Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Specs for cat6 and speaker cabling for build tender

• 02-07-2019 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭

Hi

I'm about to renovate a house and I'm adding cat 6 everywhere and also yamaha ceiling speakers with sonos amps. I'm looking for some advise on exact spec for the cat 6 and speaker cabling if anyone here could please point me in the right direction. I'll be installing ubiquiti POE APs and probably one or 2 Hikvision POE cams.

Thanks for any help..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

There are really two types of cable, solid core and stranded

Solid core tends to be used in fixed runs, is cheaper and less flexible.

Stranded core is more expensive (orders of magnitude) and tends to be used for patch leads where the cable is moved around a lot.

Cat6 solid core is online for approx €50 for 100 meters and stranded for €290

Cat6a solid core is online for approx €100 for 100 meters and stranded for €350

If money is no object go for stranded everywhere, if its real word then solid to boxes and make custom (exact length required) patch cables from the stranded.

I would be more concerned about ensuring that all cables are tested marked and labeled properly.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Add additional cables to additional locations in case you want to extend your cctv in the future. My semi-d has 6 hikvision cameras but I have an 8 channel NVR, so I can add in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Ro-76

kceire wrote: »
    Add additional cables to additional locations in case you want to extend your cctv in the future. My semi-d has 6 hikvision cameras but I have an 8 channel NVR, so I can add in the future.

Thanks for the replies. Did you install the cameras yourself or get a security contractor to do it? Are there issues around data protection?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Ro-76 wrote: »
    Hi

I'm about to renovate a house and I'm adding cat 6 everywhere and also yamaha ceiling speakers with sonos amps. I'm looking for some advise on exact spec for the cat 6 and speaker cabling if anyone here could please point me in the right direction. I'll be installing ubiquiti POE APs and probably one or 2 Hikvision POE cams.

Thanks for any help..

My 2c. Do not put speakers in the ceilings, poor sound quality, and poor ventilation.

I speak from experience, I had 6 zone sonis with ceiling speakers, and have removed all ceiling speakers now, filled the holes and plastered.

Aim for wall speakers, or shelf mounted sonos /smart speakers.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Ro-76

My 2c. Do not put speakers in the ceilings, poor sound quality, and poor ventilation.

I speak from experience, I had 6 zone sonis with ceiling speakers, and have removed all ceiling speakers now, filled the holes and plastered.

Aim for wall speakers, or shelf mounted sonos /smart speakers.

Is the sound really that bad? I knew that they wouldn't sound as well as free standing speakers, but it was really just a compromise in terms of having a clean unobtrusive look. I'm not looking for audiophile quality sound. Did the lack of ventilation cause problems? I'm planning to put fireproof speaker hoods above each speaker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Yeah, to be honest, while I am not an audiophile myself, the sound quality, at higher volumes was poorer, with the speaker vibrating etc.

I took out 12 of those speakers. My house is a bungalow, so the draught issue was definitely there, you could feel it some times when sitting underneath them.

I have a bit of a rule now that I advise people, which is dont build in anything electronic into the structure of your home. Electronics do not last as long as block and stone, and you will end out replacing it at some stage. If you can avoid it, I would.

I love sonos,.great but if kit, had it since it came out nearly, and for about ten years. Six rooms, six zones in the house, all with ceiling speakers (good quality ones, but not audiophile level).

I have gotten rid of all the sonos now, was sad to see them go, but replaced them with self standing smart speakers, mostly Google homes, but in the main room where we listen to.mis8c regularly, got a really good Harman kardon smart speaker, and sound quality is better by miles to my ceiling mounted sonos.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Ro-76 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. Did you install the cameras yourself or get a security contractor to do it? Are there issues around data protection?

I have family on that side of the business so I got them to do it. I done all the cable runs etc and will be running another cable this weekend as I just built a side garage / store over my side entrance so I’ll add another camera purely because I can.

I have the cameras orientated to cover my own property, I don’t have any of the facial recognition software and the images are deleted after a particular time, so I’m pretty confident that I’m not breaching any privacy or data issues but you should look into that side of things yourself to satisfy for your personal set up.

There was a piece about it in the papers a while back. I’ll try root it out.

UK but may help - https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/domestic-cctv-using-cctv-systems-on-your-property/domestic-cctv-using-cctv-systems-on-your-property

Irish paper - https://www.independent.ie/business/farming/legal-advice/why-your-cctv-system-could-be-breaking-the-law-36543060.html

Advertisement