Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tesla Model S

Options
  • 11-03-2016 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭

So I took the Tesla Model S for a drive yesterday. Such an amazing car! It really is at the pinnacle of car technology and is gorgeous looking in the flesh.
    It drives very well for a car that weighs 2.2 tonnes as the batteries are mounted low in the chassis. The steering has great weight and the feel can be adjusted to suit the driver. The power delivery is unlike any car I’ve ever driven, with an ICE you can be waiting for the engine to hit the “sweet spot”, the powertrain on this car is always there with the torque arriving instantaneously to shove you back in the seat. There’s a satisfying Sci-Fi like whine from the motors when you floor it. Very moreish! This is the 70D version which has 330bhp and a 0-60 time of 5.2 seconds.
    The interior is really impressive. There’s a huge iPad like display in the centre console as well as a display where analogue dials are usually found. The seats are very supportive and have lots of adjustability.
    The self-drive feature is unbelievable; the car drove itself for 7 km’s before I took over coming to traffic lights. It’s such a weird feeling.
    I would absolutely love one of these but @ 100,000e it’s going to take a long time!

10688218_480570632140042_4382278940196986203_o_zpsvdx8orw4.jpg
    12841448_480570528806719_929911829779569488_o_zpsv29pbju7.jpg
    11011469_480570862140019_6253074656794451100_o_zpsu7siifpj.jpg
    11242794_480570735473365_4539377388642231258_o_zps65ehfivp.jpg
    12841457_480570785473360_8002545595213123966_o_zpseowmr0rq.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

This car is my dream, the Leaf is just not the same!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭nokia69

toadfly wrote: »
    This car is my dream, the Leaf is just not the same!

As far I can see it only has two down sides, its too big IMO, and too expensive

The model 3 will be far better IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Realistically what would be the total range possible?

bear1 wrote: »
    Realistically what would be the total range possible?

All depends on which battery you have and how fast you drive, the 60Kwh battery might get close to 200 miles, but they no longer sell that version

The 90D would get 270 miles, and the 100Kwh battery which is on the way should be good for 300 miles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

I never liked the look of that massive display they put in it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

There's one driving around Belfast and I'm very jealous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Where's mad lad??

Agggh shes a great looking car, I'd love one .

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    I love them but can you explain this? Its a car filled with laptop batteries and a few electric motors. It couldn't be any less of pinnacle of car technology if it tried. Car manufacturers were doing this in the 1890's albeit not to the same comfort levels!

The new Bugatti Chiron is the pinnacle of car tech. Its engine is out of this world.

http://jalopnik.com/the-incredible-tech-in-the-new-bugatti-chiron-the-worl-1761998342

Just 1 electric motor I think. Its a pity they discontinued the roadster, that seemed like a more minimalist and fun car. Touch screens, self drive and a plush interior are a bit boring. I suppose "the market" demands gadgets and there's only a limited amount of people looking to buy a sports car

I love them but can you explain this? Its a car filled with laptop batteries and a few electric motors. It couldn't be any less of pinnacle of car technology if it tried. Car manufacturers were doing this in the 1890's albeit not to the same comfort levels!

rubbish, there was nothing like the Model S back in the 1890s

Just 1 electric motor I think. Its a pity they discontinued the roadster, that seemed like a more minimalist and fun car. Touch screens, self drive and a plush interior are a bit boring. I suppose "the market" demands gadgets and there's only a limited amount of people looking to buy a sports car

There is next gen Roadster in the works, will have crazy performance and a 4 or 500 mile range

• Advertisement

nokia69 wrote: »
    rubbish, there was nothing like the Model S back in the 1890s

There was some electric car in the 1890's but it was square and boxy and not very fast. It did have longer-lasting batteries though, I think they started one of them a few years back and the 100+ year old batteries still worked. Its a pity all the research has gone on improving lithium batteries which nearly always seem to be limited to about 1,000 cycles (2,000 for lithium phosphate)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

The new Bugatti Chiron is the pinnacle of car tech. Its engine is out of this world.

http://jalopnik.com/the-incredible-tech-in-the-new-bugatti-chiron-the-worl-1761998342

The car updates itself over the air. New features are added throughout the life of the car for free.
    Autopilot: the car can literally drive itself. The ECU manages inputs from cameras, GPS and radar and outputs functions to the steering, accelerator and brakes.
    Summon: The car can park itself in tight spots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Bugatti Chiron is saudi-chav to the max no matter what engine you put in it though. There's houses in rathkeale with more class than it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

Quick video of the Tesla parking with nobody behind the wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭jsd1004

As far I can see it only has two down sides, its too big IMO, and too expensive

The model 3 will be far better IMO

What is not to like about these. M5 beating performance without the bills. No clutches, dpfs, oil, filters,plugs, smelly clattery diesel. Skip the environmental credentials these are serious performance cars. As a petrol head I fear for the future of ICE. On a side note there is a youtube vid of an I3 whipping a M4 off the line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Teslas spooked the feck outta me a few times in the states, bad enough looking the wrong way before crossing without these silent yokes coming round a corner.

Maybe they could have some external speakers with a simulated dumper truck sound to ease people here into the whole thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭jsd1004

Teslas spooked the feck outta me a few times in the states, bad enough looking the wrong way before crossing without these silent yokes coming round a corner.

Maybe they could have some external speakers with a simulated dumper truck sound to ease people here into the whole thing?

I think cyclists should have the same.

Learn some motoring history then come back to us

go on then give me a list of electric cars from 1890 that had a 250+ mile range and did 0 to 60 in under 3 seconds

I won't hold my breath

• Registered Users Posts: 33,613 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Learn some motoring history then come back to us

Tbh your being burned on this one. To claim the technology in the Tesla isn't stand out is just plain silly.

jsd1004 wrote: »
    What is not to like about these. M5 beating performance without the bills. No clutches, dpfs, oil, filters,plugs, smelly clattery diesel. Skip the environmental credentials these are serious performance cars. As a petrol head I fear for the future of ICE. On a side note there is a youtube vid of an I3 whipping a M4 off the line.

I do like the car, there can't be many bigger Tesla fans than me, I have been watching them from day one, I remember downloading videos of the T-Zero on a 56K modem

The Model S/X are great cars but they are on the large side for me, the Model 3 would suit me better, and of course the price will be better too

Don't fear for the future of ICE, it will be around for a while yet, it will of course end up as a minority interest, a bit like steam engines and horses

• Advertisement

Cars have been the same since 1890 LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

listermint wrote: »
    Tbh your being burned on this one. To claim the technology in the Tesla isn't stand out is just plain silly.

I don't think he claimed that. It's old ideas being reinvented. Electric cars were pretty successful until the ear 1920s

I for one fully approve of this after being in one of the Tesla Taxis in Amsterdam. They're awesome

Dont agree:

The car updates itself over the air. New features are added throughout the life of the car for free

Over the air is nothing really amazing. Plenty of devices do it. May be new for cars but its not exactly earth shattering. You can get an ECU update for a regular car if you really wanted.

Autopilot: the car can literally drive itself. The ECU manages inputs from cameras, GPS and radar and outputs functions to the steering, accelerator and brakes.

If I recall Tesla specifically states not to let the car drive full automated.Lane departure+Radar controller cruise control is nothing new. Mates car has it albeit not to the same level.

Summon: The car can park itself in tight spots -

You can get that on Hyundai

For the record I am big fan of them and I would love one myself but I dislike the massive circlejerk people have over it.

Did I post any of that ?

Am I circle jerking ?

I am mocking your claim that there isn't stand out technology in the Tesla and making an incredible claim comparing it to the 1890s

What circle jerk is there in that?

You are making a show of yourself here as you may have a distaste for evs.

It's like an anti EV circle jerk.

Lol

ba_barabus wrote: »
    I don't think he claimed that. It's old ideas being reinvented. Electric cars were pretty successful until the ear 1920s

I for one fully approve of this after being in one of the Tesla Taxis in Amsterdam. They're awesome

I read what he wrote then I read it again to make sure it sounded as stupid the second time as it did the first time.

Cars have been the same since 1890 LOL

The basic elements have been the same. Strip away the ****e stuck to a modern car and you're left with an internal combustion engine or electric power pack just like the earliest of cars.

The real future or futuristic tech is hydrogen power and fuel cells. Now that is new.

The basic elements have been the same. Strip away the ****e stuck to a modern car and you're left with an internal combustion engine or electric power pack just like the earliest of cars.

Sure we should stop making improvements in cars then feck it. Why bother.

Yup that's exactly what I said. Nice work detective

I though you were leaving the thread :rolleyes:

listermint wrote: »
    Sure we should stop making improvements in cars then feck it. Why bother.

See the part of my post I edited in. The newest untried tech which would be new is hydrogen

you could argue that, but IMO the first true cars as we know them emerged around the time of the model T, most efforts before that were horseless carriages, it took a while for the designers to think beyond the horse

The real future or futuristic tech is hydrogen power and fuel cells. Now that is new.

Nope fool cells are a scam, nothing more, you need to dig a little deeper

• Advertisement

Nope fool cells are a scam, nothing more, you need to dig a little deeper
    I have abs I fail to see how it's a scam.

A fuel provided by a limited resource such as petrol, diesel or depending how it's generated, electricity sees like a bit of an energy dead end.

As for the rest of the post obviously some kind of tech will win out eventually but if it's brought back in the future it doesn't make it new, it's still old tech. Think betamax if someone found a practical use for it in today's world. It was better than vhs at the time but lost out and faded away. Who knows it might be of use in the future but it'll still be an old idea like electric cars are.

In case anyone thinks I'm anti electric or Tesla I'm not. I think they're amazing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement