Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

29-06-2016, 19:48   #16
Joeytheparrot

Moved to humanities forum as it's a much broader discussion
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
18-07-2016, 19:53   #17
kupus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortySeven View Post
I've read some guff in my time but this really takes the biscuit.
I agree. It's ****e like this that has me close to closing my account and people are wondering why boards is falling off a cliff numbers wise.
18-07-2016, 20:13   #18
Joeytheparrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kupus View Post
I agree. It's ****e like this that has me close to closing my account and people are wondering why boards is falling off a cliff numbers wise.

What's your argument then?
19-07-2016, 09:47   #19
kupus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeytheparrot View Post
What's your argument then?
What's the point, you say right I say left.
19-07-2016, 11:03   #20
baby and crumble

Quote:
Go on so, no-one's forcing you to be here. It's a discussion forum. As in, DIFFERING opinions. I've no problem debating people but you seem to.
Advertisement
19-07-2016, 11:49   #21
Too Tough To Die

Quote:
Agreed, utterly stupid and unhelpful comment that amounted to little more than 'stop crying ye big babies'. Fantastic.
19-07-2016, 11:54   #22
20Cent

There is a long interview of him by Joe Rogan on YouTube. He totally contradicts himself all the time. problem is he claims to be serious and likes to troll. I can't tell when he is doing either though.
Thanks from:
19-07-2016, 12:01   #23
baby and crumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Tough To Die View Post
Agreed, utterly stupid and unhelpful comment that amounted to little more than 'stop crying ye big babies'. Fantastic.
Really? What is your alternative then? How do you propose we combat structural racism, sexism, ageism, homophobia? What is the point of your comment?

Come on, guys. At least try and back up your opinions with facts or some sort of academic discourse. Don't moan at me because I have an opinion that I've formed through discussion, research and my own personal experiences and those of my friends.
Thanks from:
19-07-2016, 12:47   #24
Pat Mustard

Mod:

I would ask posters to move back on topic with reasoned arguments, please.

This is the Humanities forum and there is a standard of discussion.
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
19-07-2016, 19:49   #25
Joeytheparrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Tough To Die View Post
Is that your argument?
19-07-2016, 23:12   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by baby and crumble View Post
TBH I find it amusing how after centuries of oppressing pretty much everyone, we have maybe 50 years of trying to equalise the playing field and the white dudes are freaking out. They are, in many ways, getting a taste of their own medicine and they HATE it.
What happens in these conversations is that we get a statements like above about "white men" crying about efforts at equality.
What this ignores is that if we consider the people that tend to listen to the Alt-Right or the New Reactionaries (is Milo Alt-Right- not actually sure what his views are on stuff apart from feminism and free speech), is that a comparison is made between either older white men and the general population or alternatively between younger white men and minorities, the comparison is not made between younger white men and their equivalent of the opposite gender.

Apart from sexual violence is there a serious measurable negative outcome that otherwise identical college educated under the age of 30-35 women experience worse than their male counterparts.
The list is easy for negative impacts on males.
Poorer education, Unemployment, Lower wages, higher accidental death, higher suicide, higher murder, higher assault, poorer view from general society (for uk anyway according to studies).

This idea that males are privileged doesn't apply in the modern world and those that have grown up in it. You shouldn't compare a young guy to a guy in his 50-60's because they have grown up under completely different conditions yet its always done because the idea of male privilege is so central to many of these ideologies and its an easy socially acceptable target.

Thats reason people like him are becoming more popular is because of this

Also the language used is indicative of the attitudes behind it: Getting a taste of their own medicine a lot of progressive/SJW attitudes aren't built on equalizing they are built on the idea of punishment of the sins of their forefathers in general (and on the personal level whatever person bullied them at some stage)

Quote:
Originally Posted by baby and crumble View Post
I do agree, that there are huge swathes of young, working class white men who are totally marginalised and under-educated, but I don't think that is the fault of scholarship programs. It's a systemic problem coming from decision made by successive governments around the world- usually because these young white men made the mistake of living in areas which became racially diverse, so they got caught in the crossfire that black and other minorities have been experiencing for centuries.
Why in a country like the UK are poor white males the worst educational performers then? if its due what you state they should be performing equally to other minorities they aren't though and their is a stark gender divide.
If your answer relates to a culture/attitude among young poorer white British males remember that this answer can also be brought to bear on criminality among Black Males and the "wage gap" among women.

About the man himself, not a huge fan of him at all, but he is quick witted and he is eloquent, and more importantly the people he tends to argue with I disagree with much more.

Socially he's an interesting item, here is a gay guy thats adored by those that are apparently reactionary phobic people, he also uses his sexual identity as an armor against those that tend to invalidate opinions/arguments by focusing on the identity of the person making the statement rather than the words themselves.
In short I think his existence is a good sign that people are more open minded than their opponents give them credit for.

Last edited by RDM_83 again; 19-07-2016 at 23:15.
20-07-2016, 09:32   #27
20Cent

He's after getting permbanned from Twitter.
Thanks from:
20-07-2016, 10:09   #28

Posted that about Milo at exactly the wrong time does anybody actually have a neutral source on the twitter stuff? Cos with the quick look just getting guardian/buzzfeedy things or the_Donald spam, neither of which are good for the balanced view.
I'm curious in terms of what he has personally done apart from a catty insult and a bad review because should we judge individuals on the actions of their loosely associated co-travellers ? because if that's the case he is more of a victim having had his meetings disrupted and been physically threatened in person (by BLM activists) e.g if we're going to take this line of reasoning that there is responsibility for fellow travellers actions then while he definitely isn't a nice man he is less dangerous than his adversaries.
20-07-2016, 10:50   #29
baby and crumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDM_83 again View Post
What happens in these conversations is that we get a statements like above about "white men" crying about efforts at equality.
To be fair, I made that comment when this thread was in LGBTQ, and whilst it's made slightly tongue-in-cheek, I do think there's an element of truth to it, or I wouldn't have said it.

Quote:
What this ignores is that if we consider the people that tend to listen to the Alt-Right or the New Reactionaries (is Milo Alt-Right- not actually sure what his views are on stuff apart from feminism and free speech), is that a comparison is made between either older white men and the general population or alternatively between younger white men and minorities, the comparison is not made between younger white men and their equivalent of the opposite gender.
Fair enough point.

Quote:

This idea that males are privileged doesn't apply in the modern world and those that have grown up in it. You shouldn't compare a young guy to a guy in his 50-60's because they have grown up under completely different conditions yet its always done because the idea of male privilege is so central to many of these ideologies and its an easy socially acceptable target.
I really have to challenge you on this. I agree that comparisons between older and younger generations aren't ideal, however there definitely is an element of younger white males (in my opinion) being frustrated by minorities and women having access to the opportunities their fathers and grandfathers had. I don't see another compelling reason for all the hate on equality programmes, who are not actually taking away anything from non-minority individuals, just who are improving equality of access to minorities. I certainly agree that giving a minority individual a job over a non minority candidate regardless of qualifications is wrong. But for many years, there was a systemic racism which disqualified millions of minorities, and women from even attempting to get the qualifications needed to compete with white men who had those opportunities. I certainty don't feel threatened by equality programmes or by a minority applicant for the same job as me. If I am the right person for the job, I'll get it. Now, obviously if someone with less ability or education was given the post simply because of the colour of their skin then that's wrong- regardless of which colour in this instance is seen as the "right" one. For years that "right" one was white. That's just as wrong.

Quote:
Also the language used is indicative of the attitudes behind it: Getting a taste of their own medicine a lot of progressive/SJW attitudes aren't built on equalizing they are built on the idea of punishment of the sins of their forefathers in general (and on the personal level whatever person bullied them at some stage)
Again, I made those comments when this thread was in LGBTQ and that was certainty said tongue in cheek. I do stand by the sentiment though, which reflects back the attitude I mention above, the aggression and the confusion, frankly, that a lot of young white men have that their path in life is not as easy as it was for their father or whatever. Everyone wants to blame somebody. It's not right but it's human nature.

Quote:
Why in a country like the UK are poor white males the worst educational performers then? if its due what you state they should be performing equally to other minorities they aren't though and their is a stark gender divide.
If your answer relates to a culture/attitude among young poorer white British males remember that this answer can also be brought to bear on criminality among Black Males and the "wage gap" among women.
Again, I'm no expert but I'd hazard a guess that it's again something to do with the anger that white men are no longer "on top"- so why bother trying if all these nasty equality programmes are going to give the jobs to minorities? I can't back that up with research though.

Quote:
Socially he's an interesting item, here is a gay guy thats adored by those that are apparently reactionary phobic people, he also uses his sexual identity as an armor against those that tend to invalidate opinions/arguments by focusing on the identity of the person making the statement rather than the words themselves.
I don't really care what his sexuality is. I suppose to me it is confusing that a gay man, who presumably should have some knowledge of the necessity of equality in all aspects of life, would harbour views which is against that. I also really dislike when anyone uses a "card"- as in "I can't be homophobic, I'm gay" or "I can't be racist, I'm Asian" or whatever it is. It's rubbish. I'm gay, and I'm certainly homophobic at times. I'm certainly sexist at times. I'm certainly racist at times. But I don't want inequality either.
(2) thanks from:
20-07-2016, 11:48   #30
bonyn

I know twitter is free to do as they like on their platform, but censorship because of differing views is appalling

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion