Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Camera? **Please read OP first**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 justoon

I want to take up Photography as a hobby,
    i would like you to recommend a good camera for me to get.

Up to €1300 is what im willing to invest

Can anyone help please

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

I picked up a Nikon D3200 for circa €400 recently came with a 18-55mm VR lens. there have been some bundles in the Dublin stors that include two lenses for about €500

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,192 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what sort of camera do you currently have, and what do you like photographing?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 justoon

an all round camera,
    want to take scencic pictures but also family pics

ah i have some old canon dont no name
    and phone which is sh!T
    HOW DO I ADD PICS TO THIS

• Registered Users Posts: 19,648 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

To add pics you have to upload them to an image hosting site like photobucket.com then copy the URL link of the image once it's uploaded then paste the link into the box asking for that information when you click on the yellow 'insert image' button at the top of the message composing window.

The sort of photos you describe could be achieved with what are called advanced compacts. These are cameras with a good sized sensor and a good fixed lens on them, like the Olympus xz-2 http://www.amazon.co.uk/Olympus-XZ-2-Digital-Camera-i-Zuiko-Black/dp/B009C72TX8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1411584582&sr=8-1&keywords=xz-2

or the Sony RX100 or the M2 or M3 variants of that

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_8?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=sony%20100rx&sprefix=sony+100%2Caps%2C172

or at the top of the pack, the Panasonic DMC-LX100

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-DMC-LX100EBK-Digital-f1-7-2-8-VARIO-SUMMILUX-Black/dp/B00NLFJ2KU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1411584733&sr=8-1&keywords=panasonic+lx100

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

justoon wrote: »

Can anyone help please

That's a lot of money, almost full frame territory... but there is no need for that... get a couple of nice lenses along with a camera and the kit lens is what I would be thinking, but see what others here think :)

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭candytog

justoon wrote: »

Can anyone help please

If you want to get into photography as a hobby I would suggest starting with an entry level DSLR such as a Canon 1200d or a Nikon d3200. Then with the money you have left over you could invest in a couple of lenses, a good tripod, a hot shoe flash, and a decent bag.

Then in time you can sell the body and upgrade to a better model and you still have a great selection of accessories.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭mollymaloney

I am on the lookout for a good decent quality camera. What I want is something that will do photos good enough for to print in a parish magazine. Been told that something of at least 18mp would be wanted. Been looking at the 2 above, I have a liking for Sony products in general, but would either of those fit the bill of what I'm looking for, or indeed, what is the difference between them.
    Quality photos is my priority with some capacity for video.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,373 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I am about to become a grandfather, so am now looking to get a camera to photograph the new baby (and other nieces/nephews). Here's my criteria.
    • Small (has to fit in my pocket)
    • Zoom not important
    • Fast shot time (for children/babies)
    • Low light, a lot of indoor photos
    • Fairly cheap (I'll probably break it!)

Thinking the Fuji XF1 might suit - http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/x/fujifilm_xf1/features/page_05.html

I see they can be had for €160 or so. Looks like it ticks a lot of boxes, can any informed types give me opinions?

• Advertisement

I am on the lookout for a good decent quality camera. What I want is something that will do photos good enough for to print in a parish magazine. Been told that something of at least 18mp would be wanted. Been looking at the 2 above, I have a liking for Sony products in general, but would either of those fit the bill of what I'm looking for, or indeed, what is the difference between them.

Firstly those are both hyperzoom cameras so are great for shooting subjects REALLY far away like for wildlife for example. If you are primarily shooting people for a parish mag then the focal length is overkill and you would be better looking at at advanced compact with better image quality.

First thing to ask yourself is what will you be shooting and then we can suggest a camera to fit your needs.

Also whoever told you you need 18mp to print in a parish mag was probably trying to sell you a camera and doesn't actually know what they were talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

18MP is roughly A3 at print resolution. TBH, these days I don't think you'll find a camera with resolution low enough to create a print issue.

I am about to become a grandfather, so am now looking to get a camera to photograph the new baby (and other nieces/nephews). Here's my criteria.
    • Small (has to fit in my pocket)
    • Zoom not important
    • Fast shot time (for children/babies)
    • Low light, a lot of indoor photos
    • Fairly cheap (I'll probably break it!)

Thinking the Fuji XF1 might suit -

I see they can be had for €160 or so. Looks like it ticks a lot of boxes, can any informed types give me opinions?

Looks like a deal if it's only 160 euro. Having a quick look on amazon reviews here are my 2 cents.

[*]Small (has to fit in my pocket) - Yup
    [*]Zoom not important - 26mm - 100mm is a good range from large groups to headshots.
    [*]Fast shot time (for children/babies) - I assume you mean how fast it focuses and takes the shot? If so then yes.
    [*]Low light, a lot of indoor photos - It has a relatively large sensor and a f1.8 lens so looks like it would be very good in low light.
    [*]Fairly cheap (I'll probably break it!) - Buy a case!

One small thing is turning it on is a bit fiddely apparently, you have to twist the zoom ring or something.

I also love the look of the camera itself!

Many thanks for the replies--- much appreciated. I would be taking pictures of buildings, graveyard headstones, roadside monuments, etc---. Also of individuals and small groups. Wouldn't be photoing things at a distance that I would need powerful zoom. Pic quality is what's important-- both to print and upload to the web.

Many thanks for the replies--- much appreciated. I would be taking pictures of buildings, graveyard headstones, roadside monuments, etc---. Also of individuals and small groups. Wouldn't be photoing things at a distance that I would need powerful zoom. Pic quality is what's important-- both to print and upload to the web.

I would say look at sensor size (a far better indicator of image quality) and how wide it can shoot (for shooting large buildings when space might me an issue.

For example, the Sony RX100 has a 1 inch sensor which is massive so image quality would be great. however it is pricey and it's widest is 28mm equiv which isn't that wide.

The Canon s120 has a smaller but still large sensor and a wider angle lens (24mm) which might suit your needs better. It's also cheaper.

I'm sure there are others similar but that's what I would recommend you look into.

EDIT: the canon sensor is actually much smaller than I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭-Toppy-

So the significant other saw one of these in action the other day and was quite smitten so I am considering purchasing one of them (nothing fancy family/scenary/quirky angle shots)

https://www.sony.ie/electronics/cyber-shot-compact-cameras/dsc-qx30

http://www.sony.ie/electronics/interchangeable-lens-cameras/ilce-qx1-body-kit

Obviously the second requires a lens with stabilization (and I like the fact I can pop in a spare battery)

However I dont want to be paying massive money for the lens and the cheapest emount lens on the site is about 280 euro.

Just wondering has anyone any advice on the cameras and on cheaper lens for them?

Thanks
    Toppy

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Roofer Andy

I currently shoot with a Canon 5d mk 2 im now looking for a second 5d mk 3, if any one has a 5d mk 3 for sale, please get in touch.

Thanks

I currently shoot with a Canon 5d mk 2 im now looking for a second 5d mk 3, if any one has a 5d mk 3 for sale, please get in touch.

Thanks

I'm waiting for the mark 4 to come out. It's well overdue and would bring the used price down for the mark 3.

-Toppy- wrote: »
    So the significant other saw one of these in action the other day and was quite smitten so I am considering purchasing one of them (nothing fancy family/scenary/quirky angle shots)

https://www.sony.ie/electronics/cyber-shot-compact-cameras/dsc-qx30

http://www.sony.ie/electronics/interchangeable-lens-cameras/ilce-qx1-body-kit

Obviously the second requires a lens with stabilization (and I like the fact I can pop in a spare battery)

However I dont want to be paying massive money for the lens and the cheapest emount lens on the site is about 280 euro.

Just wondering has anyone any advice on the cameras and on cheaper lens for them?

Thanks
    Toppy

I think if you were going down the route of buying lenses then you should just get a dslr. The ergonomics of the mount, a big lens, and your phone would be awkward and expensive.

The first one looks cool, and it has a massive zoom range that you would have to pay a small fortune for with the second system.

Thing is though, what is the advantage of them? You can get a dedicated camera with wifi that can work with your phone anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Roofer Andy

candytog wrote: »
    I'm waiting for the mark 4 to come out. It's well overdue and would bring the used price down for the mark 3.

Thats a thought - thanks

• Advertisement

candytog wrote: »
    I think if you were going down the route of buying lenses then you should just get a dslr. The ergonomics of the mount, a big lens, and your phone would be awkward and expensive.

The first one looks cool, and it has a massive zoom range that you would have to pay a small fortune for with the second system.

Thing is though, what is the advantage of them? You can get a dedicated camera with wifi that can work with your phone anyway.

Thanks Candytog

Well it doesnt necessarily have to be mounted, you can literally hold the lens in your hand and you can viewfind with the phone

Advantage... significant other likes it :) but a lot of it is ease of use etc (well the person she saw using it swears by it)

I suppose the first one I am worried about battery life - i know you can swap the battery in the 2nd but it isnt clear if you can in the first
    Cheers
    Toppy

Thanks Candytog

Well it doesnt necessarily have to be mounted, you can literally hold the lens in your hand and you can viewfind with the phone

Advantage... significant other likes it :) but a lot of it is ease of use etc (well the person she saw using it swears by it)

I suppose the first one I am worried about battery life - i know you can swap the battery in the 2nd but it isnt clear if you can in the first
    Cheers
    Toppy

What's In The Box
    Rechargeable Battery Pack NP-BN
    Micro USB cable
    Wrist Strap

It must take the sony n type batteries according to the full specs so you can buy an extra one and swap it out.

EDIT:

178 g (Body only), 193 g (With battery and media)

it def has a removable battery.

Thanks CandyTog!

Thanks Candytog

Cheers
    Toppy

Youtube 'unboxing' videos are very helpful here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQxz7V09WUY

Been looking online at the Sony rx100 and I think it might be what I'm looking for. Pixmania are selling it for around 408 euro and eglobal central are retailing at 325--. That's a pretty significant difference. Only thing is that my suspicious mind tells me there is a catch somewhere. Anyone got any ideas about it-- is it just the paranoia returning with me?

Been looking online at the Sony rx100 and I think it might be what I'm looking for. Pixmania are selling it for around 408 euro and eglobal central are retailing at 325--. That's a pretty significant difference. Only thing is that my suspicious mind tells me there is a catch somewhere. Anyone got any ideas about it-- is it just the paranoia returning with me?

The possibility of VAT and duty being added upon arrival from HK?

Onestop Digital will refund these charges, if applied - http://www.onestop-digital.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=34106

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

Looks like a great camera. It shoots very wide (23mm) which is good for large buildings and landscapes, and also has a good zoom range.

Alternatives would be the panasonic TZ series and Sony hx models. All great cameras each with their own pros and cons.

It doesn't take a full size SD which is unusual so you would need an adaptor. however it has really good connectivity.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,693 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Pentax Q with 06 lenses. Its tiny and the lens is really versatile for travel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,648 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I would echo the suggestions I made her: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057306192

As a rule of thumb, the greater the zoom range the more likely compromises had to be made in the design and the lower the image quality. A zoom ratio of between 3.5 - 4.5 X seems to be about the limit before image quality drops.

Advertisement