Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

11-07-2018, 18:23   #1
Aaron Moat

Recurve Bow wood selection

Hi there, i am planning on making a recurve bow with fiberglass and wood. I have been given a piece of 4inch dia euculypcus seasoned for 6 months. Can anyone tell me if this would work, thanks
Advertisement
13-07-2018, 09:05   #2
Wabbit Ears

I have a large eucalyptus log drying and looked into is if it was suitable for a selfbow or similar. Apparently it's not a good wood for bowmaking and I read that traditionally there is little or no history of bows in oceanic areas where its the main type of wood. I can't remember sources now but I abandoned it as a project.
Thanks from:
14-07-2018, 08:56   #3
greysides

Osage, an American tree, is a good wood to make a selfbow from as it tolerates both compression and tension. I think I've heard of Oak and Ash being used but I'd suggest checking them out more before committing time and expense.
18-04-2019, 09:19   #4
Zxthinger

Oak and ash will make a serviceable bow but not great. Yew is what you want if it's home grown. Osage will have to be imported. Rowan and box wood work too. Rowan is best with if only small tree trunks are available.
Thanks from:
01-05-2019, 11:01   #5
Kloe_Kat
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Moat View Post
Hi there, i am planning on making a recurve bow with fiberglass and wood. I have been given a piece of 4inch dia euculypcus seasoned for 6 months. Can anyone tell me if this would work, thanks
If there is fibreglass how much does the wood performance matter. Elm and ash would be the safest Irish bets.
Advertisement
02-05-2019, 15:34   #6
greysides

Probably not a lot. I think most performance comes from glass. The wood could provide little more than the core.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion