Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Facebook Gambling Groups

• 16-04-2014 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,381 ✭✭✭✭

Lads,
    There has been a massive explosion in the existence of facebook groups/pages in relation to gambling (I could name about 6 soccer pages and two horse racing ones that I have seen people like in the past few weeks).

They all have thousands of followers at this stage as and mixed success - some generally have a great strike rate.

I suppose my question is this.

Are the people who set these pages up directly paid by the bookies or what exactly is in it for them?
    I suppose with thousands of followers is its pretty easy to manipulate the odds and as such ensure they can take advantage of that themselves but I would also assume they are getting some kind of kickback from the bookies.

Thoughts appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭markc91

I set one up last week myself as id be fairly decent picking a bet. It's mainly for my mates and work lads to see as there always asking what im on tonight etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 bagoffcans

whats the name off your page i wouldnt mind having a look

am i aloud plug it here mods? its mainstream football gambling advice

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

It is an old scam Derren Brown did it with Horse racing, you set up 10-20 pages and post safe bets. Hope one of the pages lands 15 bets in a row & delete the rest. Then you run with that 1 page under the guise you are the greatest tipster ever, you never lose and won everyone that follows you 10 grand in a week.

Then it gets passed around usually from their last tip page with 50K followers as "this guy won 10 grand last week" and the new page gets a bump of thousands of likes in a few days.

They post an affiliate link to different bookies in every post (keep changing it to offer different sign up bonuses) that pays for everyone that signs up.

Of course they never repeat that initial success but keep pointing to it as being "in profit" from the initial 10 grand win. After a few weeks of loses they point to another "super tipster" who just started but won his followers 10 grand.....again just last week......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Many of these are similar to the old newsletter scams. Don't fall for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,307 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Damn. Just seeing the thread title disappoints me that I didn't talk about this in a college project I did on regulations regarding Social Media :(

On topic, the goal of these pages must be to have bookies contact you eventually getting people to register new accounts for their websites, use their enhanced specials etc. That'd be my goal anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭whavin

I follow a few myself and I have to admit I've had more luck than not, tend not to follow there advice out right but after picking games that I fancy myself, I would pick a one or two games from a page that I wouldn't have thought of. Games in non premier league teams that I would have little knowledge of, championship, div 1, french etc, games likely to come under/above 2.5 goals or outright winners.

I suppose its up to yourself whether your comfortable or not with their predictions but I tend to go for 6 results or more with a €2 - €5 wedge. Decent returns have come in with little loss overall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Have to laugh at most of the pages. Anyone ever see that moron on the Winners Enclosure? Backs about a dozen horses a day, ask any sort of question about the selections and you get ripped to shreds. Remember he once put up an unraced 5/4 shot, commented it was a poor bet even if he won. Some people don't seem to understand that there exists bad bets even if they win.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Helpneeded86

A facebook page that reaches over 20k followers has huge potential for individuals to make money.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

I'm in a group at the moment, 11 thousand in it. Mostly horses but a bit of soccer too. Don't tend to stake too much on the tips but ive had a good few winners. If anyone wants a link they can PM me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

There's ones with 80k + likes.
    They post affiliate links which earns them 30% of there followers losses.

If 10% of the followers loose €10 a week. That's €24000 a week.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Yeah it all about Affiliate Marketing, i had my own website before doing this, got a few signups but did not make much money out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭finky1

i would be interested

• Registered Users Posts: 18,381 ✭✭✭✭kippy

There's ones with 80k + likes.
    They post affiliate links which earns them 30% of there followers losses.

If 10% of the followers loose €10 a week. That's €24000 a week.

I suppose the question in this scenario is how does the link between the subscribers and proving it was you who drove them to making the bet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

kippy wrote: »
    I suppose the question in this scenario is how does the link between the subscribers and proving it was you who drove them to making the bet?

If they sign up through an affiliate link the group who provides the link gets 30% of their losse for life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

gambling is the biggest silent disease in this country...

if you're actively gambling with any amounts i'll tell you what you should do: log all your wins and losses and publish them in public somewhere... come back to me in a few years and if you're in profit, i'll double whatever profit you're in :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

smemon wrote: »

if you're actively gambling with any amounts i'll tell you what you should do: log all your wins and losses and publish them in public somewhere... come back to me in a few years and if you're in profit, i'll double whatever profit you're in :pac:

How many years?

smemon wrote: »

Sounds good to me, i have all records of my bets and my turnover, up around 11% on turnover so far this year.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Professional-Gambling-Advice/238152066239831?fref=nf have a look at that and you will see someone winning long-term a few lads on boards including myself are in or have been in it and its definitely the real deal

markc91 wrote: »
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Professional-Gambling-Advice/238152066239831?fref=nf have a look at that and you will see someone winning long-term a few lads on boards including myself are in or have been in it and its definitely the real deal

If he has made 800,000 as he said in the last 3 years why would he need to broadcast it and charge other people for his info, surely 266 thousand per year would be good enough for him, why nickle and dime it for 10 Eur per client he gets to sign up to him.
    So he makes 266 thousand average per year, what is the turnover? he must be betting over 3 million turnover per year and be one of the greatest gamblers on the planet.
    What does he bet on, horses? because if your telling me that he has not been limited by all major online and offline bookmakers you are in cloud cuckooland.
    Basically a shill with a capital S, makes he laugh so many people are still taken in by this nonsense.

• Advertisement

If he has made 800,000 as he said in the last 3 years why would he need to broadcast it and charge other people for his info, surely 266 thousand per year would be good enough for him, why nickle and dime it for 10 Eur per client he gets to sign up to him.
    So he makes 266 thousand average per year, what is the turnover? he must be betting over 3 million turnover per year and be one of the greatest gamblers on the planet.
    What does he bet on, horses? because if your telling me that he has not been limited by all major online and offline bookmakers you are in cloud cuckooland.
    Basically a shill with a capital S, makes he laugh so many people are still taken in by this nonsense.
    Horses you joking! He bets on obscure football where an edge can be gained over the bookies by getting more information. He's lucky if an account lasts a bet or two. He pays people to set up accounts and gives them a percentage of what he turns over on that particular bookies. He is a pretty good gambler with 13/14 tips coming in this week alone and profiting 28k. I was unsure about signing up at the start as i had never payed for tips before but f**k me the amount of knowledge I've got from not just him but the other lads in the group has made me a much better gambler and anyone in the group would tell you the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Niallers87

I was just thinking of actually setting up a thread about this tonight. I came across a page called Gallop Scout on facebook, and as an incentive, he has emailed me twice with two tips in the last week and both have won. I was just wondering if anyone has any experience of this page. I think obviously there is a sign up fee for more regular updates?

Advertisement