Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

06-05-2020, 14:43   #2791
saram

Which PME course if any would you recommend to study to become a qualified primary school teacher if you had a very young family (2 very young kids) to consider too?

Just trying to weigh up options and decide if a PME is for me when I move back home after being abroad for a long time.

Hibernia appears the most flexible but it seems to be less attractive to potential employers.

Last edited by saram; 06-05-2020 at 14:59.
Advertisement
14-05-2020, 21:38   #2792
Treppen

Quote:
Originally Posted by saram View Post
Which PME course if any would you recommend to study to become a qualified primary school teacher if you had a very young family (2 very young kids) to consider too?

Just trying to weigh up options and decide if a PME is for me when I move back home after being abroad for a long time.

Hibernia appears the most flexible but it seems to be less attractive to potential employers.
Who told you that?
Ya sure you'll get some snobby teachers and Principals who'll only consider their own Alma Mater, but if you've done the time then you're no different to any other PME graduate.
(2) thanks from:
15-05-2020, 21:56   #2793
Dickie10

maynooth were very nice and flexible, worth a thought.
12-06-2020, 00:56   #2794
Thumpette

Hiya, have 2 offers on the table from Marino and DCU PME primary. I live in North county Dublin so the two of them work in terms of location. I know the course is intense but I also have a young son so would like some flexibility the odd time it's needed. Any thoughts on which might be better? My gut is saying Marino.

Also we had been planning to have a last go at iVF this year. We've had a number of failed cycles so it's unlikely to work but just trying to plan around it in case it did. If I was due say at Easter next year, would it be possible to do the Easter- summer portion of the year in 2021 and then carry on with year 2 from September or am I better aiming to do IVF at a time that would let me finish the acedemic year if I was to fall pregnant!
21-06-2020, 23:32   #2795
take everything

Hi.
Someone might be able to help me.

I want to do second level teaching.
I have always wanted to teach.
So I want to apply for a PME.

However my situation is complicated and if anyone could set me straight, I would be very grateful.

I have a pass undergraduate degree (Medicine) from years back.

I am currently finished second year in another undergraduate course that has pretty much all the modules covered for the two subjects I would like to teach (Maths and Physics).

If I was to not continue this course and apply for a PME course now, I would not have third year (but the modules I have done up to now should be the equivalent of the 10% component of third year modules that you need).

I know the requirements of the teaching council are:
1. Undergraduate degree and
2. Sufficient relevant modules for subjects you want to teach.

My questions are:

Can you combine an undergraduate degree in Medicine with sufficient two years worth of modules from the undergraduate course I am doing now to satisfy teaching council requirements.

The undergraduate degree:
Does the undergraduate degree have to be a 2:1 or will a pass suffice (my undergraduate degree is a pass). I would find it hard to accept that this would bar me from teaching but I want to make sure. Incidentally I have Masters in a science subject as well and if that changes anything.

The modules:
If modules from 2 years of my current course cover the teaching council requirements (from looking at their website), will this be ok to teach these subjects if I combine this with the undergraduate degree above.

Are there significant differences between the various PMEs.
I am looking at Trinity, Hibernia and UL.
Are there any you would not recommend at all.

I notice Hibernia is not listed as one of the PME courses on the teaching council website.
Is Hibernia not as recognised as the other PME courses. Is it mostly online and if so is this an issue.

Apologies for all the questions.
I'm mainly interested in settling the first question (combining separate undergrad degree with relevant modules from current unfinished course).

Appreciate any help.
Advertisement
21-06-2020, 23:37   #2796
jrmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by take everything View Post
I notice Hibernia is not listed as one of the PME courses on the teaching council website.
Is Hibernia not as recognised as the other PME courses. Is it mostly online and if so is this an issue.
Hibernia is no less accredited than any other PME provider. It could be a mistake, or you could be researching registration in a subject which Hibernia doesn't have.

Quote:
If I was to not continue this course and apply for a PME course now, I would not have third year (but the modules I have done up to now should be the equivalent of the 10% component of third year modules that you need).
For my subjects, it's necessary to have 60 relevant ECTS credits, including at least 15 from third year or higher. That seems to be the general rule.

You should be able to count the ECTS credits at master's level, if they're relevant and if the module title is prescriptive enough. If you did well in the master's, your class of primary degree shouldn't be a barrier.

Last edited by jrmb; 21-06-2020 at 23:41.
Thanks from:
21-06-2020, 23:47   #2797
take everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmb View Post
Hibernia is no less accredited than any other PME provider. It could be a mistake, or you could be researching registration in a subject which Hibernia doesn't have.

For my subjects, it's necessary to have 60 relevant ECTS credits, including at least 15 from third year or higher. That seems to be the general rule.

You should be able to count the ECTS credits at master's level, if they're relevant and if the module title is prescriptive enough. If you did well in the master's, your class of primary degree shouldn't be a barrier.
On the teaching council website for maths for example, it says a small percentage (10% IIRC) of modules from third year or modules equivalent to this.

The "modules equivalent to this" would apply in my case from what I have done already in two years in my course.
21-06-2020, 23:55   #2798
jrmb

Quote:
On the teaching council website for maths for example, it says a small percentage (10% IIRC) of modules from third year or modules equivalent to this.

The "modules equivalent to this" would apply in my case from what I have done already in two years in my course.
I've never seen that before. Is it 10% of modules or 10% of credits? Do you mean 10 credits?
21-06-2020, 23:57   #2799
take everything

Quote:
I've never seen that before. Is it 10% of modules or 10% of credits? Do you mean 10 credits?
Credits sorry
Advertisement
21-06-2020, 23:59   #2800
mtoutlemonde

Quote:

My two cents. If it were me, I would finish off that undergrad - it will save you a lot of hassle with the teaching council and explaining at interviews. As you have a degree already, I would try to register under section 3 for adult education - that would let you know what you can register for, if anything. You can get your qualifications assessed by the Teaching Council for a fee. Registering would also give you the opportunity to do some subbing to make sure that you really want to teach.

Masters don't count (or didn't) to the Teaching Council as it is a specific study whereas a degree is multidisciplinary.

Best of luck.
Thanks from:
22-06-2020, 00:02   #2801
jrmb

Quote:
They seem to mean that it has to be studied at the more advanced end of your undergraduate studies (i.e. not first or second year). If you don't have the 10 ECTS credits from your third year, but you have them from your master's, you should be able to count them.

Interestingly, the modules only need to have been passed, even if that was by compensation. This means that a pass degree doesn't disqualify you, unless it's an entry requirement for a particular college.
22-06-2020, 00:06   #2802
jrmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtoutlemonde View Post
Masters don't count (or didn't) to the Teaching Council as it is a specific study whereas a degree is multidisciplinary.
I'm curious about this for my own future studies. Surely if I had a language to degree level and then a linguistics master's including that language and its literature, I should be able to count relevant master's modules for registration.
22-06-2020, 00:20   #2803
take everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtoutlemonde View Post
My two cents. If it were me, I would finish off that undergrad - it will save you a lot of hassle with the teaching council and explaining at interviews. As you have a degree already, I would try to register under section 3 for adult education - that would let you know what you can register for, if anything. You can get your qualifications assessed by the Teaching Council for a fee. Registering would also give you the opportunity to do some subbing to make sure that you really want to teach.

Best of luck.
Tbh, I wouldn't be able to afford finishing the undergrad and then doing a PME on top of that.
That would be four years of fees which would be too much for me.

Quote:
As you have a degree already, I would try to register under section 3 for adult education - that would let you know what you can register for, if anything. You can get your qualifications assessed by the Teaching Council for a fee. Registering would also give you the opportunity to do some subbing to make sure that you really want to teach.
Sorry for being thick but I don't know what you mean by this. Registering with the Teaching Council you mean?
Under section 3 for adult education. What is this.

The assessment of qualifications is what I need to do. Who do I need to talk to about this.

And how does registering allow you to sub.

Sorry for my confusion.
22-06-2020, 00:35   #2804
mtoutlemonde

Quote:
I'm curious about this for my own future studies. Surely if I had a language to degree level and then a linguistics master's including that language and its literature, I should be able to count relevant master's modules for registration.
I had a friend who had a masters and could not register. Had to complete some assignments from undergraduate studies. I enquired when the Teaching Council when they came to college one day. They want a teacher to have a varied not specific study which a master's is. It may have changed but I doubt it.
Thanks from:
22-06-2020, 00:44   #2805
mtoutlemonde

Quote:
Tbh, I wouldn't be able to afford finishing the undergrad and then doing a PME on top of that.
That would be four years of fees which would be too much for me.

Sorry for being thick but I don't know what you mean by this. Registering with the Teaching Council you mean?
Under section 3 for adult education. What is this.

The assessment of qualifications is what I need to do. Who do I need to talk to about this.

And how does registering allow you to sub.

Sorry for my confusion.
Yes that would be expensive alright.

There are three (maybe four) categories which you can register as a teacher, primary, post-primary and adult education.

Registering for adult education will allow you to get a Teaching Council number which you will need in order to paid from government funds.

Registering under adult education allows anyone with a degree to register. It was initially set up for tutors delivering courses in what were VECs (now ETB) where a teaching qualification was not required or could not be achieved e.g. plumbing etc.

Contact the Teaching Council re assessment of qualifications. It's €200 per subject and €100 for additional subjects. It can take a few months for this to be completed.

If you were registered, you could register as a sub on educationposts and drop CVs into schools in your area to let them know you are available for substitute work.

Hope that clears it up. Ask again if not sure about something.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion