Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The "Other Sports" Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭joebucks

UrbanSea wrote: »
    What do ye fancy for the rugby lads?

5/2 are great odds for a drop goal in England Wales game.. Gonna stick €10 on that myself

http://www.paddypower.com/bet/rugby-union/six-nations-matches?ev_oc_grp_ids=57678#link_2391083

I am only going to put a small bet on Wales(Wales always give it socks in Millenium arena), Scotland(france were shocking in Autumn and have a couple of dodgy players- Traille at fullback and Huget on the wing)and Italy(always are mad up for first game of championship and Ireland missing players in key positions.No.8 and fullback) to all beat their handicap.

Sean O'Brien is in terrific form and worth a punt for man of the match at 11/2 .Parisse at 14/1 is also worth considering as Ireland are missing a few key players in the backrow so he could dominate there and keep the score respectable for Italy.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭ScareGilly

joebucks wrote: »
    Sean O'Brien is in terrific form and worth a punt for man of the match at 11/2 .Parisse at 14/1 is also worth considering as Ireland are missing a few key players in the backrow so he could dominate there and keep the score respectable for Italy.

I wouldn't say we're missing players in the back row tbh, Leamy is the only one there's a doubt about whether he should be there imo.

Great shout about Parisse though, usually churns out one MoM award every 6 Nations, and with O'Leary at scrum half I can see Parisse and Zanni targeting him and Sexton.. Can't see him winning it against Ireland, but worth a shot anyways...

Counted the money I've saved over the last few months, 100 euro in my pocket for betting now.. I've gone with a 50 euro double on Ireland and France to win at the weekend. Only wins me a tenner, but I really can't see Scotland or Italy even having a chance in the games.

Since this is under Other Sports, I've put 50 euro on the Anderson Silva vs. Vitor Belfort Middleweight Championship fight at UFC 126 not to go the distance, again, only wins me 15 euro but I can't see it going to a decision whatsoever.

Stuck a cheeky 1 euro accumulator on Belfort, Rocha, Griffin and Bader to win on Saturday night, wins me 89.58, can't see it coming through, but might as well, its only a euro :P

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Con1110

Gone with
    England -4
    Ireland -12
    France -14

20euro stake
    odds just above 6/1

ScareGilly wrote: »
    I've gone with a 50 euro double on Ireland and France to win at the weekend. Only wins me a tenner, but I really can't see Scotland or Italy even having a chance in the games.
    Was a bit worried with 10 minutes to go :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

Whats the crack with the super bowl lads?

I've never even seen an american football game, but wanna have a small bet and a look at tonights game to see what its all about.

So any recommended bets?

• Advertisement

Don't really have a clue about American Football but I just put a fiver on Roethlisburger for MVP at 3/1..

Just put another fiver on the MVP to thank the coaches first in his speech at 8/1

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Sir Vival

France(-1) @10/11 against us on sunday... Can't wait til the alternative handicaps become available. With our scrum and total lack of creativity the French should be beating us by at least 10pts. Think we'll up our game but can't see getting anywhere near them. If they turn up, we're gone.

What ye think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Personally, I can't bring myself to back against Ireland in anything. But I would expect France to hammer the shíte out of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Sir Vival

Sir Vival wrote: »
    France(-1) @10/11 against us on sunday... Can't wait til the alternative handicaps become available. With our scrum and total lack of creativity the French should be beating us by at least 10pts. Think we'll up our game but can't see getting anywhere near them. If they turn up, we're gone.

What ye think?

Line has gone to France(-2) @10/11 now. I've taken that, can only see the line going one way over the next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,836 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

anyone got thoughts on the darts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭TheJackAttack

Scotland, France and England winning margin of 1-10 pays 28/1 ..I think this is a decent bet

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Cartel Mike

England -22 is a clever hcap against Italy.
    1st impressions naturally is that its too much.... but then i'm not too sure.
    Firstly, England aren't gonna make the same handling errors against Italy that we did.
    They're a stone wall in defence.
    They're at home.
    Wilkinson's gonna have a field day ,and, Italy aren't gonna score a try .
    The only thing Italy have in their favour is that they will rack up a few 3pointers themselves.
    Lets say Italy score 4 pens = 12 points, to cover the hcap England would need 35 points = 3 trys and 5 pens. Thats do-able.

Italy are a funny team , its hard to gauge them. What are the thoughts on this one guys?

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Cartel Mike

My heart is giving Ireland the edge over France .
    I suppose i'm remembering that the boys can raise it when they need to.
    They put in a great shift against the All blacks in the autum friendlies even though they lost and if they start off like that they'll win.

France were a disgrace against Australia in the same friendlies and Scotland put 3 past them last weekend(at home).
    Theres just something too pissy about the French.
    I'm leaning towards Ire +3 at the mo.

England -22 is a clever hcap against Italy.
    1st impressions naturally is that its too much.... but then i'm not too sure.
    Firstly, England aren't gonna make the same handling errors against Italy that we did.
    They're a stone wall in defence.
    They're at home.
    Wilkinson's gonna have a field day ,and, Italy aren't gonna score a try .
    The only thing Italy have in their favour is that they will rack up a few 3pointers themselves.
    Lets say Italy score 4 pens = 12 points, to cover the hcap England would need 35 points = 3 trys and 5 pens. Thats do-able.

Italy are a funny team , its hard to gauge them. What are the thoughts on this one guys?

Wilkinson is on the bench and England were no great shakes against Wales. Italy played well against Ireland and you have to credit them for the aggression and pressure they put on Ireland to force the errors. Parisse had a great game against Ireland and would be streets ahead of any English backrow player and will cause Eng problems. So would fancy Italy to beat the 22pt handicap in this one.

The Ireland France game is very difficult to call as you would fancy the French pack to mill the Irish pack. If Ireland are to step up and compete with the French pack, it is gonna require a huge performance from Paul O'Connell so if you fancy an Irish win, O'Connell Man of the match at 16/1 is definitely worth a punt.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Esox Lucias

Any thoughts on the Ire v Fra U20s game tonight lads?

At first I thought Fra -1 was a great spread. But a mate that plays for Buccs said the Ire U20s looked very impressive when playing Buccs first team awhile ago.

Anyone with some expertise on U20s on here would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭fkiely

Any thoughts on the Ire v Fra U20s game tonight lads?

At first I thought Fra -1 was a great spread. But a mate that plays for Buccs said the Ire U20s looked very impressive when playing Buccs first team awhile ago.

Anyone with some expertise on U20s on here would be great.

Not having a wager on it myself after getting burnt by Leinster last night but if I was I'd take Ireland to win outright. Decent side and the French can be hit and miss and that level (much like at senior). Won't be an easy game and a bit too unpredictable for my liking but good luck with whatever you go for.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭modmuffin

Going for:

France -6 (6/5) - Think they will win by 7-12 points
    Bolton v Everton 0 - 0 (8/1) - No saha, everton have only won once away, nil all looks solid.
    Dublin +3 (4/5) - weak waterford team out and the dubs could run them close.
    Chelsea to beat Fulham tomorrow night (3/4) - shold bounce back after liverpool game

€20 returns €1260.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Cricket WC at 8.30 am, think Holland are a little overpriced at 5/1 against the West Indies, Dwayne Bravo is out for the Windies and they are unpredictable at the best of times]

Ryan Ten Doeschate is in superb form and the Netherlands really do have a shout here i feel

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭TheHopeful

Hey guys, probably going to put on the biggest bet iv ever made tomorrow, just lookin for a few opinions first.

An accum:
    Its Selby to beat Hendry 2/9
    Irish winner of the Magners League 1/4: ( Munster and Leinster will prob both have home semi-finals and so have a good chance of meetin in the final, and Ulster have a decent chance of finishin top 4 too )
    Murphy +4.5 frames v O' Sullivan 4/11: ( I actually think Murphy will beat him outright but am playin it a bit safe, Ronnie is 2nd fav for the tournament which is crazy imo, id have him 4th r 5th fav ).
    Williams to win 3rd quarter 1/3: ( Which means he has to finsih off Cope who he leads 7-1, and then beat Allen or Hawkins. I saw both their matches and both were poor, and ridiculously lucky to win ).

So what do ye think? The only slightly dodgy one is the Murphy one I think, the other 3 are great bets imo. Really can't see them losin!:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Not too sure on the snooker bets as I've only seen O'Sullivan play that Austrian lad so far. Murphy is decent though and will probably keep it close. If O'Sullivan does turn up he could whipe him out but he didn't look too impressive in the first round; he was good though. I'd imagine Munster / Leinster will surely win the Magners league! Based on what I've seen of the rugby this year Leinster could go on to win that and the heineken cup

• Advertisement

jive wrote: »
    Not too sure on the snooker bets as I've only seen O'Sullivan play that Austrian lad so far. Murphy is decent though and will probably keep it close. If O'Sullivan does turn up he could whipe him out but he didn't look too impressive in the first round; he was good though. I'd imagine Munster / Leinster will surely win the Magners league! Based on what I've seen of the rugby this year Leinster could go on to win that and the heineken cup
    Ronnie beat Dale(Welsh) 10-2. He was impressive in fairness and could have had 2 147's, but Dale is a very poor player and I expected a win there even tho Ronnie hadn't won a ranking tournament match since last November I think. Murphy has been in great form this season, and won his 1st round match 10-1. I thinks its a 50/50 match, and id slightly favour Murphy so I think the +4.5 is a great headstart. Ronnie is Ronnie tho so the bookies have got a bit carried away with his 1st round match imo. I think snooker is one of the easiest sports to make money on personally.

As for the Magners league, when do Munster ever lose in Thomand? And how often do Leinster lose at home? So it shud be an all Irish final. And, in the off chance one of them lose then one of the Irish teams will be at home in the final providing they finish 1/2 so ud still expect the Irish team to win. Hopefully Ulster can cling on in the top 4. I want to get this bet on early 2mro because Ulster are at home to Connacht 2mro evenin(Fri evenin) and so hopefully can get a bonus point win. And Munster( with a very strong squad, no startin 15 named yet) are away to the Ospreys(who are Ulsters main top 4 challengers) on Sat. The top 4 will probably be Munster Leinster Cardiff Ulster/Ospreys

I have just been on oddschecker and WOW!!! Anyone thats on Boylesports then get on asap, they are offering Williams to win quarter 3 at 4/9! I know snooker pretty well and was considering PP's 1/3 a good bet. That is a massive price!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭jonnygiles

Anybody thats interested in having a snooker bet i think John Higgins at 10/11 is value against O Sullivan

• Registered Users Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Rafael Nadal v Juan Martin del Potro

Racing Post tipped Del Porto (4 point tip) to win.
    Odds of 9/2

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

^ Nadal wins without even hitting a shot!! Del Potro withdrew with a hip injury. Did the bookies void the bet or take the money? I think it's a bit nasty if they don't void it tbh

Hurricanes +5 and the Reds -14 both look good tomorrow morning in Super Rugby.

fkiely wrote: »
    Hurricanes +5 and the Reds -14 both look good tomorrow morning in Super Rugby.

Yeah I like the Hurricanes at +5. Blues are missing a few key players so I reckon under 49.5 pts at 5/6 in this one is a decent bet too.

If Reds are to win easily then I reckon Ioane will be on the scoresheet. 11/10 for him. Rebels usually leak alot of points early on so gonna back over 24.5 pts in the first half.

The Lions Cheetahs game is likely to be a humdinger- both sides have very porous defences so will go large on over 50pts in that match. Also gonna back Sarel Pretorious to score. He's on fire for the Cheetahs

Highlanders and the Crusaders both +2 on Sat are both worth backing too. Highlanders up against Chiefs who are just back from Sth Africa tour so likely to be jetlagged and Crusaders have Read back at no.8 so fancy them against Stormers

joebucks wrote: »
    Yeah I like the Hurricanes at +5. Blues are missing a few key players so I reckon under 49.5 pts at 5/6 in this one is a decent bet too.

If Reds are to win easily then I reckon Ioane will be on the scoresheet. 11/10 for him. Rebels usually leak alot of points early on so gonna back over 24.5 pts in the first half.
    </p>
    Truely excellent stuff mate, well done. Shame about the Hurricanes at the end there with Keats fumbling over the line (between that and his yellow, not the best game for him!). The Reds made us sweat at the end but held on thankfully. Should be a cracker later on and I'd have to fancy the Cheetahs although might follow you on the overs.

jive wrote: »
    ^ Nadal wins without even hitting a shot!! Del Potro withdrew with a hip injury. Did the bookies void the bet or take the money? I think it's a bit nasty if they don't void it tbh

got the money refunded (phew!)

• Advertisement

A few big tips from bettingzone.co.uk
    Pacquiao to beat Mosley on points at 15/8 (bet365).
    Younger and fresher but Mosley has a serious chin, size advantages and has never been stopped.

With a fight against welterweight rival Floyd Mayweather seemingly further away than ever for the moment given 'Pretty Boy' Floyd's current legal strife, Manny defends his WBO welterweight crown against 46-6-1 (39) Mosley.
    It's an intriguing battle given that Mosley, a three-weight world champion, remains a marquee name who will have significant height and reach advantages. And the California man is certainly losing no sleep over his underdog status.
    Shane's chin has never been found wanting at this level (never stopped in 54 pro fights) and I reckon he still has enough about him to be competitive on Saturday night.
    He never looked like beating Mayweather last year but at the same time Mayweather never looked like forcing a stoppage either. This really is Shane's last hurrah and while I don't think he has the speed to repel the rampaging Filipino I do fancy him to go out on his shield and therefore reckon the Pacquiao points win looks the way to go.

4pts Walsall to be relegated at 9/4 (Blue Square).

5pts Hereford/Draw in double chance market at 4/5 (Paddy Power, Victor Chandler).
    Stats all point to this being the way to end the season.

Advertisement