Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

02-06-2020, 21:01   #451
The Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffid View Post
But how did you find the maths 🀣🀣
Difficult as I use excel for everything and have workbook templates I use all the time. Suppose time will tell.
Advertisement
02-06-2020, 21:35   #452
Nicole2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbowstar View Post
Same as that - I found numerical much harder than last year. Doubt I passed. Best of luck with it!
Sure all we can do now is wait. You too!
02-06-2020, 22:52   #453
plasticheart

Just finished the tests. Found the verbal OK but the numerical was tough for me. I had 3 questions to go on the numerical and 5 mins left so rushed a bit at the end. I'd be very surprised if I passed but it's my first time going for AP so it'll be a learning curve.

Best of luck to everyone!
Thanks from:
02-06-2020, 23:33   #454
Mervyn Skidmore

Done and dusted. Found all 3 tough enough to be honest. I really don't do well doing the PAS exams but have been doing fairly well in my department. I'm hoping to get the AP internally this year, came very close last time.

Interestingly for HEO I had a PAS interview and an internal interview 1 week apart. Failed the PAS one badly and was in the top 5 in my department internally. A head scratcher.
03-06-2020, 00:44   #455
Brera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbowstar View Post
Oh I wish that was all Dublin Board!!
If you progress through this and then short-listing (that was the next stage last year - based on your application)
Then you sit the supervised tests AGAIN, PLUS an e-tray exercise.
It's basically a work scenario where you are asked to write a brief/ memo based on info given. You then get interrupted with a demand from your boss to do another task e.g. an email to the Minister.
In the middle of all this you get lots of lots of questions with work case scenarios you have to answer - multiple choice.
There is prep work etc sent before-hand so you'll get it if you progress that far.

I found it extremely challenging and it overwhelmed me on top of the other 3 tests. I was 8 months pregnant which didn't help!!

Like they now do these initial tests for PO online with a webcam active to supervise you. Why not do this for AP and then only bring us in for the e-tray.
I don't understand it - it's very demanding on that day - in my experience.

I did the EO a couple of years back and they did the E-Tray and the interview on same day. The whole thing was a lot for one day.

Lots of people were passing the interview and then failing the e-tray lol

Needless to say for the next competition they did the e-tray first and did the interviews on another day.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
03-06-2020, 00:58   #456
Brera

Quote:
Originally Posted by dee75 View Post
And here's a separate post on how the 2018 competition worked (for me). Again, this is no guarantee as to how it will operate this time around. You will see changes between the 2016 and 2018 competitions.

Stage 1 Home Aptitude Tests
Tests - held between 27 September and 2 October 2018
Results - on 25 October 2018. Gave order of merit based on verbal and situational judgment scores. You just had to pass numerical. Qualifying score on all 3 was 40 points.

Stage 2 Shortlisting
This was different from 2016 competition.
Anyone who scored more than 106 points in Stage 1 (i.e. combined verbal and situational judgment score exceeding 106 points) then had their application form reviewed by a panel who decided if it met the standard or not. I don't know how many were knocked out here, but I'm aware that at least a few appealed the decision to PAS.

Stage 3 Supervised Tests
Tests - I think tests were spread out over a long period with several batches. Mine was in early March 2019
Results - on 20 March 2019. Order of merit was determined by Job Simulation and Etray results only.
Verbal - qualifying score 38 points
Numerical - qualifying score 38 points
Job Simulation - qualifying score 41 points
Etray Exercise - qualifying score 40 points

Stage 4 Interview
Interviews - held over several weeks in April 2019 (again may have been different for others - depends what batch you were in).
Results - 23 April 2019. Gave order of merit for your First Chosen Region, and separate message later giving you OOM for your Second Chosen Region. Gave breakdown of scores for each competency. Qualifying score was 41 points per competency, with a maximum of 100 points for each.
Thanks for that.

It will be interesting to see this time how the video interview plays out.

They have listed it after shortlisting in the information booklet.

I wonder is it a replacement for the e tray / simulation exercise or just an additional step added to server as a filter before the interview round.

Last edited by Brera; 03-06-2020 at 03:46.
Thanks from:
03-06-2020, 01:02   #457
poundhound

Jesus, the numerical test?
Lord have mercy!
03-06-2020, 06:29   #458
Toulouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audreyly View Post
Yeah I have gotten a reply but it’s more of a brush off and they are saying the questions are linked to the paragraph, I replied back explaining as simply as possible what the problem was as I thought maybe they don’t understand me and again the reply seemed to be trying to brush me off and indicating that I was the one that didn’t understand the question and they didn’t even look at the paragraph or the questions (I had sent a screen shot of the paragraph and the first two questions), my original messages wasn’t replied to until after 11.30 last night which I am assuming the help desk is not in England. Maybe if more people who have the same problem send them a message they might look into it
I thought the same as you, emailed them and got the same response. However looking at it again I can see that they are correct. Pretend that you are saying those sentences directly to someone in relation to the scenario, I was relating them to myself, which I think was why they didn’t seem to fit. Hope that helps!
03-06-2020, 07:39   #459
griffid

Are we assuming that, considering social distancing etc, they are still going to go ahead with elements that require groups of people in a confined space for a period of time? The interview panels couldn’t sit for more than what, 2 hours a day?

I wonder how it’ll all work, just extend the amount of time the process takes by some more weeks so that smaller groups can be brought in?

Or skip the supervised tests and go straight to the video round before holding interviews by zoom.
Advertisement
03-06-2020, 09:20   #460
Cheeseplant

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffid View Post

Or skip the supervised tests and go straight to the video round before holding interviews by zoom.
Next stage could be the online competency recordings, then shortlisting, then zoom interview?
Really don't want an online interview. I think it would be very difficult to build rapport and get energy from the board.
Thanks from:
03-06-2020, 09:34   #461
Anonire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheeseplant View Post
Next stage could be the online competency recordings, then shortlisting, then zoom interview?
Really don't want an online interview. I think it would be very difficult to build rapport and get energy from the board.
I think they will cut some people before the online video.
I would hate an online interview too. Much rather in person but if needs must. Don't think the supervised tests will happen unless they do them online.

Last edited by Anonire; 03-06-2020 at 10:32.
Thanks from:
03-06-2020, 09:36   #462
Mervyn Skidmore

Next round is the swimsuit round.
03-06-2020, 09:54   #463
Rainbowstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by poundhound View Post
Jesus, the numerical test?
Lord have mercy!
I feel your pain. I thought I may have failed it last year but scraped by. This was far worse for me. No way I could've passed unless it's 2 out of 18 for a pass!!
Thanks from:
03-06-2020, 10:20   #464
Aglomerado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mervyn Skidmore View Post
Next round is the swimsuit round.
Then the Bush Tucker trials ..."I'm a civil servant get me out of here!"
03-06-2020, 10:23   #465
Audreyly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toulouse View Post
I thought the same as you, emailed them and got the same response. However looking at it again I can see that they are correct. Pretend that you are saying those sentences directly to someone in relation to the scenario, I was relating them to myself, which I think was why they didn’t seem to fit. Hope that helps!
Yeah after I had another look back on it last night I realised the same, I think by that stage I was so use to the other questions that I didn’t notice the curve ball that was thrown on this one
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion