Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

17-02-2020, 16:43   #1
jenniferrb

How do I afford student accommodation?

I’m from Kilkenny and applied to Trinity but honestly I’m not sure how to even afford living there (if I make it, that is). How do students even move away from home every year and be able to afford it??
Advertisement
17-02-2020, 16:46   #2
sweetie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferrb View Post
I’m from Kilkenny and applied to Trinity but honestly I’m not sure how to even afford living there (if I make it, that is). How do students even move away from home every year and be able to afford it??
In my day ('94 lol) we did digs for a couple of years. Was plenty of people doing it near DCU at the time. Digs is room and board Sunday to Friday with a couple/family
Thanks from:
17-02-2020, 20:08   #3
X6.430macman

Defer your place and work for a year or two and then you'll be comfortable...
17-02-2020, 20:12   #4
Padre_Pio

Quote:
Originally Posted by X6.430macman View Post
Trinity have on-campus accommodation that's more reasonable than the rest of Dub, but competition is high. They have some scholarships that guarantee you free accomm.
You could also get somewhere on the DART line, Pearse Station is outside Trinity.

My own 2 cents after studing in 5 different universities and ITs is not to bother with Dub. If I could do it again, I'd choose Sligo IT over UCD and the finiancial hardship that comes with living in Dublin (in fairness I was there from 06-10 so much easier than things are now).

Totally depends on the course and if you want/need the "prestige" of going to Trinity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by X6.430macman View Post
Dont do this unless you're not sure about the course or whether you even want to go to college. Worst case, commute for the first few months (hell) make friends and find someone to share a room with.
No sense working min wage while all your friends are in college.

Last edited by Padre_Pio; 17-02-2020 at 20:15.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion