Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Getting quicker

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭EoghanS

New App, tbh its a pain in the hole:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Asus1

Handed in the renewal for the rifle this morning.Licence isn't out till April so was surprised to get renewal form last week.Now lets see how long it takes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Asus1 wrote: »
    Handed in the renewal for the rifle this morning.Licence isn't out till April so was surprised to get renewal form last week.Now lets see how long it takes.

Given that they have 3 months to make a decision, getting the form 3 months early makes sense. Nice to see that happening to be honest.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Given that they have 3 months to make a decision, getting the form 3 months early makes sense. Nice to see that happening to be honest.

Yeah your probably right never thought of the 3 month wait to say yes or no.

Well got letter to say my application has been received at ...... garda station.Letter went on to state pulse number and that they have the maximum of 3 months to make decision.
    Now i handed that in the 17th of last month and this letter is marked the 6th of February.Does this mean that the process starts from the 6th,if so where was my application for the last 3.5 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Well got letter to say my application has been received at ...... garda station.Letter went on to state pulse number and that they have the maximum of 3 months to make decision.
    Now i handed that in the 17th of last month and this letter is marked the 6th of February.Does this mean that the process starts from the 6th,if so where was my application for the last 3.5 weeks.

Starts from the 6th Feb not the 17th when you handed it in. As for where it was, likely on someones desk waiting to be signed. That being said, IF it takes the full 3 months from the 6th Feb, you could be looking at having an unlicensed firearm in your possession. Crazy stuff.

Out of curiosity, when did you receive your renewal form in the post?

ZiabR wrote: »
    Starts from the 6th Feb not the 17th when you handed it in. As for where it was, likely on someones desk waiting to be signed. That being said, IF it takes the full 3 months from the 6th Feb, you could be looking at having an unlicensed firearm in your possession. Crazy stuff.

Out of curiosity, when did you receive your renewal form in the post?

I received it a couple of days before handing it in.So if they take the full 3 months i will be in possession of a firearm with no licence.Mine is out sometime in April (dont have licence to hand) but those 3.5 weeks with the application doing nothing is the problem why ill be unlicensed and through no fault of my own.

I received it a couple of days before handing it in.So if they take the full 3 months i will be in possession of a firearm with no licence.Mine is out sometime in April (dont have licence to hand) but those 3.5 weeks with the application doing nothing is the problem why ill be unlicensed and through no fault of my own.

Exactly, but in the eyes of the law, that wont matter. What I would do, and it is what I will be doing myself is have your GunClub or a RFD on standby for a locker incase you need to store it temporarily while you wait for the licence. Its shi*ty but at least you will be covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

hand it in to an rfd if you can when the licence runs out, considering the state of play now i wouldnt take any chances

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Make sure you post the bill too for storage to the super. No your fault that they cant do their paperwork on time under some very generous time allowance .You did your bit,at least they can do theirs on time as well.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement

Well the renewal grant came today with a date of the 12/2/2020 the letter of notification that they received my renewal request was dated 6/2/2020 and i handed it in the 17th of last month.So overall it took a little over a month which is about as long as it takes me to get a substitution here.All my panicking was a bit premature.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Max H

Getting slower i reckon.

This time last year from handing in application to licence in hand was 3 weeks

So far this year for a Semi Auto, 5 weeks and i have heard nothing, other that one of my referees confirmed that they had been contacted by the Gard about 1 week after i submitted my application.

Very much depends on where you are it seems. My last Substitute was submitted on the 22nd Nov 2019 and I didn't get the licence until late January. New applications are taking the full 12 weeks where I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

I think it's just down to the individuals processing and not a 'policy', added into the mix would be the operation of your local Garda Station. If your not going directly to the District HQ then its another link in the chain.

I deal with the District HQ and with the exception of one useless lazy individual, all my applications and renewals have been processed very quickly.

My recent renewal, from time of dropping in the form was about three weeks to the date of me receiving my grant letter.
    Basicly applied, 10 days later, I received the receipt of application, the following week, the grant letter was in the post.

Now just to get confirmation of NV approval!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

I think it's just down to the individuals processing and not a 'policy', added into the mix would be the operation of your local Garda Station. If your not going directly to the District HQ then its another link in the chain.

I deal with the District HQ and with the exception of one useless lazy individual, all my applications and renewals have been processed very quickly.

My recent renewal, from time of dropping in the form was about three weeks to the date of me receiving my grant letter.
    Basicly applied, 10 days later, I received the receipt of application, the following week, the grant letter was in the post.

Now just to get confirmation of NV approval!

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭dunner515

I applied for a new application for a 12G semi. 7 weeks later and I haven't heard a thing. I did call into the FO on week 3 to see what stage my application was at and he said all looked good. Haven't recieved a letter stating they have received my application so have called into the station 3 times over the last week and haven't been able to get hold of the FO

dunner515 wrote: »
    I applied for a new application for a 12G semi. 7 weeks later and I haven't heard a thing. I did call into the FO on week 3 to see what stage my application was at and he said all looked good. Haven't recieved a letter stating they have received my application so have called into the station 3 times over the last week and haven't been able to get hold of the FO

What area as a matter of interest

Max H wrote: »
    What area as a matter of interest

Westmeath

Be six weeks soon. Wondering at what stage do I start making polite enquiries as to what is happening.

So I called into the FO to see about my 1st time new application as it was submitted 2 months ago. The application is still sitting on his desk, he said I should hear something in the next month or two. I said is it not considered an automatic refusal after the 3 months and he said no, some applications don't get processed for up to 12 months. I personally think he was just trying to fob me off. Anyone any advice?

• Advertisement

https://www.garda.ie/en/about-us/online-services/firearms-licensing/commissioner-s-guidelines-2018.pdf

Page 13, i would remind the FO of the following

COMMUNICATION OF THE DECISION ON THE GRANTING OF A FIREARMS
    CERTIFICATE
    Section 3 of the Firearms Act 1925 as amended, provides that a decision on an
    application for a firearms certificate or its renewal shall be given within 3 months from
    the date on which the applicant submitted a completed application. However, every effort
    shall be made by issuing persons to ensure that all new applications and applications to
    renew are processed as soon as is practicable. If a decision on an application is not
    made within 3 months, then under section 15A of the Firearms Act 1925, as inserted by
    section 43 of the Criminal Justice Act 2006 this is deemed to be a refusal.

Basically from The Garda Commissioners guidelines it is a written act/law a decision SHALL be given in three months.

I am at 6 weeks and waiting, i will be phoning shortly myself to enquire

I would also like to mention and I'll quote the FO "when lads go to buy a gun they just want it then and there. If they put pressure on us to issue them a licence we just automatically refuse it"

• Registered Users Posts: 4 robbiearmst

Applied for a new license for a .308 on the 2nd March, received the grant letter on the 9th March

I have 1 week left within the 3 month time period, I haven't heard a peep from the F.O or the Super.

Anyone any suggestions?

And I just want to clear things up, does the 3 month period start from when I handed in the application or from when it lands on the supers desk?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

dunner515 wrote: »
    I have 1 week left within the 3 month time period, I haven't heard a peep from the F.O or the Super.

Anyone any suggestions?

And I just want to clear things up, does the 3 month period start from when I handed in the application or from when it lands on the supers desk?

The three month period starts when the Gardai enter your renewal form onto the Pulse system.

Phone your FO and ask what the story is. Don't ignore it.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    The three month period starts when the Gardai enter your renewal form onto the Pulse system.

Phone your FO and ask what the story is. Don't ignore it.

It's not a renewal, it's a first time application. Would that make a difference?

according to Gard comish guidlines its 3 months from date you SUBMITTED application

application for a firearms certificate or its renewal shall be given within 3 months from
    the date on which the applicant submitted a completed application. However, every effort
    shall be made by issuing persons to ensure that all new applications and applications to
    renew are processed as soon as is practicable. If a decision on an application is not
    made within 3 months, then under section 15A of the Firearms Act 1925, as inserted by

• Advertisement

Max H wrote: »

That's what I thought.
    Can an F.O deliberately just stall an application without handing it to the Super in that 3 month time period?

Advertisement