Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good areas to buy a house in Derry / Londonderry

• 16-07-2018 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭

Hi folks,

What areas in the city are good for house buying. Also not too expensive. I've seen some for sale in Foxhill. What would that area be like?

What areas should be avoided also?

Many Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Few more details maybe needed before I can answer. Where would you be working? Kids needing to go to school? Are you bringing a southern reg car up?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,924 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

And budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭GeneticDeviant

We would be moving from Letterkenny, we both work here in Letterkenny. We would have a southern Reg car. I'm English if that makes a difference, my wife's a Donegal lass. We have a 2 year old.

Do you definitely want to move into NI, or might you consider staying in ROI but on the outskirts of Derry.

IF you work in Letterkenny, why are you moving away from it?

If you're working in Letterkenny I'd suggest somewhere on the cityside, closer to the border. You'll save 30-40 mins everyday on your round commute at least. You will pay slightly more for a house in the cityside however. I live in Culmore and while pricing houses we found that it was around 10k cheaper to buy a similar 3 bed semi in the waterside.

Whilst I'd not call Derry dangerous at all, I would be slightly wary of parking a southern reg car in (very few)certain areas of the waterside, but it's maybe better to be safe than sorry. In saying that, a lot of the newer estates would be mixed and very safe, Foxhill being one of them, for example.

Nightlife in the waterside isn't great either, most decent pubs and restaurants are in the city centre and surrounding cityside areas.

Do you want your child going to a Catholic, Protestant or mixed school? Or does it not matter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

irish_goat wrote: »
    If you're working in Letterkenny I'd suggest somewhere on the cityside, closer to the border. You'll save 30-40 mins everyday on your round commute at least. You will pay slightly more for a house in the cityside however. I live in Culmore and while pricing houses we found that it was around 10k cheaper to buy a similar 3 bed semi in the waterside.

Whilst I'd not call Derry dangerous at all, I would be slightly wary of parking a southern reg car in (very few)certain areas of the waterside, but it's maybe better to be safe than sorry. In saying that, a lot of the newer estates would be mixed and very safe, Foxhill being one of them, for example.

Nightlife in the waterside isn't great either, most decent pubs and restaurants are in the city centre and surrounding cityside areas.

Do you want your child going to a Catholic, Protestant or mixed school? Or does it not matter?
    My wife,Granddaughter and I are looking to relocate to Ireland probably in 12/18 months.I`m interested in Derry as staying within the UK may be the easiest path-would it be advisable to look in the Waterside area primarily?We would have our UK mainland registered car with us .

I'd be inclined to say Waterside if you are on a budget. Cityside if you want to be handier to the town for work and or nightlife.

UK reg car is no issue in any part of the town, a lot of cars over here would be imported from southern England.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Orbitaal

RobMc59 wrote: »
    My wife,Granddaughter and I are looking to relocate to Ireland probably in 12/18 months.I`m interested in Derry as staying within the UK may be the easiest path-would it be advisable to look in the Waterside area primarily?We would have our UK mainland registered car with us .

Car is fine if mainland uk plates, my own car has mainland plates. There are hardline estates on both side of the sectarian divide which are best avoided. Im a catholic living on the waterside and I never have any trouble because its a newer mixed estate. Estate agents and letting agents should give u honest advice but if u have specific questions message me directly.

300k will buy you a lot of house in Derry.

Most areas are fine wrt accents, where you're from, car reg etc. It's only the rougher areas you'd need to avoid, and to be honest if your budget is 300k, you'll be able to buy nice neighbours!

When you say east Derry, do you mean East Derry city, I.e.the waterside or East bank of the Foyle? Or the county?

Are you working in the city itself? Do you might commuting much or would you like a short commute, to walk/cycle etc?

Would you like to be central to town or out in the countryside?

East County.

I'm working in north Antrim but I'd feel more comfortable in east Derry.

Ok.

I'm from the city itself. So don't have much knowledge of the housing market in the county.

Maybe pick-up a town or village in Derry near where you think you might like to live, then go on propertypal and do some searching.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 giugiuya

vgdfhbdng h

vxfbdfbgn

bfgnmhnv

bfgnhmhnnf

nghnjnfg

• Registered Users Posts: 8 fesilghanimdalsharari

My wife and I looked at housing a year ago, we also wondered about this question...

Advertisement