Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

April 2020 Babies club

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Sprites

Nickibaby* wrote: »
    How is everyone getting on now?

Baby is 6 weeks today and sleeping reasonably during the night now thankfully. He's still up a couple of times for feeding but seems to know day from night!

Quick question the baby doesn't like the pram as lying flat and I think he doesn't feel very snug and he's still small in comparison to the size of the pram, has anyone had similar issues or are there any inserts to make it more cosy? When going for walks I've just been using the car seat which I know isn't ideal for their lungs/hips (we don't have him in it for any longer than 2 hours in a 24 hour period)

Ours was 6 weeks on Sunday. Still having major sleep issues here as we are dealing with gas, congestion and reflux.

I'm not aware of any products made for prams. Any of the sleep pods on the market are a bit too big for a carrycot of a pram. Could you use rolled up cellular blankets to make it more cosy? Youd need to keep a close eye to make sure baby hasn't got his/her face up against them though.

ClevaMama sell a pram pillow but I've never used one. You could put something under the head of the mattress in the pram to elevate it slightly .

Or swaddle them in the pram?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

How is everyone getting on now?

Baby is 6 weeks today and sleeping reasonably during the night now thankfully. He's still up a couple of times for feeding but seems to know day from night!

Quick question the baby doesn't like the pram as lying flat and I think he doesn't feel very snug and he's still small in comparison to the size of the pram, has anyone had similar issues or are there any inserts to make it more cosy? When going for walks I've just been using the car seat which I know isn't ideal for their lungs/hips (we don't have him in it for any longer than 2 hours in a 24 hour period)

My eldest hated the pram, it was a total no-no.Depending on your buggy, you can get an infant insert for the buggy seat.We had an Uppababy Vista-you can get an infant insert for about 40eur, holds their head in place and a wedge under it provides back support for them -similar to the type of newborn insert you have for the MaxiCosi carseat.The seat is supposed to be laid flat when you use it.

It is not ideal, but tbh, it was what worked best for us as she would just scream herself purple everytime we tried the pram for a walk.

Depending on your buggy brand, have a look and see if there is an infant insert available to go with it.There may be some universal ones also, it's a while since I looked.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Pocos

Hi all,

I hope this finds you all well and babies are starting to give parents a little bit more sleep!!

My little girl had her vaccinations today and they were looking for her immunisation booklet Passport thing! I assumed they were gonna give it to me at the first visit but they said no I should have had it!

I have one for my first little one but that was over 2 years ago and I haven’t a clue who or where I got it!! Did anyone get one for their little one? If so can you tell me where to apply?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Dahdum

Hi Pocos, the PHN gave me the passport along with other booklets. Were you given anything by your PHN? If so, it might be in amongst the docs you got.

Dahdum wrote: »
    Hi Pocos, the PHN gave me the passport along with other booklets. Were you given anything by your PHN? If so, it might be in amongst the docs you got.

Hi Dahdum

No PHN didn’t give me any info on the vaccinations as she was girl number 2. Must contact him to get one so!

Thanks for quick reply

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Nickibaby*

Hi pocos same with me phn provided it

How's your little one after the vaccine?

Mine isn't until baby is 9 weeks so another 2 weeks to go!

Hi pocos same with me phn provided it

How's your little one after the vaccine?

Mine isn't until baby is 9 weeks so another 2 weeks to go!

Hi nickibaby
    Little one was ok! Slept a lot which I did remember on baby one was the same! Fussy while awake but generally good! Have given the 3 doses of calpol to get us up to bedtime ish 9pm. Then you give a 4th dose if needed so have that for middle of the night if I feel little One is in pain!!

Generally lots of sleep, I remember 4 month ones are harder on them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Pocos wrote: »
    Hi Dahdum

No PHN didn’t give me any info on the vaccinations as she was girl number 2. Must contact him to get one so!

Thanks for quick reply

You can order them online. They’re free and they just post it out.

https://www.healthpromotion.ie/publication/fullListing?category=Immunisation

I didn’t get one for either baby from anyone.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

The book is usually in a pocket in the back or front of a HSE booklet you get on vaccinations...its a blue and white booklet?If memory serves me correctly, the hospital gave it to me each time (along with all the other paper!) When I was discharged.But I am sure you can pick up other copies.

Thanks Bee I literally just ordered it there now.

Got no info regarding vaccinations from hospital due to covid they weren’t giving out any paper they said (??)! So I didn’t get one but thanks all for such quick replies :)

How are everyone’s little one getting on?
    Poor child is def the ignored second child in this house. Toddlers take up so much attention!!!!!

• Advertisement

Got no info regarding vaccinations from hospital due to covid they weren’t giving out any paper they said (??)! So I didn’t get one but thanks all for such quick replies :)

Poor child is def the ignored second child in this house. Toddlers take up so much attention!!!!!

Same, my first child was never allowed cry. He was picked up as soon as he fussed. Poor baby girl is having to learn patience at a young age.

Things were going great but for the past 3 days baby boy is randomly screaming the house down. In flying form one minute cranky the next, he's 7 weeks I'm hoping it's just a growth spurt from doing a bit of research. He is randomly screaming when being breastfed or when we try give him a bottle. Any one else experiencing anything similar?

He is our first born so perhaps we are giving it too much attention and it will hopefully pass soon

Things were going great but for the past 3 days baby boy is randomly screaming the house down. In flying form one minute cranky the next, he's 7 weeks I'm hoping it's just a growth spurt from doing a bit of research. He is randomly screaming when being breastfed or when we try give him a bottle. Any one else experiencing anything similar?

He is our first born so perhaps we are giving it too much attention and it will hopefully pass soon

Possibly leap 2? Leaps are based on due date rather than birth date.

I second what Bee06 has said on the developmental leaps. There is an app called Wonder Weeks which explains the developmental milestones babies experience in their 1st 18 months and the impact they have on the baby.

Did you find anything to make baby more comfortable in the pram? I just came across an ad for this https://www.clevamama.com/travel/clevafoam-head-body-support.html

Thank you both I definitely think now it was a leap he was off form for 3 days but thankfully back to being our happy baby again minus the screaming!

Thanks Sprites I'm going to order that still no joy with the pram but that looks like it could do the job and very good price if it doesn't

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

Silly question maybe but what did you use as ‘proof of birth’ for hubby to qualify for paternity leave? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Dahdum

Blingy - would birth cert or letter response from registering the book work?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭buttercup20

Blingy wrote: »
    Silly question maybe but what did you use as ‘proof of birth’ for hubby to qualify for paternity leave? Thanks.

We used baby's birth cert as proof.

We haven’t heard back from registering the birth yet and only applied for birth cert today.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Paternity leave needs to be applied for well in advance of the birth so its unlikely you'll have the birth cert. I used a medical certificate from the hospital stating the due date.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

Blingy wrote: »

Hi Blingy, my hubby applied before the baby was born. He just had to show his employer a copy of my maternity benefit application which had been signed by my doctor.

Do you have any letter from hospital or PHN or any discharge papers from the hospital? As far as I know it's for the employer rather than the Department of Social Welfare so they may sign and stamp the form without actual evidence if they are certain you and your partner have indeed had a baby

Have any of you been following the campaign to extend maternity benefit for mothers affected by the Covid-19 restrictions?

The motion due to be voted on in the Dail proposes extending it only for anyone whose leave ends between March and September so anyone whose leave started in April won't be eligible.

Paternity leave needs to be applied for well in advance of the birth so its unlikely you'll have the birth cert. I used a medical certificate from the hospital stating the due date.

I used a scan from the hospital with due date on it. Same as I used for my maternity leave application

Sprites wrote: »
    Have any of you been following the campaign to extend maternity benefit for mothers affected by the Covid-19 restrictions?

The motion due to be voted on in the Dail proposes extending it only for anyone whose leave ends between March and September so anyone whose leave started in April won't be eligible.

Oh I haven't been following it but I will now! My maternity leave officially started at the end of March so I'd be due back to work officially at the end of September

Oh I haven't been following it but I will now! My maternity leave officially started at the end of March so I'd be due back to work officially at the end of September

The motion proposes an extra 12 weeks maternity leave for anyone whose leave ends between March and end of September.

Its being proposed by some Independent and Sinn Fein TDs so will need the support of FF and FG to get over the1st hurdle.

I'm hoping they will consider amending the dates.

bee06 wrote: »
    I used a scan from the hospital with due date on it. Same as I used for my maternity leave application

I will use this. Thanks

Thanks Sprites, fingers crossed they do consider changing the dates would be lovely to have the time to spend with family and go to mother and baby groups if they reopen.

Looking forward to baby seeing his grandparents after 29th June

How is everything going for you all now?

It is looking increasingly likely that maternity leave will be extended

Hi Nickibaby,

All going well here! Little girl is def settling well! Got 9.30pm till 7am last night so lovely to get good stretches at night! Now if I could get the two year old to do the same I’ll be on the pigs back ;) it’s like they take turns on who’s gonna wake us up!!

Really extending maternity? Where did you see that?

• Advertisement

All good here.

The motion that is being put forward only proposes an extension of 12 weeks for anyone whose 26 wks leave ends between March and September 2020 so alot of April 2020 mums won't qualify unless its amended.

I've made some enquiries of my local representatives and I tried contacting Brid Smith who is putting forward the motion to ask why they decided on those specific dates and whether they would consider including all mothers affected.

No reply from Brid Smith, vague replies from FF, FG and GP representatives. Sinn Fein representative replied saying that they will support an extension of leave for anyone whose leave terminates between end March and end September and propose a review at the end of September based on availability of childcare and health and safety requirements.

So unless you started your leave in March I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Very unfair in my opinion to differentiate and I'd really like to know the rationale for the dates selected but I suppose they have to cut it off somewhere.

Advertisement