Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post-cleaning oiling of the barrel

• 20-03-2020 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

Is there anything wrong with using a light layer of WD40 inside the barrel after cleaning or would something like the Brunox bodywork spray be better suited? I know actual gun oil is what should be used but I don't have any at hand only the above and some Hoppes bore cleaner.

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

For storing?

If so then a light layer of something viscous like Young's oil on a patch (or two) and stored barrel down.

If its just to finish a cleaning then steer away from oil and wipe out with meth spirits, or similar, a few times to remove any residue/oil.

I wouldn't use WD40 on any part of my firearms, ever. Just a personal choice especially when i have oils specifically designed to be used on firearms.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Bagpipe

I'd be shooting every 3 or 4 days so just to finish the cleaning could i use white spirits or thinners and a few patches?
    I did a bit of googling on the WD40 and overall some people recommended it and some didn't but I tend to always count the negatives over the positive :D

I prefer methylated spirits and run three patches of it through the barrel after all my cleaning is done. As said above it clears out any residue from the cleaning and as meth spirits simply evaporates it leaves no trace itself.

WD40 is an all purpose oil. For the same price you can use Brunox which is designed for guns. Now it might be the same stuff, who am i to know, but as one is marketed and sold specifically for guns i'll stick with it. Also, as you said, with WD40 you'll have some for it and some not for it, but with Brunoz or similar gun oils you have people that might use it or prefer something else, but no one says never to use it. If that makes sense.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Cass wrote: »
    I prefer methylated spirits and run three patches of it through the barrel after all my cleaning is done. As said above it clears out any residue from the cleaning and as meth spirits simply evaporates it leaves no trace itself.

WD40 is an all purpose oil. For the same price you can use Brunox which is designed for guns. Now it might be the same stuff, who am i to know, but as one is marketed and sold specifically for guns i'll stick with it. Also, as you said, with WD40 you'll have some for it and some not for it, but with Brunoz or similar gun oils you have people that might use it or prefer something else, but no one says never to use it. If that makes sense.

It makes perfect sense ;) I have the Brunox for wiping down the exteriors of my firearms but Ill try the spirits! Thanks very much again Cass

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭The pigeon man

After cleaning pour down some 3 in 1 oil and bore snake out.

I've used this for years and I have no rust or pitting in my barrels

• Advertisement

Bagpipe wrote: »
    It makes perfect sense ;) I have the Brunox for wiping down the exteriors of my firearms but Ill try the spirits! Thanks very much again Cass
    NO, no, no ................. no. :D

Meth spirits on the inside. You said in your opening post for the inside of the barrel.
    Bagpipe wrote: »
    Is there anything wrong with using a light layer of WD40 inside the barrel after cleaning or would something like the Brunox bodywork spray be better suited? .
    Outside use Brunox, inside use meth spirits to finish cleaning.

Don't mix them up either. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Max H

Balistol

Cass wrote: »
    NO, no, no ................. no. :D

Meth spirits on the inside. You said in your opening post for the inside of the barrel.

Outside use Brunox, inside use meth spirits to finish cleaning.

Don't mix them up either. :cool:

Bore cleaner then spirits on the inside? (I mean as in yes i'll use the spirits on the inside) :D
    Brunox with a cloth on the outside?

After cleaning pour down some 3 in 1 oil and bore snake out.

I've used this for years and I have no rust or pitting in my barrels
    Max H wrote: »
    Balistol

Ill use the 3in1 tonight as its too cold to nip out for the white spirits.

Max i'm not sure my dealer stocks it but i'll keep my eye out !

Thanks for the replies guys.

Been using Balistol for two years on a Browning. It's all you'll need

• Advertisement

U can order online

• Registered Users Posts: 14,934 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

WD40 and gun cleaning should NEVER be in the same sentence.;)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭yubabill

Do NOT oil the bore between regular use of the gun (I mean rifle for the purposes here).

Meths will remove the gunk and then evaporate.

The bore needs oil once in a blue moon, but should be removed before shooting.

Oil is used for long-term storage, but if you shoot the gun with oil in the bore, there is a chance of ruining the barrel as the bullet will push the oil between it and the barrel, causing a permanent pressure ring in the metal which ruins the bore permanently. I know a guy who this happened to (I told him how I was oiling my bore at the time (30-odd years ago), but he forgot to remove it before shooting, rifle was scrap after).

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Brontosaurus

What's the difference between gun oil and any other oil like WD40? Are they not all petroleum/hydrocarbon based? I mean, viscosity and evaporation rates will be different between different oils and grease, but ultimately I don't think you're going to ruin a gun whether you use tactical uber-lubricating assault oil or diesel fuel like dodgy characters in the mid east.

I don't use WD-40 mind, but people seem to get overly mystical over what is essentially just various forms of liquid hydrocarbons. And I wouldn't leave your barrel oiled up before firing either, just for long-term storage, but unless you've soaked the thing to the point it's dripping out either end, a weeks-old homeopathic hint of oil isn't going to blow up your rifle or set it on fire like I've actually heard people claim.

Simply put, why use something not designed for a gun (regardless of its baser make up) when for the same price you can use a firearm specific oil.

Chances are your firearms, even the cheap ones, will have set you back a few quid so why cheap out when it comes to keeping them right.

Some of the stuff i've seen that removes the bluing on barrels, causes rust, doesn't film the firearm resulting in rust, etc is quite a bit. I always think why wouldn't the owner just invest in the proper stuff, and if it costs a few quid more then so be it, and avoid the possibility of this happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

What's the difference between gun oil and any other oil like WD40? Are they not all petroleum/hydrocarbon based? I mean, viscosity and evaporation rates will be different between different oils and grease, but ultimately I don't think you're going to ruin a gun whether you use tactical uber-lubricating assault oil or diesel fuel like dodgy characters in the mid east.

I don't use WD-40 mind, but people seem to get overly mystical over what is essentially just various forms of liquid hydrocarbons. And I wouldn't leave your barrel oiled up before firing either, just for long-term storage, but unless you've soaked the thing to the point it's dripping out either end, a weeks-old homeopathic hint of oil isn't going to blow up your rifle or set it on fire like I've actually heard people claim.

WD-40 is not an oil its water displacement formula 40. It leaves a waxy residue which attracts dirt and can result in firearm mechanisms becoming gunked up and dangerous. Ive seen many actions become so filthy from it that its cause accidental discharges.

Bores should be cleaned and oiled after use and then simply run a dry patch through the bore the next time you want to use it. Oil in the bore can cause a spike in pressure and a change in the poi. cleaning it out with acetone etc is unnessasary and could leave it more likely to rust etc. A dry clean patch is more than enough to remove the oil.

Quick follow up question, I presume I would be okay in using the 3 in 1 to lubricate my shotgun as i noticed 2 large scrapes on the top of the inside of the receiver where I somehow missed when oiling the first time around. Or could i even use machinery grease for that top part of the receiver?

Advertisement