Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Flightradar24 (and other trackers) Thread Part IV

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,054 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

joujoujou wrote: »
    Is that one owned by PSNI?

https://tar1090.adsbexchange.com/?icao=4064bd

Some loops! ;)

It is with the PSNI alright, G-CGTC,a Britten Norman Defender.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭10-10-20

joujoujou wrote: »
    Is that one owned by PSNI?

https://tar1090.adsbexchange.com/?icao=4064bd

Some loops! ;)

adsbexchange's MLAT (the method of triangulating aircraft using remote stations) leaves a lot to be desired. I'd commonly see 500m to 1km jumps in routes just because they seem to allow too much variance in the timing.
    So you end up getting really sloppy paths with jagged edges.
    But hey, it's free!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,494 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Take a plane for a spin?

https://tar1090.adsbexchange.com/?icao=48c227

Sure, why not?

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭rameire

EI-EIK

On approach after doing the loop.
    Distance of Photo is 3km.
    bJKZJsTl.jpg

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Indestructable

A UPS Shannon to Dublin just went over the house. A 767, quite unusual, got a bit excited!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

A UPS Shannon to Dublin just went over the house. A 767, quite unusual, got a bit excited!

Think that's a daily flight and then on to Cologne.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Indestructable

Think that's a daily flight and then on to Cologne.

No way! Must keep an eye out for it in future, love seeing them on a sunny day like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

No way! Must keep an eye out for it in future, love seeing them on a sunny day like this.

That’s been daily since before all this covid kerfuffle, Prob never noticed because of the skies being so busy.....! It’s nice to see an old Boeing with no winglets flying about tho

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭mikel97

That’s been daily since before all this covid kerfuffle, Prob never noticed because of the skies being so busy.....! It’s nice to see an old Boeing with no winglets flying about tho

Far from old, the 1 we turned around that day is 5 years old!! Service going back to A306 soon

mikel97 wrote: »
    Far from old, the 1 we turned around that day is 5 years old!! Service going back to A306 soon

Really? I’d didnt realize.. I though winglets were as standard on the 767 now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

I believe that you will find that winglets only become cost effective on certain routes.

smurfjed wrote: »
    I believe that you will find that winglets only become cost effective on certain routes.

I always thought the cost effectiveness was because of the cost of instillation and if they are factory installed (like the 737) then over the course of a frames lifetime they will be of huge benefit as they don’t carry the same instillation costs

Interestingly, the Split Schimiter winglets you see these days on many 737NG’s are not factory installed, and Boeing even buy back the factory fitted winglets and use them again on other frames

• Registered Users Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭dashoonage

https://www.flightradar24.com/FA20/24984958

someone forgot something ?

I’d just like to thank the threadstarter for putting (and other trackers) on. My go-to is OpenADSB, followed by Planefinder. FR24 only if the other 2 don’t catch it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

SeaSlacker wrote: »
    I’d just like to thank the threadstarter for putting (and other trackers) on. My go-to is OpenADSB, followed by Planefinder. FR24 only if the other 2 don’t catch it.

Consensus back in the mists of time was that FR24 was the most used app/site.
    But suggestion was made a few weeks that the other resources are being used a lot more. Hence the addition of the text in brackets.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Rescue 92? Currently hovering overhead Donabate beach at about 50ft, must be somebody in water, lowered recovery board

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Looks now en route to a dublin hospital

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭faoiarvok

Rescue 92? Currently hovering overhead Donabate beach at about 50ft, must be somebody in water, lowered recovery board

Rescue 116, a Sikorsky S92 I’d say

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭HTCOne

I always thought the cost effectiveness was because of the cost of instillation and if they are factory installed (like the 737) then over the course of a frames lifetime they will be of huge benefit as they don’t carry the same instillation costs

Interestingly, the Split Schimiter winglets you see these days on many 737NG’s are not factory installed, and Boeing even buy back the factory fitted winglets and use them again on other frames

The fuel burn from carrying the extra weight of the winglets is only offset by improved aerodynamic efficiencies on flights above a certain length, hence why JAL had no winglets on their domestic configured 747-400s. I seem to recall reading the flight needs to be over roughly 4 hours long for them to be worthwhile on the B744.

Interesting one into Shannon later N519SW,an A660. In around 6.30pm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

HTCOne wrote: »
    The fuel burn from carrying the extra weight of the winglets is only offset by improved aerodynamic efficiencies on flights above a certain length, hence why JAL had no winglets on their domestic configured 747-400s. I seem to recall reading the flight needs to be over roughly 4 hours long for them to be worthwhile on the B744.

Ei had a similar issue with the A320 sharklets, they can be retro fitted but the mods on older wings are costly. The pay back doesn't make a lot of sense on short sectors.

Also the crosswind limits are higher on the winglets vs sharklets, so you see A320's land in Dublin when 737NG's are outside limits.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,820 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Interesting one into Shannon later N519SW,an A660. In around 6.30pm

Used to be a Southwest 737-500. Odd that someone would reuse the NxxxSW registration.

Life ain't always empty.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Owner name suggests why they went SW - SCIARA & WHITTINGTON AIR & GROUND

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

I had a feeling something was wrong when I saw the coastguard hovering over the lake on Flightradar.

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1267694429130952705

Various 767s into Shannon today

N308CM B763 @ 1415
    N379AA B763 @1545
    N342AX B763 @1920
    OY-SRU B763 @2010
    OY-SRH B762 @2125

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Yellow Dog

Various 767s into Shannon today

N308CM B763 @ 1415
    N379AA B763 @1545
    N342AX B763 @1920
    OY-SRU B763 @2010
    OY-SRH B762 @2125

And N819AX just flew over after departing Sofia.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

I wonder is this on firefighting duty up around the Cooley Peninsula?

nwqnjbV

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭faoiarvok

I wonder is this on firefighting duty up around the Cooley Peninsula?

nwqnjbV

Aerial survey I’d say

747 ER-BBJ due in Shannon around midday

• Advertisement

N3796B,C130,is due into Shannon shortly after 7pm. An interesting one.

Advertisement