Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I overreacting?

2»

Comments

The vulnerable should be looking at moving out??? The same thing can be said for the person carrying on meeting up with fellas... It's just a extra risk of catching this virus and bringing it into the house. It's selfish behaviour, they aren't going to die from not getting a ride.

That said I also live with an immunocompromised person and they are carrying on with life as well. I wish I was that easy going with this virus.

thats what i said, yes

if you are in a vulnerable minority of one out of a group of six, thats obvious, you should be looking at your mitigation first

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

thats what i said, yes

if you are in a vulnerable minority of one out of a group of six, thats obvious, you should be looking at your mitigation first

That's all fine... Except how much warning did we get on this pandemic? Enough to save up for a deposit for a new place on their own? If this vulnerable person got warning last year, I'm sure they would be fine now except we are two months in and alot of people who lost their jobs. And the person who's going out enjoying themselves is still working as a nurse!!! They have the money, so why can't they move out.

thats what i said, yes

Firstly, the housemate is breaking lockdown rules. Going into a person's house isn't even allowed at the moment and two meters distancing outside. This is the reality of the rules. Also people violating the rules to this degree is something that can result in the lockdown being extended for the entire country.

As a person who is immunocompromised, I'm lucky enough to be living on my own. When I was living in Dublin, that was never an option. So fiscally it may not be an option for a person.

Being a vulnerable minority during a global pandemic that has killed hundreds of thousands, it's reasonably to expect a bit of cop on and human decency.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭Tork

This is the second time I've seen that horse manure claiming that "It's OK to ride away if they live within 5km" posted here in the past week. It isn't and it never was. The current regulation for meeting somebody outside one's own household is now "friends or family within 5 kilometres in groups of no more than 4, adhering to 2 metre social distancing".

As for what to do, there isn't a lot. This housemate knows exactly what the regulations are and she's ignoring them. Unless she happened to visit this guy's house twice and sat 2m away from him :D Even if somebody or everybody in the house has a word with her, it is not going to end well. She knows she's in the wrong but is more likely to double down and tell everyone to fck off than to admit she's wrong.
    It is inconsiderate and irresponsible but some people are asshats. It's an absolute bummer that you're sharing a house with somebody like this. It opens up questions about how careful she is being in the rest of the house too. Is she changing out of her work clothes as soon as she gets home, for example? Is she washing her hands and observing good hygiene? Although your asthmatic housemate is the one at the most obvious risk from Covid-19, it could make any one of you very ill indeed. It would be prudent for all of you to be extra careful in the shared areas. Maybe get yourselves a spray bottle of household cleaner and kitchen roll and wipe down any surfaces you'll be using, just in case. Stay away from her when she is in the house and spend more time in your room. It is a crappy situation to be in but short of asking her to leave, I don't know what else you can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

Yes, you are overreacting

Maybe it's jealousy
    Unacknowledged attraction
    or that gettin the ride is what you want too

• Advertisement
  • Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Mod: 99nsr125 - read the forum charter before posting in PI/RI again. Your previous lost is well below the standards expected here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

Previous lost mmmm. Op not sure it’s your business unless it’s happening under your roof so be careful how you approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

I haven't seen the OP once say the person with asthma has a problem with her leaving the house?

Seems as if the OP is outraged on their behalf rather than the asthmatic saying they aren't happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,650 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato
    Restaurant at the End of the Universe

The person can do what they please outside the house.

Usually, yes.

Not now.

Nobody can.

It took a while but I don't mind. How does my body look in this light?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Zak Flaps wrote: »
    So 6 of us share a house.
    Last week one of the housemates went on a date and didn't come home until the next day.
    Earlier tonight she didn't come home after work. I'd safely say she hooked up with the same guy as last week.

One of my other housemates has athasma and had pneumonia last year so is in a high risk category for covid 19....so i'm really angry that housemate 1 has done this. Hooking up with some guy she only met for the first time last week and again off out earlier tonight. What is this guy has covid 19, passes it onto her and brings it into the house putting housemate 2 in danger....
    I think it is very selfish behaviour.

Am I overreacting?

Why is it any of your business?? If the asthmatic has an issue let her talk to the room mate. If not, butt out.

• Advertisement

kwestfan08 wrote: »
    I haven't seen the OP once say the person with asthma has a problem with her leaving the house?

So what? You'd think everyone who died was already at death's door (and therefore doesn't count, somehow) the way some clueless, selfish people are going on.

Why is it any of your business??

Ignorant behaviour that spreads a deadly disease is everyone's business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

So what? You'd think everyone who died was already at death's door (and therefore doesn't count, somehow) the way some clueless, selfish people are going on.

So what? Just seems weird to take issue with her leaving to meet someone under the guise of feeling concerned for a housemate that we don't even know has a problem with her behaviour.

If the OP has a problem and looking for advice, that's fine but involving a 3rd party to have a wee rant about your one getting the ride just seems a bit......I don't know, curtain twitchy

Ignorant behaviour that spreads a deadly disease is everyone's business.

From the OP, the roommate hasn’t spread any disease. Seems like nosiness and jealousy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭Tork

From the OP, the roommate hasn’t spread any disease. Seems like nosiness and jealousy.
    I think you need to brush up on your knowledge of Covid 19, how it is spread and how long it takes for symptoms to show.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭bitofabind

kwestfan08 wrote: »
    So what? Just seems weird to take issue with her leaving to meet someone under the guise of feeling concerned for a housemate that we don't even know has a problem with her behaviour.

I have a problem with this woman's behaviour and I have no relation to the OP and live in a different country. It really is the most telling time in our lifetime when you see people throwing guidelines that are designed to preserve human life out the window and doing whatever the fcuk they want.

Download any dating app right now and before you even message someone you get a notification about safety guidelines from the WHO and "Dating from Home." Unless any of the "let her do what she wants" brigade here are qualified epidemiologists with deeply researched information to the contrary, going on dates and getting the ride with someone outside your household and then taking yourself off to work with the general public and back to a flat share of 6 is downright selfish, irresponsible and disease-spreading behaviour.

Once again, we are in the middle of a GLOBAL PANDEMIC. Monitoring others' behaviours six months ago might've been nosy and "curtain-twitchy". Right now it is necessary and entirely understandable.

Tork wrote: »
    I think you need to brush up on your knowledge of Covid 19, how it is spread and how long it takes for symptoms to show.

Our chief medical officer has stated that “we have effectively extinguished Covid-19 in the community”. I’m sure they’ll be grand.

Our chief medical officer has stated that “we have effectively extinguished Covid-19 in the community”. I’m sure they’ll be grand.

The official stance of the CMO is that social distancing is still necessary. So it's not a question of choosing what suits you. The majority of us are still distanced from our own family members. So I would say the op's concern is legitimate.

The official stance of the CMO is that social distancing is still necessary. So it's not a question of choosing what suits you. The majority of us are still distanced from our own family members. So I would say the op's concern is legitimate.

All it is though, is a concern. There is absolutely NOTHING she can do about it.

Yes, there is something she can do about it, she can follow the bloody rules.

• Advertisement

Yes, there is something she can do about it, she can follow the bloody rules.

Reading comprehension 101. I was referring to there being nothing the OP could do about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭tawnyowl

Your friend can ride away once its in 5KM of where you live.
    A relevant link: https://www.thejournal.ie/phase-one-monday-coronavirus-covid-5100451-May2020/

Note that it says:
    to meet friends or family outdoors in groups no bigger than four
    From what the OP said it sounds like her housemate is unlikely to be meeting her date outdoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭tawnyowl

Its not whatsoever, the person is paying rent.

The person can do what they please outside the house.
    They are exposing their housemates to potential COVID-19 infection.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Did the whole house not have a conversation about this when the lockdown was introduced and what each of you expected from each other? If not then you should have.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Did the whole house not have a conversation about this when the lockdown was introduced and what each of you expected from each other? If not then you should have.

This.

Advertisement