Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

25-07-2007, 15:29   #1
r3nu4l

Secondhand bookshops, post details here

Since I first joined boards in Jan 06 I've seen a few threads asking about secondhand bookshops so I figure, why not have a thread soley dedicated to secondhan bookshops/market stalls/charity shops located all across Ireland.

Here's the three I know of in Ireland.

Dublin
Chapters - Parnell Street
Don't know the name of it - Corner of College Green/Dame Street/Grafton Street

Tipperary
The Shook Book - The Square, Cahir.

What about you? Know of any you can list here?
Advertisement
25-07-2007, 16:48   #2

There is a little secondhand bookshop on Talbot Street. I think they also have secondhand academic books for all levels, so quite good.
25-07-2007, 21:26   #3
uncle ernie

letterkenny: Universal Books at the bottom of the main st.

Dunlaoire: Readers on the main st.

Dublin: The Secret Book & Record Shop on Wicklow street
Thanks from:
25-07-2007, 21:46   #4

Dalkey: The Exchange, Castle Street
Sandycove: Eamonn's Bookshop - Sandycove Village
25-07-2007, 21:47   #5

Waterford City - The Book Stop, The Quay
Advertisement
26-07-2007, 11:02   #6
Tar.Aldarion
/flails limbs

Galway
http://www.charliebyrne.com/
Few more but can't remember names.
Thanks from:
29-07-2007, 14:03   #7
hupyago

galway : the bell book and candle outside of the city centre
sligo: the bookmart on the mall
30-07-2007, 15:48   #8
nesf

Cork: Vibes and Scribes on Bridge St (just up the hill from Patrick's Bridge). Always worth popping into for a quick look. Sometimes you can find very interesting stuff in there. They've two new shops on Lavitt's Quay (I think that's the name of it, it's just down along the quay from the Opera house anyway at the "back" of Paul St). They're mostly for new stuff or art stuff though. Second hand stuff is downstairs in the Bridge St. shop.
30-07-2007, 17:15   #9

Dublin : Rathmines Books

Last edited by LoLth; 08-08-2007 at 07:12.
Advertisement
01-08-2007, 00:41   #10

Rathmines is crawling with them. My favourite is a couple of doors up from the old Stella cinema; you have to go upstairs to get to it.

In Wicklow Street, off Grafton Street, there's a great one called The Secret Book and Record Store. You go along a long twisty Alice-in-Wonderland passage to get to it.
17-08-2007, 12:18   #11

Second Hand Book Shops.

Cork : VIbes and Scribes. What a selection. They take all books that they think will sell and I got a copy of "Ghost Plane" for a lot less than it's retailed to sell at. It was originally 18euro and they bought it back for 2euro and sold it for 6euro.
The Lavitt's Quay branch only do new sales and they re-direct you to Bridge Street if you try to sell them books.

Connolly's bookstore. They're next to Tesco on Paul Street and have a great selection of everything from English Literature to Languages at great prices and they buy aswell if the title will re-sell. I got "Accidental Diplomat" from them ( and lost it somewhere ). Great read, the few pages I did get to finish. Quaint shop run by a husband and wife.

Uneeda: A shop that sells books, DVD's, CD's and old records, this place has shelves of old and newer titles. The easy reading and sci-fi titles stick out but there's something for everyone. Located on the Grand Parade end of Oliver Plunkett Street.

Liam Russell's Bookshop: This shop is green and stand out further down Oliver Plunkett Street by Centra and the bargains are to be found upstairs. You will find a lot of school/college books here but it's to be expected.

Mainly Murder : This place is located heading towards the Crawford Gallery from Tesco's and I've never been in but it does exaclty what it says on the sign.

University College Cork: They have a book shop by the Bank of Ireland in the Student Centre. College Books, naturally!

You'll also find a shop in the arcade next to Burger King on Patrick's Street. Head to the end where you'll find the entrance into the English Market and the shop is on your left as you go in. Well worth a browse.

Youghal: Head along the street towards the tower that goes over the street and there's a second hand shop on the left. I only went in once but I could still be there today there were so many good books.

Cork City Library : Go in the door to the downstairs section and there's a wheelbarrow on the right. This is a great idea where you can leave any books you don't want and if you see something you like, you can take it away. I got some great books in there. You can also join the library for free books.

I have ten books waititng to be read. I got Tim Moore's "Nul Points" where he goes looking for all the people who got no points in the Eurovision to see what they've made of themselves. Very good. I'm trying to read a book called "Master Sniper" that I found in the Library barrow.

Johmo.
Thanks from:
24-08-2007, 15:34   #12

Navan: Bookwise, Metges Lane
This is beside the cinema, only upstairs are second hand and its quite small but its the only place in the town that sells them as far as I know
24-08-2007, 17:41   #13
johnnyskeleton
Moderate

Dublin: Greens of Clare street (between nassau st and merrion square opposite the pav in trinity) sell really old hard back books for peanuts. Only thing is, you never know what you're going to get. A lot of their books are crazy (e.g. a 100 year old collection of Goethe in german gothic script for €20)

The winding stair was great for a coffee and a quick read, but I think that it's been refurbished and is more of a fancy resteraunt now and the bookshop part is just for show.
Thanks from:
20-10-2007, 13:17   #14
regob

the only one i no is a little place called the bookshop which is in carndonagh town centre Co. Donegal
22-10-2007, 12:29   #15

- Chapters on Parnell Street
- Small shop further along on Parnell street, past the UGC cinenma, just before you get to Capel Street
- Oxfam bookshops in Phibsboro, Rathmines, Parliament street, South Georges St.
- Secret Book & record Shop
- Small one in the arched laneway in Temple Bar across from the Hapenny Bridge, it's upstairs over a tiny record shop
- Weekends, there's stalls on the square in Temple bar selling second hand books.
- one of these stalls was from a second hand bookshop in Dundrum, up a laneway off the main street, across from the old shopping centre, not sure if it's still there though
- almost all charity shops have a selection of books as well

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion