Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

03-06-2020, 01:10   #16
New Home

I meant the 14-inch one, but the 15.6'' mateboom doesn't have a numberpad either. I don't want an external one, I'd rather not work with a million appendages and a limited n. of USB ports, otherwise I might as well go for a normal desktop.

It would be nice if you actually answered the questions, if you can. Aside from the issue of the hinges/casing, are there ant other issues I should be mindful of? Ok, a 2k laptop won't last me 3 times a €600 one - how much longer can I expect it to kast?
Advertisement
03-06-2020, 01:16   #17
glasso

who knows.

I'm out.

might have helped if you actually address the ***READ THIS FIRST*** notice

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/show...p?t=2055171416
03-06-2020, 01:18   #18
Stu Redman

Tbf to glasso, DVD drives just aren't a common thing on new laptops anymore. I found this out myself recently when I got a new laptop and did a lot of window shopping in the process.
(3) thanks from:
03-06-2020, 01:27   #19
glasso

either are dedicated numeric keypads on actual decent laptops as the vast majority of people value smaller size

both those and dvd drives are pretty much obsolete and if you want one it's a usb plug-in

if you haven't bought a laptop in the last 10 years at least do yourself the service of a little cursory research ffs (directed at OP not last poster)
Thanks from:
03-06-2020, 01:51   #20
New Home

I'm within the timeframe, so, I bought it 9 years ago. I don't care if it's obsolete or if you think it's useless to you, it's not useless to me. I'm not the vast majority of people, I'm the one who has to use it.

I have read that thread, BTW, but none of that covered my question.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
05-06-2020, 00:20   #21
cherryghost
Frequent Support Feeder

Send a message via MSN to cherryghost Send a message via Yahoo to cherryghost Send a message via Skype™ to cherryghost
This isnt too bad for the price. Standard size screen and comes with numpad that you require. Has good storage, ram, screen, latest Intel processors. Only downsize is that it is not a metallic chassis. Its good quality plastic. If your previous laptops were plastic, consider it completely different, modern laptop plastic quality is generally good.

If you want a showstopper of a laptop that'll turn heards when you're at home or out and about, this is a good deal right now. THe numpad is built into the touchscreen. I've used it, its quite good but I dont really use numpad at all, so it was a bit of a gimmick for me. Positives on this vs other laptop: metallic chassis, better quality screen. Downsize, smaller SSD, slower (but still decent) CPU, 14 inch screen (though difference between 14 and 15.6 inch laptops is pretty neglible when it comes down to it)
05-06-2020, 00:48   #22
the_syco
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Home View Post
I'm looking for something with a screen >15'' with a numerical keyboard. My budget would be around the €600 (flexible), it'd be mostly for home but I'd like to be able to use it to watch a film and do some work on it without it dying on me.
First off, why the numpad? Personally speaking, I don't like either of the numpads in the laptops Cherryghost suggested. They are great laptops, however I like a full numpad I can feel.

The 1st lacks the +,-,*,/ around the side, and on the second they are in the wrong place. If you'll be doing accounting and you'll be using it excessively without having to look at what you're typing.

Quote:
I have read that thread, BTW, but none of that covered my question.
Sorry to be sarky, but read it again, and this time answer the questions

Specifically, the intended use. Why the numpad? I need it for entering bitlocker keys; heck, I even bought a few USB keypads over the years for use on laptops without proper numpad

Quote:
I don't care if it's obsolete or if you think it's useless to you, it's not useless to me. I'm not the vast majority of people, I'm the one who has to use it.
It also unnecessarily shortens the list of laptops. An alternative would be this; https://www.mymemory.ie/lg-ultra-sli...-rw-black.html
It's an external USB powered DVD writer. Very slim. Put it into your laptop bag, and use whenever. I have an old MSI laptop, and have only used the DVD writer to burn Windows installer DVDs.

=-=

Personally, if I ever buy a laptop, I'll want to be able to take it apart, and to ensure it has a fan in it. I don't care if it's loud (the rear fan on the PC next to me is going just below 50% of it's speed; about 1500RPM); I want to be able to use it. Also want to be able to fix the parts if needs be. But that's just me
Thanks from:
05-06-2020, 00:49   #23
wextext

Another option would be a Dell Inspiron. €629 for i5 version
Well built for the price.
Proper numpad.
No cd drive, you could buy cheap external.
Fast but not huge hard-drive (once you go ssd you will never go back)
If you wanted to futureproof, in a year or two, you could add another 8Gb stick of memory (bringing it to 16GB) and add another harddrive to give you plenty of storage (has an empty 2.5" bay).
05-06-2020, 01:01   #24
cherryghost
Frequent Support Feeder

Send a message via MSN to cherryghost Send a message via Yahoo to cherryghost Send a message via Skype™ to cherryghost
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_syco View Post
First off, why the numpad? Personally speaking, I don't like either of the numpads in the laptops Cherryghost suggested. They are great laptops, however I like a full numpad I can feel.

The 1st lacks the +,-,*,/ around the side, and on the second they are in the wrong place. If you'll be doing accounting and you'll be using it excessively without having to look at what you're typing.

Sorry to be sarky, but read it again, and this time answer the questions

Specifically, the intended use. Why the numpad? I need it for entering bitlocker keys; heck, I even bought a few USB keypads over the years for use on laptops without proper numpad

It also unnecessarily shortens the list of laptops. An alternative would be this; https://www.mymemory.ie/lg-ultra-sli...-rw-black.html
It's an external USB powered DVD writer. Very slim. Put it into your laptop bag, and use whenever. I have an old MSI laptop, and have only used the DVD writer to burn Windows installer DVDs.

=-=

Personally, if I ever buy a laptop, I'll want to be able to take it apart, and to ensure it has a fan in it. I don't care if it's loud (the rear fan on the PC next to me is going just below 50% of it's speed; about 1500RPM); I want to be able to use it. Also want to be able to fix the parts if needs be. But that's just me
Dont listen to this fella, he never owned a laptop and denounces them when he sees someone using it
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
05-06-2020, 01:19   #25
EmptyTree

Quote:
Thanks for that. If I have to go up in price, I will. No Lenovo and no Toshiba, though.
My work uses Lenovo and I've had the laptop for 5 years, I could get an upgrade if I wanted but I'll hold onto to it for another while yet, it's been absolutely bulletproof. Previously I would have written them off too, but now for my next personal laptop I'll be taking a hard look at Lenovo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_syco View Post

Can we not just assume the OP knows what they want, they've been quizzed enough on it and seem fairly adamant. Whether a high spec laptop exists with a number pad is a different matter.
Thanks from:
05-06-2020, 01:46   #26
New Home

Thanks for the replies.

I probably wasn't clear in my initial post, so let me try again. I'm not looking for advice on what laptop to buy, yet, but I might need help later on when I've done a shortlist (which I will do on the basis of the answers I get).

Taking into account that:
1. I want/need a laptop with a numeric pad built in.
2. It must be a large laptop.
3. It needs to have a disc drive (DVD or Blu-Ray)

I need to know:
1. Whether a SSD would have the same problems with overheating as a HDD would (I don't think so, but I'd like to be sure).
2. If splashing out on a very expensive laptop is worth it in relation to its life expectancy (if not, what's the difference between a budget/mid-range one and an expensive one, duration-wise?). The closest I got to have this answered by the Q&A post mentioned here is that it says "More is not always better", nothing else, and it's not much to go by. I've re-read that thread again, and I'm still where I started.

On a separate note:
1. Do external drive adaptors (or whatever it's the most appropriate item) actually work properly? Would I be able to use my old hard drive as an external drive on the new laptop?

Telling me that what I'm looking for is obsolete or that people don't use them any more is a moot point, because to me would be like a man telling a woman that sanitary pads are obsolete - if you're not the one who has to use them, you're not in a position to decide for me (pardon the bad analogy).

Thanks again.
05-06-2020, 01:48   #27
New Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmptyTree View Post
My work uses Lenovo and I've had the laptop for 5 years, I could get an upgrade if I wanted but I'll hold onto to it for another while yet, it's been absolutely bulletproof. Previously I would have written them off too, but now for my next personal laptop I'll be taking a hard look at Lenovo.

Can we not just assume the OP knows what they want, they've been quizzed enough on it and seem fairly adamant. Whether a high spec laptop exists with a number pad is a different matter.
Thanks Empty Tree, I might reconsider the Lenovo, but I've had recent reports of different people who had them die on them or go on a boot loop for no reason - not sure if it's an issue with the newer models. They would have been work computers, too.
Thanks from:
05-06-2020, 01:57   #28
GarIT

By longer life do you mean years or battery life? Higher specs mean you get a shorter battery life. But yes the more you spend the longer it will last. You'll probably get a year out of it for every €200 you spend, unless you use it well past when the manufacturers and Microsoft think it's obsolete.

Neither a HDD or SSD produce heat.

You could just accept that laptops produce heat to go fast. Or go for the laptop who's processor has the lowest TDP if you want to minimise heat.

Last edited by GarIT; 05-06-2020 at 02:07.
Thanks from:
05-06-2020, 02:09   #29
New Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarIT View Post
By longer life do you mean years or battery life? Higher specs mean you get a shorter battery life. But yes the more you spend the longer it will last. You'll probably get a year out of it for every €200 you spend, unless you use it well past when the manufacturers and Microsoft think it's obsolete.

Neither a HDD or SSD produce heat.
Thank you, that's a good guide. I meant overall life, not just battery.

The previous mid-range ones lasted me 7 and 9 years respectively - if I spend a grand and a half or more (as opposed to the €600ish I spent for the last one 9 years ago), how much longer do you think they'd last (keyboard, screen, touchpad, etc). Would I be wrong in thinking that a higher-specs laptop would have a "stronger" battery?

Good to know about the heat, too, thanks for the explanation, I'll look more into it.
05-06-2020, 02:31   #30
GarIT

Quote:
Thank you, that's a good guide. I meant overall life, not just battery.

The previous mid-range ones lasted me 7 and 9 years respectively - if I spend a grand and a half or more (as opposed to the €600ish I spent for the last one 9 years ago), how much longer do you think they'd last (keyboard, screen, touchpad, etc). Would I be wrong in thinking that a higher-specs laptop would have a "stronger" battery?

Good to know about the heat, too, thanks for the explanation, I'll look more into it.
Any laptop can fail at any time for a variety of reasons. What I said could be better phrased as "will still be considered modern" than will still turn on.

Yes you would be wrong in thinking that. The best laptop battery available costs less than €10 to manufacture, so cost isn't an issue, weight is the only issue. Cheap laptops can have good batteries, expensive laptops can have poor batteries. What is universally true though is that a higher specced laptop will use more electricity, draining whatever battery it has faster.

Looking at TDP of the processor will actually help heat as well as battery life.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion