor point and release and not paying too much attention to where the arrow is going. Finding it hard to be consistent with my anchor point.

My next session will be tomorrow. Ill score 10 ends and see where im at.
22-10-2018, 14:15   #5
greysides

Don't be afraid to experiment with anchor. Your real anchor point is in your back so sort that first and along the way note the facial references. Things may have changed with your anatomy while you were stopped shooting so getting that sorted before tuning/scoring is doing it in the right order. That a look at archery on YouTube and note the variety of anchors. Ideally you need a hard tissue reference in all three axises.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
23-10-2018, 19:47   #6
BrokenArrows

18 meters - Olympic Recurve - 10 ends = 187 (6.2 average per arrow).

Was doing very well apart from the last two ends where I got a 12 and a 9. Shockingly bad, killed my average. Was tired. The stamina isn't there yet.

Last edited by BrokenArrows; 23-10-2018 at 20:03.
Thanks from:
26-10-2018, 21:44   #7
BrokenArrows

Got my new bow delivered today. Dont need to use club equipment anymore yay. Got it sencond hand on eBay and has almost never been shot.

70" Bow .
25" SF Forged + Riser
32lbs Core Ignite limbs.
8 x Easton XX75 arrows

Looking forward to shooting with it but unfortunately sick at the moment. Booo!!
26-10-2018, 23:40   #8
greysides

Your own will help but it takes a while to really tune it to yourelf. Enjoy!
Thanks from:
27-10-2018, 18:22   #9
BrokenArrows

So spent 3 hours shooting and tuning the new bow today.
Went from completely missing the boss a few times to a reasonable grouping.

I got tired so stopped. No point in tuning when tired and not shooting with good form.

Last edited by BrokenArrows; 27-10-2018 at 19:16.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
30-10-2018, 19:38   #10
BrokenArrows

18 meters - Olympic Recurve - 10 ends = 193 (6.4 average per arrow).

Slightly higher score than last time but shot worse.
The higher poundage of the bow is tiring. I need to hit the gym to get some strength and stamina.
30-10-2018, 19:52   #11
greysides

Do some drawing and holding exercises at home. Start with a few held for a short time and work up. A fortnight would see a big difference.
Thanks from:
31-10-2018, 12:46   #12
BrokenArrows

Quote:
Originally Posted by greysides View Post
Do some drawing and holding exercises at home. Start with a few held for a short time and work up. A fortnight would see a big difference.
I'll give that a go. It seems to be my biggest flaw at the moment.

At the start of the session I was grouping in the yellow but after 6+ ends it fell apart.
Thanks from:
08-11-2018, 19:53   #13
BrokenArrows

18 meters - Olympic Recurve - 10 ends = 169 (5.6 average per arrow).

Shocking.

I've been working on stamina and I think it's improving, but developing a serious case of target panic. Find it so hard to just sit on the yellow and decide when to release. I'm reading almost automatically when I'm roughly near the yellow.
08-11-2018, 20:18   #14
greysides

Focus less on aiming and score and completely on shot sequence. Practice 'no-shoot' drills, coming to full draw and just seeing the yellow through the sight. Hold for a while then let-down. Increase repetitions and holding time slowly, over days and weeks. DO NOT RELEASE!
Forget totally about scoring.

Your physical shot sequence needs a parallel mental thought process. One that puts very little emphasis on aiming. That is already programmed into your brain so focus on what isn't. Distract your aiming thoughts into something useful, like back tension.

When you can again hold on the yellow it will be time to think about a clicker as release trigger but you must be able to draw consistently to your drawlength leaving approximately 3mm for expansion through the clicker. You release on the click.

Seek help from a coach or an experienced archer. If necesary a sports physcologist.
08-11-2018, 20:51   #15
BrokenArrows

Sounds like a good idea with the drawing and not shooting thing. I might have to put something valuable on the target face to give motivation to hold. Haha.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion