Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

So you are too old/fat/unfit/ *delete as appropriate* to play?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Mr Jinx

Im 30 years old, havent played football since I was at school. Looking to get back playing, even just training with a team to see how I get on. I'm on the north side of Dublin, any ideas where I could start ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Alaska1

Mr Jinx wrote: »
    Im 30 years old, havent played football since I was at school. Looking to get back playing, even just training with a team to see how I get on. I'm on the north side of Dublin, any ideas where I could start ?

What part of the Northside are you ?

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Mr Jinx

Alaska1 wrote: »
    What part of the Northside are you ?

Drumcondra/Glasnevin

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 128 ✭✭TomKat

Same here, haven't played since school. In that area too.... Na Fianna looking for ridiculous prices for membership. A postgrad student here by the way

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

TomKat wrote: »
    Same here, haven't played since school. In that area too.... Na Fianna looking for ridiculous prices for membership. A postgrad student here by the way

Out of interest what embership price are they looking for?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 128 ✭✭TomKat

Peace wrote: »
    Out of interest what embership price are they looking for?

I think it was 120 quid for students. 200 otherwise. That's a week's rent for me not a hope! Thought half that would nearly be too much!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

It's €40 in Co Clare

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

My contribution to this thread...

Old, fat and unfit ? - prob the first and last.:D There's certainly a belly there tho :o

However, last month I went back playing hurling after more than a decade putting it off 'til next season'. The local team put out an SOS due to a dwindling stock of players and I took the plunge. I'm after two training sessions and a full match. Jaysus lads, am I unfit. The touch never really goes, particularly if like me, you'd always be pucking a balls around for the dog and stuff. But the fitness - a killer! If you puck the ball within arms reach of me I'm grand but if I have to run...forget it! :eek::p

Jokes aside tho. There are plenty of clubs out there under pressure for bodies due to emigration and the like. If like me you have always been saying I'll go back next year, don't put it off. We all know someone who plays for a local club so just mention it. You'll be long enough actually being too old to play so do it now while the legs, arms, back, knees, etc. etc. still have a few miles in them.

Oh and when I did turn up for training the first night and everyone introduced themselves, there were two guys 15 years older than me. We're probably junior Z at the mo...but we'll get to junior C standard by August! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

Im from Crossmaglen so unless you're absolutely brilliant playing football is a bit of a no-starter. They tend to take it very seriously and I'd just be looking a bit of craic. I actually prefer hurling, used to play it in Uni but fat chance of getting a team down this neck of the country

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

Decent handball scene at least

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Br4tPr1nc3

how ya doin lads.
    im livin on the northside, in artane.
    I was wonderin if ya can suggest a club.

im quite unfit, and haven't played since i was about 10, so wouldnt be lookin for a high skilled team.

ive been lookin at the zip file, but finding it hard to make sense of half the websites.

whats the best way to go about it also?

thanks in advance for any help that can be given.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭SJPK

how ye lads,
    in much the same boat as Br4tPr1nc3 there in the post before me except i'm in around galway city, any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.
    sound!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Here's a suggestion lads. Look at the local paper or contact your county board to find out what clubs have a team in the bottom 2 disivions. Call to the grounds any evening around 8.15pm and get the name and no of the junior manager. Then take it from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 dubliner24

I'm looking to get playing football. I'm 23, never played GAA before but I'd love to make a start. Am I right in saying I'm looking for a club that has a team in AFL11 or AFL12? No point in even trying for a team in AFL5:D

• Registered Users Posts: 30 dubliner24

Br4tPr1nc3 did you have any luck?? I'm in the Raheny area - looking to join up somewhere beginner friendly too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Br4tPr1nc3

no not yet, sorry, havent had the chance to make it to the club.
    but my cousin plays for craobh chiarain, and was sayin they have a junior team.

I asked her to get a name for me, so i can ask around, and see what the situation is. ill let you know when i find out mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭The man in red and black

Hi all,

Unfortunately Réalt Dearg were recently beaten in the county semi final of the Junior D championship halting our progress up the ranks. However we still remain in contention for the league final and with it promotion to AHL6 for next year.

Essentially Réalt Dearg is a club set up by players, for players. That sounds cliché but we really are run by the players. We currently field two adult Junior teams in League, Cup and Championship. A problem we face in the future is that as the players age and retire we may run out of players as our plans for underage teams are some way down the road yet. We're not here to poach anyones players, we offer a route into hurling for people who haven't hurled for a while due to work, travel etc or for people who can no longer afford to be going home to play while working in Dublin.

Our aim is to keep the club progressing up the divisions, right up to senior long term. To do this we will need an underage set up and this is something we are working on. However for now we to get more adult players involved. If you think you would enjoy junior hurling in Dublin or are just looking to try out hurling next Spring then please contact us and we'll stay in touch over the winter to let you know when we start back.

I appreciate this is very early to advertise for next season but even if you haven't hurled since U-16 you'd need a transfer form so we'd like to sort them out over the winter months so you're ready to go for the cup competitions in February. To contact us please email realtdearg.hurlingclub@gmail.com or visit www.realtdearg.ie and text/call one of the committee. Thanks for your support.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 murphs53

Hi all,

I'll be be moving back to Dublin in the next few weeks and am looking to get back into football preferably, though would be open to hurling.

I might only be back in the country for a few months, but would like to get back into things. I've not played much in the last few years, though have recently started back with football in a local GAA team abroad.

Given the time of year it is with club season, does anyone know any clubs in the Dublin area that you could suggest for people who are very rusty but just want to get back out and play a bit again?

Cheers

Sounds like you'd be a good fit with Réalt Dearg hurling club. Depends where abouts you are in Dublin but if you were on the southside it'd be handy enough for you and we always maintain a team that lads who are rusty can start back with. As we are hurling only you'd be able to play football with one of the football only clubs up the road too. Go to www.realtdearg.ie and email,text,phone one of the lads on the committee section. The more the merrier

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

They'll never get as good a chance again, and just hope Kilkenny haven't learned to much from the first game, and up the west **** the rest.. Did you see the rosies who the b under 21 yesterday too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 BertMark

Hi everyone,

Im 26 and have never played hurling more than pucking it about with friends. However I've always wanted to play on a team and I'm looking for a new sport to take up so, even though I suspect it's not feasible, I'd love to give hurling a go.
    When I was younger I had some skill with the sliotar but nothing to write home about and by now I'd probably be at the level of someone ocming to Ireland and picking up a hurl for the first time.

Is there any hope for me? Do they even have leagues with a beginner level?

I've checked out Realt Dearg but sadly Im in Dublin 5 so it just isn't feasible. Are there any other teams that I might find a spot on? (After a few months work at it, obviously!)

BertMark wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

Im 26 and have never played hurling more than pucking it about with friends. However I've always wanted to play on a team and I'm looking for a new sport to take up so, even though I suspect it's not feasible, I'd love to give hurling a go.
    When I was younger I had some skill with the sliotar but nothing to write home about and by now I'd probably be at the level of someone ocming to Ireland and picking up a hurl for the first time.

Is there any hope for me? Do they even have leagues with a beginner level?

I've checked out Realt Dearg but sadly Im in Dublin 5 so it just isn't feasible. Are there any other teams that I might find a spot on? (After a few months work at it, obviously!)

If you're in Dublin 5 then I think Raheny are closest, they just beat us in the Junior D semi final so would have a Junior team for you to work into. Website is http://www.raheny.gaa.ie/teams/hurling

Alternatively Clontarf wouldn't be too far away, they have a team in Junior F so may be an even better starting point for someone that's been out of the game a while. http://www.clontarfgaa.com/

Best of luck with it anyway, you'd be amazed how quickly you'd get back into it. I used to think that it was too late to start/go back as an adult but after seeing some of the lads in our club it really is amazing!

If you're in Dublin 5 then I think Raheny are closest, they just beat us in the Junior D semi final so would have a Junior team for you to work into. Website is http://www.raheny.gaa.ie/teams/hurling

Alternatively Clontarf wouldn't be too far away, they have a team in Junior F so may be an even better starting point for someone that's been out of the game a while. http://www.clontarfgaa.com/

Best of luck with it anyway, you'd be amazed how quickly you'd get back into it. I used to think that it was too late to start/go back as an adult but after seeing some of the lads in our club it really is amazing!

Thanks very much for that.
    What sort of standard is junior F? Would most of the lads have been playing since school?

When I say get back into it, I never played for a team. Just pucking it about a bit and wanting to be on a team but living in an area of Dublin where hurling wasn't even an afterthought! I'd essentially be a total novice if I went down.

BertMark wrote: »
    Thanks very much for that.
    What sort of standard is junior F? Would most of the lads have been playing since school?

When I say get back into it, I never played for a team. Just pucking it about a bit and wanting to be on a team but living in an area of Dublin where hurling wasn't even an afterthought! I'd essentially be a total novice if I went down.

What I've found as we've come up from Junior F to Junior D is that in every division you have 1-2 teams that are good junior teams that could play higher up the grades, 3-4 teams that are solid junior teams, and generally a couple that don't train at all that will ship some big scores. Roughly speaking of course!

We had a guy playing for our A team this year who only started hurling in 2010! We have plenty of lads on our B team who never hurled before too! We have a Canadian and a German playing. Think it was Civil Service who had a guy from Argentina and I can't remember who we were playing when the corner forward was a very fast Chinese guy. There's plenty of room to take up hurling now, just give it a go and get into the training as much as time allows. Contact your local clubs, there's probably more than Clontarf/Raheny with junior teams in your area, and see which one is most welcoming and go see what it's like

What I've found as we've come up from Junior F to Junior D is that in every division you have 1-2 teams that are good junior teams that could play higher up the grades, 3-4 teams that are solid junior teams, and generally a couple that don't train at all that will ship some big scores. Roughly speaking of course!

We had a guy playing for our A team this year who only started hurling in 2010! We have plenty of lads on our B team who never hurled before too! We have a Canadian and a German playing. Think it was Civil Service who had a guy from Argentina and I can't remember who we were playing when the corner forward was a very fast Chinese guy. There's plenty of room to take up hurling now, just give it a go and get into the training as much as time allows. Contact your local clubs, there's probably more than Clontarf/Raheny with junior teams in your area, and see which one is most welcoming and go see what it's like

I take a lot of heart from the fact that people not from Ireland were able to pick it up, give me some hope I guess :D
    How long did it take the those guys to get to a standard where they could be competitive in games?

Cheers for the advice anyway, I really appreciate it. I'll definitely give it a go. I had a look online and Naomh Barrog (who are a 5-10 min walk from my front door) also have a team in the Junior F so I can see which is better suited/welcoming to my level of ability.
    Very lucky to get 2 clubs so close to me with Junior F teams I suppose!

When will clubs most likely be starting pre-season for next year?

It depends on how much time you can give to training, obviously the lads who were able to train twice a week were showing the greatest improvements and were able to to get stuck in after a few weeks/months of pre-season. Most clubs will probably start some light training in February as the cup competitions start then. They're really considered a friendly competition but it's useful to get matches so early in the year. Each club is different, some clubs may not start training hard until championship starts in March/April. Depends how well the players wintered :p

It depends on how much time you can give to training, obviously the lads who were able to train twice a week were showing the greatest improvements and were able to to get stuck in after a few weeks/months of pre-season. Most clubs will probably start some light training in February as the cup competitions start then. They're really considered a friendly competition but it's useful to get matches so early in the year. Each club is different, some clubs may not start training hard until championship starts in March/April. Depends how well the players wintered :p

Great stuff. I'll keep pucking it around until then with more of a focus on what I'm doing than usual rather than just lashing it around.
    Thanks for all the help!

One last question (apologies!)- I currently have an elverys torpey hurley, which I know is a poor piece of kit but is fine for pucking it around. But would I be better served getting a decent one from a proper hurley maker and practising with that over the winter?
    I was told a lighter one is easier to use when controlling the sliotar etc, and that's an area I'd need to drastically improve if I was to stand any chance in Feb/March.
    Not sure on what constitutes a light hurley but the one I have now is heavy enough that I don't have accurate control of it when I'm at full stretch/have it above my head.

It's hard to advise someone else on a hurl but if you think it feels uncomfortably heavy it's probably best to consider something lighter. If it's only for pucking around with over the winter and you want to keep costs down the hurls in lidl aren't actually bad, have a good root around in them though as they can be hit and miss similar to the Torpey hurls. A lighter hurl may suit you better as you hope to get your first touch settled.

It's hard to advise someone else on a hurl but if you think it feels uncomfortably heavy it's probably best to consider something lighter. If it's only for pucking around with over the winter and you want to keep costs down the hurls in lidl aren't actually bad, have a good root around in them though as they can be hit and miss similar to the Torpey hurls. A lighter hurl may suit you better as you hope to get your first touch settled.

Thanks very much, for all the answers. I appreciate you taking the time. Just sorry Im on the wrong side of the city for Realt Dearg! I'd be down in a flash with an attitude that helpful and welcoming. Best of luck with it all, great idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Gael85

Gael85 wrote: »
    St James Gaels 2012
    Club Name:St James Gaels
    Location:Iveagh Grounds,Crumlin Rd,Dublin12.Areas recruit from:Walkinstown,Drimnagh,Crumlin,Kimmage,Harold Cross,The Liberties
    Code (football): Gaelic Football
    Level played:Junior A,Junior C,Minor,U16,U14,U12,U10,U8
    Contact details:stjamesgaels.com or axelf82@hotmail.com
    Any other info: St James Gaels will commence pre season training for next season in January and we are inviting new members(playing and non playing) to join our club.We have 2 progressing adult men football teams, a Junior A team and Junior C team. We are based southside in Iveagh Grounds on Crumlin Road about 15-20 minutes from city centre. 27,56,56a,77a,151 buses pass the pitch,17,18,121,122,123,150 buses go near the pitch as well.
    We have excellent floodlight training facilities,astro pitch training pitch and floodlite pitch.

Both Junior teams had a decent season in 2011 and will be looking to progress a step further next year,first team just missed out on promotion and got to semi final of junior championship and second team lost out in promotion playoff game.

We will be starting training on 9th January and train every monday and wednesday nights in Iveagh Grounds Crumlin Road at 7.30pm,we have a mix of players from all over the country Kerry, Laois,Cork,Mayo,Galway,Clare,Donegal ,Sligo,Down and even a couple of Austrailians.We also enjoy and organise many social events/fundraisers throughout the year(including end of season trip) so all welcome to train or play.For more info please contact me @axelf82@hotmail.com

http://www.stjamesgaels.com/

St James Gaels Junior C team still looking for new players,must be able to train at least once a week, training Mon&Wed nights and playing challenge games up to end of November and then back training first week in January.
    any more info email Aidan axelf82@hotmail.com

Advertisement