Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Athlone thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭rn

Suppose the only good thing is he's still minister during the clusteromnishambles going on in Dail Eireann at the moment and he'll remain in the job for duration of this event.

Meanwhile Robert troy is busy telephoning people in the council from the relative safety of mullingar, Dublin or anywhere except Athlone. Some leadership there...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭veryangryman

rn wrote: »
    Suppose the only good thing is he's still minister during the clusteromnishambles going on in Dail Eireann at the moment and he'll remain in the job for duration of this event.

Meanwhile Robert troy is busy telephoning people in the council from the relative safety of mullingar, Dublin or anywhere except Athlone. Some leadership there...

Troys loyalties are to his commuters in Mullingar - kept seeing his ad on the M4 express bus. I doubt he knows directions to Athlone.

No sign of any of these gowls creating constituency offices or clinics in Athlone either. Town to goto sh1te till the next election.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭horseofstone

Troys loyalties are to his commuters in Mullingar - kept seeing his ad on the M4 express bus. I doubt he knows directions to Athlone.

No sign of any of these gowls creating constituency offices or clinics in Athlone either. Town to goto sh1te till the next election.
    Robert Troy has a constituency office in Athlone beside Carey's pub .

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Town to goto sh1te till the next election.

The idea that Boxer Moran was the making of Athlone is a joke. He got money spent on flood defences, which are not finished for this flood. Many breakfast rolls sold to lads in hi viz. Not exactly a huge boost to the economy.

The idea that Boxer Moran was the making of Athlone is a joke. He got money spent on flood defences, which are not finished for this flood. Many breakfast rolls sold to lads in hi viz. Not exactly a huge boost to the economy.

Actually he is also actively making cosmetic improvements to the town e.g approach roads, roundabouts, amenities, pushed for fast-tracking the cycle track extension and regularly uses his Saturdays with his sons to tidy up residential areas around the town.

Regardless of the opinions on Boxer, having zero TDs for a town this large is a bad thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭White lighting

Actually he is also actively making cosmetic improvements to the town e.g approach roads, roundabouts, amenities, pushed for fast-tracking the cycle track extension and regularly uses his Saturdays with his sons to tidy up residential areas around the town.

Regardless of the opinions on Boxer, having zero TDs for a town this large is a bad thing.

Ah cop yourself on coming on here spouting facts dont you know the thing to do now is bash boxer and praise that sinn fein yoke that wont do a tap for the place

regularly uses his Saturdays with his sons to tidy up residential areas around the town.

This is true - elected as a member of our legislative body and appointed a government minister, he is often to be seen in a hi viz picking up litter.

No feckin idea that he is no longer just a town councillor. Well, he'll no longer be a TD either shortly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Ah cop yourself on coming on here spouting facts dont you know the thing to do now is bash boxer and praise that sinn fein yoke that wont do a tap for the place

She has been elected to the national legislator, part of the problem is parish pump politics. Let local councillors do what they are paid for.

This is true - elected as a member of our legislative body and appointed a government minister, he is often to be seen in a hi viz picking up litter.

No feckin idea that he is no longer just a town councillor. Well, he'll no longer be a TD either shortly.

When he was a councillor he looked for government funding repeatedly but fell on deaf ears. Now that he has some power, he's putting it to good use.

No idea what your issue is with someone helping make an area clean and nicer to live in. I'm the first to admit that I don't get involved, but more power to anyone who does. Shows that the notions of the bigger job never got to him. Hopefully his young lad follows on from his good job.

He might be better suited to local council than the Dail but there is no denying the trojan work he puts in. Absolutely breaking his boll*x for the people effected with the flooding in the locality these past days/weeks. Never got the hump over the pathetic lack of support he got from the town in the recent election. Fair play to him.

Hopefully he gets a nice warm shower somewhere soon.

https://twitter.com/kevinboxermoran/status/1232982769778774016

• Advertisement

Word from Wolfe Tone terrace - they complained that the Shannon Barrier created to save them from flooding was not glass/seethrough.

"It blocks our view of the River"

See it plenty if they take it down and it enters your kitchen love. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

I read the bauld Boxer calling for pay allowances for army to be increased now due to all the work they are doing during the floods. If he had supported them before then I have no doubt that he'd have been elected again

Saint_Mel wrote: »
    I read the bauld Boxer calling for pay allowances for army to be increased now due to all the work they are doing during the floods. If he had supported them before then I have no doubt that he'd have been elected again

Maybe he suspects there will be a return to the polls soon.

He's ex army AFAIK so will obviously back them up to the hilt

He's ex army AFAIK so will obviously back them up to the hilt

He went MIA when a vote was called to address Army pay and allowances.

He went MIA when a vote was called to address Army pay and allowances.

Id imagine being in gov means you have to vote for some stuff you don't like to stay in power. Likely got concessions as a result.

Lucky for us no wars occurred during this time

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Mearings

Word from Wolfe Tone terrace - they complained that the Shannon Barrier created to save them from flooding was not glass/seethrough.

"It blocks our view of the River"

See it plenty if they take it down and it enters your kitchen love. :eek:

Not all the residents, a minority.

Is their something going on in town.?? I'm meeting a lot of loud boisterous people wearing jerseys with paint on their faces on church street and in the Athlone Town centre. Seems strange.

Is their something going on in town.?? I'm meeting a lot of loud boisterous people wearing jerseys with paint on their faces on church street and in the Athlone Town centre. Seems strange.

What time did you see them in town at? Marist are playing a Leinster Semi Final today but thats throwing in now in Kinnegad afaik.

What time did you see them in town at? Marist are playing a Leinster Semi Final today but thats throwing in now in Kinnegad afaik.

About 12.30 to 1pm.they all looked about 18 or so, male and female and very loud and noisy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Rag week?

Rag week?

That was a couple of weeks back.

Some IRadio style promotion maybe. Or students union elections

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Schools game. The Jes from Galway are playing in Athlone today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Anybody know what this new development around Golden island will be? There was mention of something on Westmeath independent

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Blanco100 wrote: »
    Anybody know what this new development around Golden island will be? There was mention of something on Westmeath independent

That's want to fix the flooding issues for the land at the back of Golden Island first, I'm sure. I would assume that's where any large scale development would take place.

Blanco100 wrote: »

Demolish the Diskin complex and build new shops and offices there.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Demolish the Diskin complex and build new shops and offices there.

I heard something about that around about a year or 2 ago. I wonder will they assist in relocating the businesses that currently occupy the centre?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

L.Jenkins wrote: »
    I heard something about that around about a year or 2 ago. I wonder will they assist in relocating the businesses that currently occupy the centre?

It is an awful eye sore in fairness in this day and age and theres a fair bit of land.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

I understand Mr Price may move their retail unit to their warehouse. Talks of a retail park going in on the Diskin Centre. With so much empty retail units over in Monksland you would wonder about the logic. Time will tell. Another issue would be traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭cena

I hear Inglot makeup has closed shop in the town centre

Advertisement