Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Turning very warm or hot with thunderstorm potential Sun eve 23rd---->

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,106 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

The 18Z GFS is just strange, a write off of a run in my opinion.

The unconscious bias in me puts more confidence in the ECM for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭esposito

JCX BXC wrote: »

The unconscious bias in me puts more confidence in the ECM for now.

Isn’t the 18Z GFS run almost always a write off anyway?!

The only runs I take seriously are the 12Z and 00Z ECM, GFS & UKMO.

esposito wrote: »
    Isn’t the 18Z GFS run almost always a write off anyway?!

The only runs I take seriously are the 12Z and 00Z ECM, GFS & UKMO.

I'm not particularly accustomed to the new version of the GFS, and the 18Z can be somewhat useful at times, but unfortunately it seems as if it's done it's usual thing of being strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Luke-m

The old gfs is different. It shows higher pressure and warmer 850s. I think the newer model has a few gremlins to iron out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭squarecircles

MT predicting a high of 28 during the hot spell next week,warmest inland west, the flow will be from the southeast so cooler along east/south facing coasts with sea fog/low cloud.

• Advertisement

GFS 0Z still very cautious, not wanting to get those higher 850's over Ireland. Showing fairly ****e temperatures.

The 0Z ECM however is still as beautiful as the runs before it. Ending it all by Saturday however.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,268 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

MT predicting a high of 28 during the hot spell next week,warmest inland west, the flow will be from the southeast so cooler along east/south facing coasts with sea fog/low cloud.

Sea fog... That'll be 14 degrees then

lawred2 wrote: »
    Sea fog... That'll be 14 degrees then

And I hope you jinx it!

It's not my prediction... I've felt first hand the effect sea fog has on regional temps. Happened quite a bit around here during the hot spell last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Sea fog is a slow moving phenomenon in a slow moving atmosphere
    It's not as prevalent when you have a driving flow like we will have next week as opposed to just the sea breezes you get under the type of meandering high pressure systems we had last year

The biggest drag on temps anywhere looks to me like active thunderstorms ....

• Advertisement

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Sea fog is a slow moving phenomenon in a slow moving atmosphere
    It's not as prevalent when you have a driving flow like we will have next week as opposed to just the sea breezes you get under the type of meandering high pressure systems we had last year

The biggest drag on temps anywhere looks to me like active thunderstorms ....

Sounds good to me...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

The 06z run is not following ukmo and ecm....no real heat evident all week tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Status Yellow - Rainfall warning for Waterford

Persistent, and at times, heavy rain during Sunday will lead to accumulations between 25 to 40mm.
    There is potential for this warning to be extended to include other counties.

Valid: Sunday 23 June 2019 05:00 to Sunday 23 June 2019 21:00

Issued: Saturday 22 June 2019 11:00

Updated: Saturday 22 June 2019 11:00

The 06z run is not following ukmo and ecm....no real heat evident all week tbh

poor old gfs 06z, hopefully it will have smelled the coffe by evening time

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

Based on some of the latest runs, it is all going pear shaped. I'm expecting a week of muggy weather with temps of 16 to 18 and maybe 21 at best in sunshine. Some distant rumbles of storms affecting Wales and the Irish Sea. We will miss out while Wales and England sizzle and rumble.

Based on some of the latest runs, it is all going pear shaped. I'm expecting a week of muggy weather with temps of 16 to 18 and maybe 21 at best in sunshine. Some distant rumbles of storms affecting Wales and the Irish Sea. We will miss out while Wales and England sizzle and rumble.

The ECM AND UKMO are still onboard for a hot week,most models are infact,except the GFS, its classic GFS behaviour, it picked up on the plume first,then it likes to backtrack - drop the idea,before coming onboard again.

PLUS we could be having our first rumbles of thunder as soon as tomorrow night.

You're basing this off just the GFS?

Theres a muggy quality to the air here in West Mayo already,very dead outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

Even the gfs solution could see temps approach high twenties in sheltered parts of the North and west by the end of the week.
    Don't be suprised if the hottest spots end up being western coastal fringes of Ireland and Wales, especially to the lee of high ground.

Elevated storms can pop anywhere with little warning, Monday looks interesting.
    Its going to be a very unusual pattern, regardless of how the specific details through the week chop and change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Even the GFS isn't that pessimistic... you can also add 2-3c to the 2m temperatures that the GFS shows because of its cold bias.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

I know I shouldn't but yes I am. I really want us all to have a hot thundery week. Im not being pessimistic for the sake of it and should know by now that the GFS can throw out deviations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

I know I shouldn't but yes I am. I really want us all to have a hot thundery week. Im not being pessimistic for the sake of it and should know by now that the GFS can throw out deviations.

It's not currently the perceived wisdom of forecasters at the moment that the 06Z gfs is anywhere near the mark
    So relax :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Why are people replying to this WUM? Anytime anything interesting is happening with our weather they turn up with their act.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Please keep on topic , also you can report PM’s from the PM itself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Please keep on topic , also you can report PM’s from the PM itself
    Not on mobile?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Great news. Potential for heavy rain and warm temperatures.

Silage is just cut and baled.
    Slurry will be getting spread Monday/ Tuesday.
    Rain to wash it in and warm temperatures to encourage growth :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

The Ironman competition in youghal tomorrow looks like a complete washout. So much so it could even be called off!! Rain looks persistent and heavy throughout

my oh my.

[IMG][/img]fc4sg5.png

xd5edd.png

• Advertisement

The persistence of the ECM and ICON in regards to this spell is quite impressive.

Advertisement