Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Research Council 2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 NeoM2020

I just got an email to say I've progressed to the second phase of assessment. Threshold was 92 (AHSS), with 421 eligible applications assessed. Final result by the end of May. The anxiety trip continues for another month so!

Sorry to those who didn't get the news you were hoping for. To be honest, these things often seem like a lottery and a lot depends on which reviewers you wind up with. Certainly don't be discouraged from submitting again or putting your proposal to another funding source!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 IRCStressAcct

That's a crazy high threshold! Well done anyway on putting together the application everyone and best of luck with the next steps, whether that's progressing to the next phase or looking for other funding sources/postdocs!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 IRCBurn

I got an email from the IRC with the below text:

"Assessment and eligibility checks are being completed on enterprise-employment 2021 applications.

Following on from your application, please can you forward on a confirmation email from your enterprise partner that they are still in the position to support this award if an offer was to be released?

For applications with partners that have previously been enterprise partners with the IRC, please can you also forward on confirmation from your enterprise partner that there are no outstanding payments due to the Council?

This email is not an offer of an award"

Any idea if this means I've passed stage one or anybody know anymore?

This is for the Postdoc Enterprise Partnership scheme.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

IRCBurn wrote: »

"Assessment and eligibility checks are being completed on enterprise-employment 2021 applications.

Following on from your application, please can you forward on a confirmation email from your enterprise partner that they are still in the position to support this award if an offer was to be released?

For applications with partners that have previously been enterprise partners with the IRC, please can you also forward on confirmation from your enterprise partner that there are no outstanding payments due to the Council?

Certainly not a bad sign but best to wait and see (yes, more waiting).

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Solli

I know someone who got a Marie Curie fellowship with a score of 96.7% in February but this same person didn’t get into the second round of the IRC scheme.
    Similar case in another faculty. Just shows how subjective this whole exercise is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 bibble123

Hey IRCBurn! I got the same email (I applied for the PG EBP). The enterprise/employment schemes don’t have two rounds so unfortunately I don’t think we can read into it too much. I applied and was unsuccessful last year and didn’t get this email but asked someone who was successful - they didn’t get the email either so I don’t think we can read too much into it unfortunately. I suspect given that the offers date was pushed back by a few months they just want an update ahead of sending out the outcomes at the end of the month (although I suspect it’ll be May now by the time we hear given that there’s such a delay and we only just got this email). Best of luck though!

So uh. Not to be "that guy/girl" but can I assume that the final PhD results likely won't be out until the very end of the month then? This has been killing my productivity and I just want to be put out of my misery :p

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Sspandangler

I just got my postgraduate result. Check your emails!

Just got my results as well, delighted to have got an offer! Now I'm just hoping it's smooth(er) sailing from here with the admin bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 clementine5

Yep, I also got an offer I'm thrilled this is finally over and done with

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 kulsoom

anybody who are on reserve list for postgraduate finding 2021?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 tektektek

I've made an account just to reply to this!

I applied for the PhD IRC enterprise partnership funding. They emailed roughly 2 weeks ago saying that assessment and eligibility checks were being done and requesting a confirmation email from my enterprise partner that they are still in the position to support the award.

After much chasing, my enterprise partner finally sent me the documentation this morning which I then sent on to the IRC at midday.

I then found out that another person received their successful results at 3pm!

So now I'm wondering if I haven't gotten a results email because I have been successful but they were waiting on approval from my enterprise partner, or if I didn't get it because I was unsuccessful. Has anyone who was unsuccessful received their results email?

Arghhh!! Now that I know the results are out I'm going mad with the suspense.
    Sending good luck to anyone else in my position!

tektektek wrote: »
    I've made an account just to reply to this!

I applied for the PhD IRC enterprise partnership funding. They emailed roughly 2 weeks ago saying that assessment and eligibility checks were being done and requesting a confirmation email from my enterprise partner that they are still in the position to support the award.

After much chasing, my enterprise partner finally sent me the documentation this morning which I then sent on to the IRC at midday.

I then found out that another person received their successful results at 3pm!

So now I'm wondering if I haven't gotten a results email because I have been successful but they were waiting on approval from my enterprise partner, or if I didn't get it because I was unsuccessful. Has anyone who was unsuccessful received their results email?

Arghhh!! Now that I know the results are out I'm going mad with the suspense.
    Sending good luck to anyone else in my position!

I was in the same situation. I got the email requesting an update from my enterprise partner on the 19th, sent confirmation back the same day and got my successful result yesterday at 3:45.

I havent heard of an unsucessful result so far, so fingers crossed for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 tektektek

I was in the same situation. I got the email requesting an update from my enterprise partner on the 19th, sent confirmation back the same day and got my successful result yesterday at 3:45.

I havent heard of an unsucessful result so far, so fingers crossed for you.

Thank you and a huge congratulations! :)

I hope the long wait for confirmation from my enterprise partner didn't impact my result! And I hope it's why I haven't gotten my result yet, not because I was unsuccessful.

Fingers & toes crossed.

kulsoom wrote: »
    anybody who are on reserve list for postgraduate finding 2021?

reserve here to kulsoom! what is ur score can i ask? anyone know when reserves will find out more?

In case helpful, I was told I have until 13th May to accept the offer at which point they will roll over any offers not confirmed yet to those on the reserve list. So I'd expect to hear back by mid-May. But again this is just based on my offer email and IDK what background processes they have going on that may delay things more.

After sending confirmation of acceptance of the award, I received no response. Has anyone else been in the same position? I might follow it up to ensure they acknowledge that I accepted it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 bibble123

After sending confirmation of acceptance of the award, I received no response. Has anyone else been in the same position? I might follow it up to ensure they acknowledge that I accepted it.

Haven’t heard back either, and neither has another successful student in my department so I think they might be waiting until the 13th, maybe? Congrats btw :)

Got an acknowledgment email yesterday so maybe check your spam folder? Even after unblocking their address some irc emails still get sent to my spam folder for some reason.

Yes I've also got my acknowledgement this week so no worries for now at least!

• Advertisement

Anyone else waiting on the final results for the postdoc fellowship? They said they will contact us "before the end of May".. so I'm hoping one of the days this week!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 kulsoom

score was 91. what about yours? anything new you heard from them?

kulsoom wrote: »
    score was 91. what about yours? anything new you heard from them?

Don't know my score yet, only that it was equal to or above the threshold of 92 to progress to the second phase. Still no word on the final outcome, probably looking at next week at this point :confused:

I eventually got my offer letter today for the Postdoc enterprise scheme.
    Nice surprise that the salary part increased to 38,600 (Yr 1) then 39,186 (Yr 2). Im guessing the extra is instead of the pension contribution, but still better than the 31,000 odd it used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 IRCseq

Postdoc here, I came in 0.5 below the award at 89.5 🙄 so I'm sitting on the reserve list. Congrats to those who got it though! Would love to hear back from fellow reserve listers who get upgraded!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 wororo98

IRCseq wrote: »
    Postdoc here, I came in 0.5 below the award at 89.5 🙄 so I'm sitting on the reserve list. Congrats to those who got it though! Would love to hear back from fellow reserve listers who get upgraded!
    do you mean that with 89,5 you're 0,5 below the award?
    how is that possible?

i am also postdoc, got 90,5 but the threshold is 92, so i'm currently 1,5 below the award (reserve list)

So I was told that those between 88 and 89.5 were placed on the reserve list, so I assumed that the cut off was 89.5 or maybe 90. I'm an EU candidate applying for the Maths/Engineering stream.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 malanski

wororo98 wrote: »
    do you mean that with 89,5 you're 0,5 below the award?
    how is that possible?

i am also postdoc, got 90,5 but the threshold is 92, so i'm currently 1,5 below the award (reserve list)

I believe that you guys are ranked in different panels - STEM and AHSS.

I have also applied to a postdoctoral fellowship in AHSS.

I also got to reserve list: 91.5 (0.5 point from the threshold).

It has been two weeks since I got the email with my score. I do not know whether I should keep optimistic about it or should start to accept the fact that I will not have an offer this year.

Hi Malanski,

I don't know what date people have to commit to the IRC by, but I think that you are in with a chance to be funded until the status on your Application Portal is changed from Reserve to Unsuccessful. Or until the scheme kicks in October. I'm not super optimistic, I've no idea how many are in my band or how its ranked but you may still have a shot!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 WoollySheep01

Hi all, I thought I would share some information for those of you on the reserve list. I've been lucky enough to be offered a 'conditional' award for the IRC postdoc (second time trying!). We've been told we need to have our acceptance letters signed (by us, our mentor, and the university) by 25 June. Then we have until 23 July to get our transcripts/degrees to the IRC. They are extremely finicky about the transcripts and people can be asked to get new transcripts etc. Only then will the person be offered the award formally. So I guess they have quite a process to get through before they start looking at the reserve list. I hope this helps. There will also invariably be some people who will turn down the postdoc because they have secured something else in the meantime. So it is definitely too early to give up hope!
    I would also say not to be disheartened if you don't get it. Every 'failed' application holds the keys to a future successful application. Either this IRC one or another one somewhere else. There is always an element of luck involved too and sometimes it just has to land on the right desk. I'll cross my fingers for you all (and crossing my fingers the IRC don't find some new issues with any of my documentation!).

Advertisement