Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Landlord asking for photo ID before viewing?

• 11-07-2019 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭

A landlord has asked me to send a copy of photo ID before arranging a viewing. I have no problem providing this after a viewing, if I decide to make an offer, but I am hesitant to do so before viewing, considering identity fraud etc.

Is this now the norm?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Tomw86

Never heard of this to be honest. Would be hesitant to do that myself - maybe suggest you bring it with you for the viewing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭runswithascript

Tomw86 wrote: »
    Never heard of this to be honest. Would be hesitant to do that myself - maybe suggest you bring it with you for the viewing?

Yes, that is what I did. I did supply a payslip, but I removed my PPSN.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Complain to the Data Protection Commissioner. It is excessive see that kind of data prior to viewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭runswithascript

is there a good guide somewhere on renting, what to ask, if anything other than the key, before handing over a deposit etc.?

I was just looking at a place that has a viewing tonight and the ad has been taken down. This may very well be because they do not want any more interest, but I am trying to be careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

Complain to the Data Protection Commissioner. It is excessive see that kind of data prior to viewing.

Common sense to me. I’ve rented a property to tenants who provided false identification and false references. Didn’t pay rent for 12 months and carried on criminal activity which involved visits from the guards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭usernamegoes

Common sense to me. I’ve rented a property to tenants who provided false identification and false references. Didn’t pay rent for 12 months and carried on criminal activity which involved visits from the guards.

Maybe for people who you are actually offering the property to otherwise it is excessive.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭subrosa

The DPC looked into the issue of photo ID in their 2018 Annual Report. The commission said:

The collection of photo identities in the lettings process prior to a lease being agreed was raised as a concern by individuals contacting this office. The DPC can see no basis for requiring photo identity at application stage (pre-tenancy) in the absence of any legitimate business reason requiring same. The DPC considers that landlords and lettings agents may cite legitimate reasons for requesting and retaining the photo identity of a tenant renting their property, once the contract is signed.
    The report is here

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

subrosa wrote: »
    The DPC looked into the issue of photo ID in their 2018 Annual Report. The commission said:

The report is here
    But they will do nothing about it. Typical of the Irish " Its a disgrace Joe" attitude

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Generally they don't need to do anything other than educate the other party to stop them doing it.

subrosa wrote: »

The report is here

They made a similar point on PPSNs and Banks Statements in earlier reports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭jim-mcdee

They are looking for it because trouble maker's won't give it.

jim-mcdee wrote: »
    They are looking for it because trouble maker's won't give it.

Just so we know what you mean by troublemaker. Is it anyone who wishes for the law to be respected by their landlord? Any law?

We know that landlords can get away with using illegal techniques to their perceived advantage because it's a difficult market for tenants, but they must own the fact that they are breaking the law, that's all people are saying here.

Now if I had a choice between a professional landlord like a REIT and a chancer breaking the law because he know he can get away with it then I know who I'd choose, but that won't always be the case sadly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

Irish or Non Nationals?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,227 ✭✭✭✭elperello

What is the point of sending the photo id prior to viewing ?
    Surely it cannot be verified until the actual viewing.

It should be enough to produce id at viewing and provide a copy only if actually renting.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭jim-mcdee

Just so we know what you mean by troublemaker. Is it anyone who wishes for the law to be respected by their landlord? Any law?

We know that landlords can get away with using illegal techniques to their perceived advantage because it's a difficult market for tenants, but they must own the fact that they are breaking the law, that's all people are saying here.

Now if I had a choice between a professional landlord like a REIT and a chancer breaking the law because he know he can get away with it then I know who I'd choose, but that won't always be the case sadly.

Nothing illegal about asking for someone's ID I believe. If you are too paranoid to provide it, no harm no foul

Nothing illegal about asking for someone's ID I believe. If you are too paranoid to provide it, no harm no foul

Read the GDPR and implementing regulations in Ireland Data Protection Acts 1988 - 2018. As a professional landlord and data controller I presume you're compliant?

Again, I get that landlords have the upper hand, still doesn't make it right. It's nothing about paranoia, it's about following the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

Anyone can advertise a property and claim to be a landlord and ask for photo ID... If they're asking for photo ID I'd pass... Heaven knows what they'll do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I always ask to see official ID : passport preferably or drivers license - that way I know at minimum the real name of whom I am dealing with. I ask for it to be brought to a viewing - if you dont then you dont get to rent,simples. Its as important as a reference and ability to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Never was asked when viewing etc but vodafone would not rent me a dongle without passport or driving licence. That was years back. No ID no dongle

I always ask to see official ID : passport preferably or drivers license - that way I know at minimum the real name of whom I am dealing with. I ask for it to be brought to a viewing - if you dont then you dont get to rent,simples. Its as important as a reference and ability to pay.

We get the landlords have the upper hand and could ask for all sorts of personal data at viewing that it is illegal to process that early e.g. PPSN, bank statements, etc, and desperate people will provide it.

All I am saying is that professional landlords should follow the law whether they have the upper hand or not.

EDIT
    I think asking to see the photo ID without taking a copy is a much more minor form for processing the personal data, and an argument could be made to justify that at the viewing stage. I'd be interested to here the DPC's opinion on this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

sasta le wrote: »
    Irish or Non Nationals?

Non nationals

• Registered Users Posts: 23,251 ✭✭✭✭ted1

By trouble maker I’m sure he also means someone who is going to cause him hassle. The landlord wants a simple life. If someone wants the landlord to trust them with their property which is worth several hundred thousand Euro’s but thinks showing ID is wrong that’s a sign they are going to give hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Is this now the norm?

Not the norm but its a renters market. LL can ask for anything he/she wants. You don't have to give it of course but then you get to view the property.

Lls could have over 100 people replying to the ad. They are looking at different ways to eliminate time wasters or people the deem unsuitable. This LL seems to believe that they can weed out some unsuitable ones by seeing Id upfront. I don't see how that works but they are entitled to ask for it if they want

• Registered Users Posts: 23,251 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Not the norm but its a renters market. LL can ask for anything he/she wants. You don't have to give it of course but then you get to view the property.

Lls could have over 100 people replying to the ad. They are looking at different ways to eliminate time wasters or people the deem unsuitable. This LL seems to believe that they can weed out some unsuitable ones by seeing Id upfront. I don't see how that works but they are entitled to ask for it if they want

They are verifying the identity. Take a female landlord organising a viewing. For her security she wants to know the identity of the stranger who will be in the house alone with her.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,871 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

We get the landlords have the upper hand and could ask for all sorts of personal data at viewing that it is illegal to process that early e.g. PPSN, bank statements, etc, and desperate people will provide it.

All I am saying is that professional landlords should follow the law whether they have the upper hand or not.

EDIT
    I think asking to see the photo ID without taking a copy is a much more minor form for processing the personal data, and an argument could be made to justify that at the viewing stage. I'd be interested to here the DPC's opinion on this.

How do you know that the landlord isn't complying with data protection legislation? You assume that they aren't but that is a big jump to take.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

ted1 wrote:
    They are verifying the identity. Take a female landlord organising a viewing. For her security she wants to know the identity of the stranger who will be in the house alone with her.

Sounds reasonable enough to me now that you put it that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

ted1 wrote: »

Doesnt have to be a female, its just general protection for all landlords

ted1 wrote: »
    By trouble maker I’m sure he also means someone who is going to cause him hassle. The landlord wants a simple life. If someone wants the landlord to trust them with their property which is worth several hundred thousand Euro’s but thinks showing ID is wrong that’s a sign they are going to give hassle.

A troublemaker is anyone who wishes the law is followed? This is a sign of how bad its gotten! We need supply to increase so the law can be followed.
    Del2005 wrote: »
    How do you know that the landlord isn't complying with data protection legislation? You assume that they aren't but that is a big jump to take.

Art 5(c) personal data shall be adequate, relevant, and limited to what is necessary.

The DPC has told us before that this is not the case pre-signing of the lease.

It has also told us there is no lawful basis under Art 6.

Doesnt have to be a female, its just general protection for all landlords

Are you in favor of landlords giving their ID to member of the public who show up to viewing, for their safety too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Are you in favor of landlords giving their ID to member of the public who show up to viewing, for their safety too?

Yep. i think both sides need to.be sure who they are meeting.

Advertisement