Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric burr coffee grinder

• 30-03-2020 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for a new burr grinder. Interested in the below but open to other options.
    I have a gaggia classic machine which I'm happy with for now.
    Grinder is about 10 years old and working ok but I just want something smaller
    and with more settings. I also use a plunger so want multiple settings.

https://tinyurl.com/s2dhpw9

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

yeah that's a good one

I have a Barratza Encore, which is pretty good and I've found works well

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭wannabecraig

But that doesn't look like it holds the portafilter?

no you're correct it doesn't

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Akula

I have the sage and love it. Great device. Super simple and works like a dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭wannabecraig

Just bought it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

Sage here as well - no complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Newtown90

How ye getting on with the sage?

I've read reviews online where it's the bees knees and more saying it's average?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

Sage pro grinder here too, love it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,670 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I bought the Sage too...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Got sage Pro last week love it.

• Advertisement

What espresso machine ye using the sage with?

Any issues with clumping or finding the motor is struggling?

Newtown90 wrote: »
    What espresso machine ye using the sage with?

Any issues with clumping or finding the motor is struggling?

I have the Sage Duo Temp Pro, I opted for separates over an all in one machine
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sage-BES810BSS-Temp-Espresso-Machine/dp/B00NPYDJ6U

No issues with mine, it doesn't struggle at all. There's a slight clumping with very fresh beans but I prefer not to use my regular bean for at least 5 days after roasting as I feel it tastes much better than day 1-5

• Registered Users Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

£200 yikes! That's expensive no?

lawred2 wrote: »

Not if you want a burr grinder that gives consistent grinds and lasts you many years!

I got it for €180 including delivery. Coffee equipment is in high demand right now, so some of the bargains that were around are more difficult to find.

buy cheap buy twice is an especially prescient nugget of wisdom when it comes to grinders

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭alec76

Sage grinder just ok for the entry level ,if you serious about the espresso look elsewhere. It is not expensive though.
    Clumps would be the main reason to avoid it.
    And if you intend to use some advanced filter baskets ( VST and etc) it won’t grind fine enough.

After reading what feels like a billion different different threads and reviews on the Web I've settled on a Eureka Mignon Silenzio.

Just need to sneak it onto the counter top when she goes back to work!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭alec76

After reading what feels like a billion different different threads and reviews on the Web I've settled on a Eureka Mignon Silenzio.

Just need to sneak it onto the counter top when she goes back to work!

Probably one of the best grinders AFAIK for this price range , silent, almost ZERO coffee retention,no clumps, wide grinding range,you won’t be disappointed !

https://www.ecookshop.co.uk/ecookshop/m/product.asp?pid=SCG820BTR

£129 for the smart grinder pro... Not sure if the free shipping extends to Ireland. But worth a look.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Bluefoam wrote: »
    https://www.ecookshop.co.uk/ecookshop/m/product.asp?pid=SCG820BTR

£129 for the smart grinder pro... Not sure if the free shipping extends to Ireland. But worth a look.

10 sterling delivery to Ireland

10 sterling delivery to Ireland
    Sold out already

alec76 wrote: »
    Probably one of the best grinders AFAIK for this price range , silent, almost ZERO coffee retention,no clumps, wide grinding range,you won’t be disappointed !

Anywhere in Ireland so them?

I tried ordering one from Black Cat Coffee but they rejected it as I wanted it delivered to parcel motel.

Anywhere in Ireland so them?

I tried ordering one from Black Cat Coffee but they rejected it as I wanted it delivered to parcel motel.

Finally got the Eureka Mignon Silenzio delivered. Quiet a solid and heavy piece of kit!

Still away the Rancilio Silvia delivery so it will be sitting pretty for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭bricky06

Finally got the Eureka Mignon Silenzio delivered. Quiet a solid and heavy piece of kit!

Still away the Rancilio Silvia delivery so it will be sitting pretty for a while.

Hi, could you tell me where you managed to buy your Silenzio please? I haven't been able to find it on any Irish sites that I am familiar with.

bricky06 wrote: »
    Hi, could you tell me where you managed to buy your Silenzio please? I haven't been able to find it on any Irish sites that I am familiar with.

I got it from Black Cat Coffee in the end in the UK.

Not sure how things are with Brexit now.

Grinder is working perfect though, highly recommended.

I got it from Black Cat Coffee in the end in the UK.

Not sure how things are with Brexit now.

Grinder is working perfect though, highly recommended.

Thanks, I will take a look.

Yeah, Brexit has really cut down on my options for sourcing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Enrico Palazzo

You might be better off buying one from the continent. I was after the Mignon in the past, didn't buy it in the end, but was going to buy it in Germany as they had much better offers than in Ireland or UK and that was even before the brexit. Here is a somewhat random example that I came across just recently https://www.espressissimo.de/maschinen/eureka-muehlen/?p=1 with free shipping to Ireland and optional 5 years warranty. According to a price comparison https://www.idealo.de/preisvergleich/MainSearchProductCategory.html?q=eureka+mignon+silenzio they can be had for even less from other shops, but you will need to check their shipping options. EDIT: actually, I did not find better prices in the comparison after all, but you might be after a specific colour/spec.

Thanks, I have been looking within EU but it is hard to know how legit a lot of these companies are when you are unfamiliar with them - do you know much about that espressissimo.de site? I found a silenzio on a continental Amazon (Amazon fulfilled) for €425 but I had a sub €400 price in my head as I saw it on cremashop.eu for €379. Is anyone familiar with that shop at all?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Enrico Palazzo

I have only once bought coffee and accessories from them and had no problems in the process, but to fully recommend any shop I would need to have a history of returns, repairs, lost parcels etc. But they look to have a good reputation https://www.google.com/search?q=espressissimo.de+bewertungen

Advertisement